Thread: Need help with imaging-software

Need help with imaging-software

I am searching for a software that can split movie files into image-frames ( so that I can modify them ) and vice versa. I searched the sites of some local companies, but found nothing sensible ( most were either too good in their options or too bad ). It should at least be able to work with .avi and .wmv files, anything else is addition. Does anyone have suggestion on what software to use ( maybe there is even some freeware/ shareware around? ) and where to buy it?
    Thanks in advance.
    We came in peace, for all mankind - Apollo 11

Take a look at downloads.com for freeware, shareware and trial versions for all types of programs.
    Member, TrekRPGnet Development Team | OD&D Guild - The Guild for Original (Classic) D&D | FlintGamers |Free Web Hosting

you might want to try http://www.videohelp.com/, they have a lot of good tutorials and resources for video stuff, like dvd, vcd, etc.

Photoshop's sister application, ImageReady, can edit movies completely (and save them again in a reconstituted form).

Painter from Corel, is a nice animation (and natural medium painting) application that can do a similiar thing.

Hope this helps.

Cool, I didn't know Image Ready did that *plays with files* Image ready does seem quite picky about what it will load, but it austensibly supports most major formats, though it's very slow with movies of any lengths, it's not exactly ideal. After effects would be better, but then it's also quite expensive! (Premier is overkill! )
    Ta Muchly

What's cool about ImageReady is that you can "tinker" with the frames in a Photoshop-like manner (i.e. clone out blemishes, mask out backgrounds, enhance colour, etc.). So if you're familiar with Photoshop (and who isn't these days?), then there's almost no learning curve. As far as I understand, Premier is mainly an editing application while After Effects just does fancy movie effects (like animated lens flares and title sequences).

Painter is great for simplistic hand-sketched animations. I think that movie "Waking Life" was "enhanced" in Painter, frame by frame. And Painter works brilliantly with a graphics tablet.

To be fair to after effects, it's more of a motion Photoshop, and many Photoshop plugins can be applied in a changing way (I.e. having your lensflare, as mentioned, follow a point in the movie). It's an extremelly good compositing and layering package though, which is often what it's used for!
    Ta Muchly

Thank you all folks, I will look into this. It appears Image Ready might be precisely what I am searching for. Thanks again
    We came in peace, for all mankind - Apollo 11