Thread: My new CODA game -- setting books?

Smile My new CODA game -- setting books?

This is my first post here so I wanted to say a big "hi" first.
    HI!

Now, I'm starting a CODA campaign, and I'm wondering about useful setting books from other Trek lines. I got the DS9 Narrator's toolkit from LUG's, and the stuff on Bajorans/Cardassians and Ferengi was quite meaty for such a thin book, and more than enough to start my game using these races. So I ask: How much setting/races information are there in the TOS and TNG toolkit books? And which old LUG/FASA books are worth getting for setting info?

Thanks guys!

Live long and prosper

The CODA stuff is all pretty good -- especially the Aliens and Starships guides. I don't have much use for the Creatures guide, which I got as a gift. There's some fam based stuff like Killer Whale's excellent Expanded Starship Operations guide, and my Artificial Lifeforms and Alien Compendium, which you can find links to on this site and the ferengi blue room site.

The LUG stuff I found most helpful was the Andorian and Vulcan guides, which I still use with some tweakng for Enterprise stuff.

The TOS and TNG toolkit books really didn't have any setting material in the way the DS9 one did. I don't know enough about FASA to say anything, but the main LUG setting books are Vulcan and Andor. Next in relevant value comes the Neutral Zone Campaign book. It starts with the setting but then moves on to prewritten adventures. If you want one book with many unconnected settings, there's Planets of the UFP. The TNG corebook has additional (previous) information about the Neutral Zone setting, and the TOS corebook has a setting about Augments. About the last of the books that sound to me to be relevant to you is the Player's Guide, which has a chapter about a setting. To the best of my memory, none of the books I haven't mentioned sound like they'd be particularly useful to what you asked about.

Smile

Thanks a lot, Cochcrane and Black Campbell, you both told me exactly what I wanted to know. Off to the store, now! : )

Thanks!!

- Dylan Dog

Firstly welcome to the boards !

Hmm yes Coda is fairly short on actual adenture material.. which is one of the reasons I post here, to get ideas!

Gandalf Of borg's Final Frontier webzine has some really nice source stuff too, including some planets and systems in the last one I believe. I can't recommend the ESO enough! but it's not quite what you need.

If you're looking for a DS9 campaign, the (non roleplay) DS9 technical manual is useful, because it includes floor plans of the Promenade and sections of the place, as a gaming aid.

Owen E Oulton's site has a huge back log of ICON stuff from this site, and some of his own material and deck plans! http://www.coldnorth.com/owen/relic.htm Tres cool also!
    Ta Muchly

I guess when I typed that one post I hadn't noticed that you were interested in race stuff. The Player's Guide I already mentioned is also good for that. And I think at least one of the books I didn't list has at least one racial template.

Talking

Thanks again, Cochrane! : )
    Well, I went shopping online today and got The Way of D'era, The Way of Kolinahr
    and The Price of Freedom (couldn't find the "Planets of the UFP" one yet, but a buddy of mine may sell me his copy . These are all on their Loooooong way via surface mail to Brazil, bought new from Amazon market place (how "new" is new? Will they come in decent packaging? Will they take to long to arrive! PAIN!! PAIN!! )

I went to the local game store and found the Andorians book there, simply sitting on the shelf, brand new! : ) I'm halfway through it... these LUG books are GOOD! : )

I like all of the Star Trek Coda books but Decipher only produced 4 free adventures for STRPG, all of which are available at their web site: www.decipher.com. I have played through one of them.

I recommend any and all of the LUG adventure books for Star Trek. I have played through one of those adventures so far.

I also have several FASA adventures but I have not used any of them. Because I'm not playing Star Trek much these days, I plan on selling my ST FASA adventures. If you're interested in any of them, just shoot me an email to jcalternity@aol.com & I'll list the ones I have.

--Derek.

Quote Originally Posted by Dylan Dog
    These are all on their Loooooong way via surface mail to Brazil, bought new from Amazon market place (how "new" is new? Will they come in decent packaging? Will they take to long to arrive! PAIN!! PAIN!! )
    Well, it's been a year: Tell us please, how well packed were they?! And how new is new?!

The TOS toolkit is awesome. It's GMing advice, mostly focussed on adventure creation, but it's really good. There's a decent adventure in the back too.

Quote Originally Posted by Cochrane
    I guess when I typed that one post I hadn't noticed that you were interested in race stuff. The Player's Guide I already mentioned is also good for that. And I think at least one of the books I didn't list has at least one racial template.
    Also, if you hunt around for Alien Compendium in the search function, you should find the movie-era aliens that I slapped together with the aid of Sho-sa here on the boards.