Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DVD you'd like to see.

DVD you'd like to see.

One of my favorite movies just never seems to get onto DVD -- the 1962 version of Mutiny on the Bounty . The incredible soundtrack by Bronislau Kaper's finally hit CD; I just hope that's a prelude to the movie.

Blade Runner

I want the original (non-director's cut) version of Blade Runner, with the Deckard voice-over.

The best chance for this was the 3-disc Special Edition that was completed (three versions of the film!) but never released.

Based on the legal hangups, it will probably never be released.
    Mass Effect Fate RPG | "Mass Effect meets Fate meets awesome = FREE"
    Contributor, Gnome Stew
    "In every revolution, there's one man with a pizza."
    Star Trek (TOS) "Pizza, Pizza" (Second season), story by D.S.McBride

Salinas, Calif., USA (a Chiefs fan in an unholy land)
    Kenneth Brannagh's Hamlet.
    Davy Jones

"Frightened? My dear, you are looking at a man who has laughed in the face of death, sneered at doom, and chuckled at catastrophe! I was petrified."
    -- The Wizard of Oz

I want the original (non-director's cut) version of Blade Runner, with the Deckard voice-over.
    Without wanting to look too smug, I have an ex-rental VHS copy of this. I picked it up at a boot-sale for about 50p (errr.....about 80c, I think).

:-)

Cheers

Tas

*looking only a tad smug*
    "Wherever you go....there you are!"

I am with Don.

Give me Blade Runner as I saw it in the theatres damnit!

Quote Originally Posted by Don Mappin

The best chance for this was the 3-disc Special Edition that was completed (three versions of the film!) but never released.

Based on the legal hangups, it will probably never be released.
    Counting sneak previews and workprints, Blade Runner actually had seven different versions. (Check out Paul Sammon's Future Noir: The Making of Blade Runner.)

As for the voice-overs, Ridley Scott once said that he didn't have a problem with the idea of them but that the voice-overs that were actually written were rather vacuous, redundantly expository

I think the thing that makes the director's cut superior to the theatrical release is the elimination of the tacked-on happy ending with Deckard flying off into the sunset with replicant Rachel (which was actually discarded stock footage from Stanley Kubrick's The Shining.) It was anti-thetical to the themes of the film and even more so to the original book.
    "The American Eagle needs both a right wing and a left wing in order to fly."
    -paraphrase of Bill Moyers

The movie I want to see on DVD is The Resurrected starring Chris Sarandon. Its probably the best adaptation of H.P. Lovecraft's "The Case of Charles Dexter Ward."
    "The American Eagle needs both a right wing and a left wing in order to fly."
    -paraphrase of Bill Moyers

I think what makes the Director's Cut inferior is that Scott picked up on the fan notion that Decard was a replicant and adds in the unicorn sequence (footage from his movie Legend) to support it.

The original was very film noir/pulp and, like Dirty Harry before it, was the story of a cop realizing that he wasn't very different from the criminals he pursued.

7 versions eh?

Put me down for the original Blade Runner (or both versions) and Highlander on DVD.

Yes I know Highlander is already out on a Plain Vanilla disc, but sooner or later there will be a special edition (and no, I dont want a box set of all the films, just the good one)...

Usually the specialsare nnounced for released the week after I buy the film.
    DanG/Darth Gurden
    The Voice of Reason and Sith Lord

“Putting the FUNK! back into Dysfunctional!”

Coming soon. The USS Ganymede NCC-80107
    "Ad astrae per scientia" (To the stars through knowledge)

Quote Originally Posted by AslanC
    I think what makes the Director's Cut inferior is that Scott picked up on the fan notion that Decard was a replicant and adds in the unicorn sequence (footage from his movie Legend) to support it.

The original was very film noir/pulp and, like Dirty Harry before it, was the story of a cop realizing that he wasn't very different from the criminals he pursued.

7 versions eh?
    Actually, Aslan, in Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep (the short story on which Bladerunner was based) he was a replicant, IIRC. It was nothing to do with the fans - Scott was trying to make the film more faithful to the story. I personally much preferred the Director's Cut.

But on-topic...I want to see the early 1980s mini-series BBC production of The Day of the Triffids on DVD. I saw it back when it was first released and loved it (we were doing DotT at school - I was in Year 10, IIRC - and it sponsored many a class discussion).

DotT has always been one of my favourite novels, the the 1950s movie was dreadful. The 80s mini, however, was faithful to the story, and extremely well made.

*sigh*
    When you are dead, you don't know that you are dead. It is difficult only for others.

It's the same when you are stupid...

Quote Originally Posted by Aldaron
    Actually, Aslan, in Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep (the short story on which Bladerunner was based) he was a replicant, IIRC.
    Nope. Deckard is not a replicant in the book, or more to the point, it never, ever becomes an issue. There is no question of it in the book. Also the book is pretty far off from the movie. That said I haven't read it in over 10 years.

Anywho, some like one over the other, some like both or all.

Me I like the one I saw in the theatre (also Blade Runner on VHS holds the record for the movie I have seen the most time, somewhere around 65 viewings to date. There would be more, but can't find the original anywhere in widescreen )

There is a Highlander extended DVD in North America DG

Quote Originally Posted by AslanC
    Preach it, brother.
    Contributor, Gnome Stew

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Gurden
    Put me down for the original Blade Runner (or both versions) and Highlander on DVD.
    There is a bad-ass, super-edition of Highlander on DVD here in the US. Missing scenes, reworked special effects, anamorphic 16x9 support. I highly recommend it.
    Contributor, Gnome Stew

Quote Originally Posted by Aldaron
    But on-topic...I want to see the early 1980s mini-series BBC production of The Day of the Triffids on DVD. I saw it back when it was first released and loved it (we were doing DotT at school - I was in Year 10, IIRC - and it sponsored many a class discussion).

*sigh*
    No need to sigh. Last week, this one got a Region 2 DVD release. Nothing special, no extras or anything, and sneaking past most peoples radar.

But not mine, and I highly enjoyed watching it again.
    http://www.play.com/play247.asp?pa=m...2&title=619637

Apparently Aunty Beeb is releasing all her one-off sci-fi's on DVD soon.
    DanG/Darth Gurden
    The Voice of Reason and Sith Lord

“Putting the FUNK! back into Dysfunctional!”

Coming soon. The USS Ganymede NCC-80107
    "Ad astrae per scientia" (To the stars through knowledge)

I'd dearly love to find the Richard Stanley movie Hardware on DVD. It was almost universally reviled by sci-fi critics when it came out in 1990 (IIRC), but it's always been one of my favs. Any movie with Iggy Pop as an angry radio DJ and Lemmy Kilmeister as a boat/cab driver rocks in my world.

I know of a region 2 German (bootleg) edition out there but I can't find anything here in North America.

LQ
    Drunken DM and the Speak with Dead spell: "No, I'm not the limed-over skeleton of the abbot, and no this special key in my boney fingers does not open the door to the secret treasury! ... Oh crap."