Thread: Scientific conference falls for gibberish prank

Talking Scientific conference falls for gibberish prank

A brave little theory, and actually quite coherent for a system of five or seven dimensions -- if only we lived in one.

Academician Prokhor Zakharov, "Now We Are Alone"

Yup...having just done a conference on various interdisciplinary fields and having finished my thesis for my masters this semester I can really get a chuckle from this.

Academia is a MESS right now. The profs take themselves too seriously, considering how gullible they are, and how inane their work tends to be -- especially in the liberal arts.

It's one of the reasons I can't take the enviro-nutters seriously. Spurious science with results bent to fit the theory, coupled with rabid fear-mongering does not a proof make.

I remember the original paper from 1996. The 'elite' have learned nothing.

Hmm yes I say screw the environment and ignore common sense: Clearly pumping trillions of tonnes of poison into the atmosphere is GOOD for the environment

I've read the odd computing paper, in the interest of self knowledge, and yes, they often do read like that to me, because I have no idea what they are banging on about.. However you'd think the MIT staff MIGHT have had a better idea? !
    Ta Muchly

Remember you don't have to prove that it is good, you just have to attack the credibility of those who say it is bad. That way it automatically becomes good.

Another good one is to use Michael Crichton novels as a basis for arguing science in the Senate.

Sheesh... Just look at the trees that turn their leaves in the middle of summer and you can tell something is wrong with the environment.

Of course some Monsanto or Exxon style excutive would say "How do we know this isn't a natural cycle?" and everything is okay again.

AslanC - Proud to be from a nation that supports the Kyoto Protocol.

What I want to know is where was Black Campbellq going to take us before he found out we were environutters?
    Ta Muchly