Thread: Trek United Pulls Plug

Trek United Pulls Plug

Trek United Pulls Plug
    Organizers of Trek United, the fan fund-raising campaign to bring Star Trek: Enterprise back for a fifth season, abruptly pulled the plug on their effort amid mounting reports questioning the group's credibility.
    http://www.scifi.com/scifiwire2005/i...ory=0&id=30847

Question

Is Trek United a legitimate organization? I wonder.
    Anyhoo, just some random thoughts...

"My philosophy is 'you don't need me to tell you how to play -- I'll just provide some rules and ideas to use and get out of your way.'"
    -- Monte Cook

"Min/Maxing and munchkinism aren't problems with the game: they're problems with the players."
    -- excerpt from Guardians of Order's Role-Playing Game Manifesto

A GENERATION KIKAIDA fan

DISCLAIMER: I Am Not A Lawyer

TrekUnited stated that they had incorporated.
    Member, TrekRPGnet Development Team | OD&D Guild - The Guild for Original (Classic) D&D | FlintGamers |Free Web Hosting

The article also stated as did a few other on Sci Fi there was a debate if the motives were genuine. Personally I do not know. I would like to think that tehy were legit even if they wanted to bring back a show I hate. It at least showed the fan base is there. If these guys were not, I hope they get what is coming to them. Nothing is worse than having your fandom used against you.
    Hey my opinion

Without Star Trek: The Original Series there would be no other Trek Series or Movies regardless of shows rewriting the Series past.

Quote Originally Posted by REG
    Is Trek United a legitimate organization? I wonder.
    Yes, in order for Paramount to accept money from someone, that person or entity has to be a business. That is why they became "TrekUnited, Inc".
    Star Trek Character Builder

Plasma Bolt!! Plasma Bolt!!

Perhaps, but I have witnessed businesses that have ripped off their clients after monetary transactions are completed.

The questions now become, what will Trek United do with the money? Reimburse it back to their clients?

"My philosophy is 'you don't need me to tell you how to play -- I'll just provide some rules and ideas to use and get out of your way.'"
    -- Monte Cook

"Min/Maxing and munchkinism aren't problems with the game: they're problems with the players."

A GENERATION KIKAIDA fan

Being able to call onesself "Inc." does not necessarily make one a "legitimate" organization.

[gratuitous snark]
    Hence, Decipher, Inc.
    [/gratuitous snark]

And, of course, the assertion that "TrekUnited, Inc." was ever actually going to disburse any money to Paramount remains unproven.
    "It's hard being an evil genius when everybody else is so stupid" -- Quantum Crook

Yea, incorporating is very easy. Two people with some time and willing to pay a filing fee can become "incorporated" easily. I think even one person can do it. An LLC is even easier to file for.

Being incorporated doesn't add any legitimacy, IMO.

Shame to raise that money for nothing and just return it to the masses. Looks like only PayPal is making out on the deal.

Donate the money, I say. Try to cure cancer or feed some starving children.

Makes saving "Enterprise" seem kinda insignificant.
    Mass Effect Fate RPG | "Mass Effect meets Fate meets awesome = FREE"
    Contributor, Gnome Stew
    "In every revolution, there's one man with a pizza."
    Star Trek (TOS) "Pizza, Pizza" (Second season), story by D.S.McBride

Perhaps, but I have witnessed businesses that have ripped off their clients after monetary transactions are completed.

The questions now become, what will Trek United do with the money? Reimburse it back to their clients?
    Trek United to refund donations per terms of service which also states:
    All contributed money is used for the cause, minus the transaction fees charged to us by Paypal/the bank (set to a flat 5% because of the varying payment methods and individual fees; any excess in fees to be donated to American Tsunami relief).
    Member, TrekRPGnet Development Team | OD&D Guild - The Guild for Original (Classic) D&D | FlintGamers |Free Web Hosting

So, if you donated $5, PayPal get to keep a quarter (25 cents). Interesting.

-- Monte Cook

A GENERATION KIKAIDA fan

I honestly have trouble believing they raised over 3 million. But that's the cynic in me I guess. (that and I don't believe there were THAT many fans )
    Duct tape is like The Force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together.

- Carl Zwanzig

So, if you donated $5, PayPal get to keep a quarter (25 cents). Interesting.
    No, Paypal charges a fee based on the amount paid, so to make thing even they came up with the 5% charge, with anything left over after actual fees going to the Red Cross. I do not see the fees for refunds if any, so if they is and they are the same at the minimum (2.4% +$.30= 4.8% +.60 total fees per transaction, TrekUnited might lose money at 5% particularly on foreign donations as they charge 2.5% fee above the exchange rate.

Quote Originally Posted by IceGiant
    I honestly have trouble believing they raised over 3 million. But that's the cynic in me I guess. (that and I don't believe there were THAT many fans )
    The 3 million dollars was a pledge from a few persons that made it in the aerospace field. The remainder was $144,203 was direct cash contributions from various fans.

A single person can form a corporation. In my case, it is an S-corporation, which is intended for small business, and has certain rules that make it easier to handle the details. It takes money, paperwork, and time, that's all.