Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: We have a Pope!

Quote Originally Posted by REG
    [b]
    As for his German history, I can't really be certain. I know that not all Germans during the 1930s and 1940s are supportive of Nazis. And to publicly express such contrasting opinion will likely get them and their families arrested and "taken away."
    According to the BBC News World Service he was forced into Hitler Youth (mandatory at the time). His studies at the seminary were interrupted by his being drafted into an anti-aircraft unit. He deserted the German army towards the end of the war and was briefly held as a prisoner of war by the Americans.
    AKA Breschau of Livonia (mainly rpg forums)
    Gaming blog 19thlevel

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Stack
    I'm wondering if this discussion is heading to a place that might be more appropriate for the political area, but anyways...
    Yes, It has because we are talk about the selection of a head of state under one of the pope's many titles: Sovereign of the State of the Vatican City. This is another reason besides being named after a god and tradition & honoring previous popes. No one second guesses the Queen of UK/GB & NI of choosing a single name; granted they general choose their own first name. Just think of instead of this tradition having to use Prince Charles of Wales full name in all formal functions when he becomes king: Charles Philip Arthur George Mountbatten-Windsor.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Stack
    I believe the tradition of having the pope take a new name is related to that of the apostle Simon who was named Peter by Jesus and became the first pope. (Similarly there is the case of Saul who persecuted the Christians until he converted upon which he took the name Paul - though he never became pope)
    I think this is another way for the Catholic Church to continue to tie the position of the pope to Peter. Many historians consider Paul to be the founder of the church as he initated many policy to seperate it from Judaism (adopting Greek traditions of priests, etc.).

Thanks, Evan van Eyk, for giving a more detailed reasoning for the renaming than mine as I could not find the information on Mercurius/John II and forgot about the latinization.
    Member, TrekRPGnet Development Team | OD&D Guild - The Guild for Original (Classic) D&D | FlintGamers |Free Web Hosting

Quote Originally Posted by Aldaron
    Actually, I think the fact of Ratzinger's age indicates just what the Cardinals are trying to accomplish. By electing someone who is an arch-conservative, but elderly, they are sending the message that change is a comin', but not quite yet.

Picking a younger, more liberal candidate would have been too much, too soon after JPII's conservatism. Whereas going for Ratzinger means that, yeah, conservatism is still the order of the day, but it won't be for 26 years this time...

*shrug* All in my not-so-humble-opinion, of course!
    Which begs the question, why did he chose the name after Pope Benedict XV, who was considered to be a very liberal Pope? An ultra-conservative -- true to his nature -- would have taken after Pope Pius XIII.

Some would say it is to soften his image as a conservative when he was appointed by John Paul II as his theological advisor and the Keeper of Doctrinal Belief, a position he held until after the Pope John Paul II died and all cardinals are stripped of their duties, until the next Pope assigned them. Of course, one should note, Ratzinger was one of many liberal priests that were intrumental in the establishment of the Vatican II doctrine in 1960's.
    Anyhoo, just some random thoughts...

"My philosophy is 'you don't need me to tell you how to play -- I'll just provide some rules and ideas to use and get out of your way.'"
    -- Monte Cook

"Min/Maxing and munchkinism aren't problems with the game: they're problems with the players."
    -- excerpt from Guardians of Order's Role-Playing Game Manifesto

A GENERATION KIKAIDA fan

DISCLAIMER: I Am Not A Lawyer

Parked within 10 feet of 29 degrees, 57' N, 90 degrees, 8' W. Did I mention my new phone has GPS?
    Quote Originally Posted by REG
    Which begs the question, why did he chose the name after Pope Benedict XV, who was considered to be a very liberal Pope? An ultra-conservative -- true to his nature -- would have taken after Pope Pius XIII.
    It also helps tie in with the whole St. Malachy thing. From what I've read, the short little line for this pope has something to do with olives, and olives are a reference to the Benedictine order. The line from St. Malachy for John Paul II was "Labors of the sun", and JPII happened to have been born during an eclipse. (And an eclipse is one of the possible interpritations of the phrase) Sounds very self-fulfilling to me.

Link to the prophecies.
    Last edited by Cybrludite; 04-20-2005 at 04:15 AM.
    "If it ain't the Devil's music, you ain't doin' it right" -- Chris Thomas King

"C makes for an awfully long lever." - H. Beam Piper

He's stated that he intends to work towards peace, which ties into the choice of Benedict over Pious. Benedict XV tried hard to end WWI. They are also both scholars so that may be why he chose it too.

But yeah Malachy's predictions really do play into this as an olive branch is a symbol of peace, something Benedict XVI has said he'll work for.

If I remember correctly one of the previous Pious' (X I think) said that someone with his name would be the last pope and that he'd flee Rome over the corpses of his priests.
    There are three kinds of lies; lies, damned lies, and statistics.

Mark Twain

Thanks for the answers on the name thing. I've shared with my friends who also had the same questions.
    Mass Effect Fate RPG | "Mass Effect meets Fate meets awesome = FREE"
    Contributor, Gnome Stew
    "In every revolution, there's one man with a pizza."
    Star Trek (TOS) "Pizza, Pizza" (Second season), story by D.S.McBride