Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Series VI?!?

Originally posted by Hugh Casey:
    But first, they need a crew...
    Bridge crew is all wookies. Except for Navigator- she is mixed wookie/deltan, completely bald.

Some crew ideas...

First of all, if I could, I'd use Ro Laren! Think about it... a woman who gave up one of the most promising futures in SF to join the Maquis, only to see them butchered by the Dominion. All her dreams rent asunder. And now, having been paroled from a Federation prison, has... nothing. And nothing to lose. THIS IS DRAMA! If not Ro, then a character with a similar background. It's too good not to use. And this show needs a KICK-*SS FEMALE!

The more I think about him, the more I like the Pakled Engineer. Think about it... the Paks may not have been the sharpest cheese on the party platter, but they were VEEERRRRY SNEEEEKY! This would be the kind of person who constantly stuns you because you keep underestimating him. You know... what Neelix SHOULD HAVE BEEN! He would also probably be a great scrounger ("Where did you get that?" "Oh, I just... found it.").

The Klingon from a dishonored house has been done before (Worf, anyone?), but what about a Klingon from a DESTROYED house (inter-clan rivalry, perhaps?)? Maybe a bit of a risk-taker, he would probably form a certain friendshiip with Ro. (Both coming from great loss, trying to rebuild, working through grief) He'd also be a great larger-than-life character.

I wouldn't do both the Vulcan/Rom and the Cardie, so I'd just do the Romulan. I mean, a character with layer upon layer of secrets, and you keep discovering something new about her (I think she should be female... dunno why). Plus, what a great season ending cliffhanger, as her Tal Shiar hunters unmask her as their rogue agent! (Esp. if you leave little clues leading up to it... awwwww yeaaaah!)

A new idea... a "Green-Skinned Orion Slave Chick (tm)" who escaped from her master (perhaps Rosk's Rival?), who has been taken in by the crew and is protected by them (not that she needs it, but she'll take it!) And Rosk keeps her around because (a) she's useful and fairly skilled, (b) it gauls his enemy that he can't get her back, and (3) she has him wrapped around her little finger, and he knows it, but accepts it.

I'll come up with names soon. Meantime, give me feedback and come up with some other characters. WE NEED MORE HUMANS! (Too many aliens! Damned foreigners! )

Hugh

------------------
    "Sell your soul to the Philadelphia Science Fiction Society... ASK ME HOW!"

Make your first officer a human. A little young (too young to hold this post on a SF vessel), and naive, but very skilled. Is in awe of the captain due to his SF past. To me this makes an interesting twist on the First Officer character. Rather than being the collected, young hotshot, he's the one that get's into trouble, needing to be bailed out by the captain, who he sorta hero-worships.

Chris

------------------
    God promises a safe landing, not a calm passage.

What race do you plan on having the captain be? All four series have had a human capitan, and three of those have been men. If you are trying to create a feel that is distinctly Trek, but not extremely similar to one of the other series, why not try having fun with the captain? Perhaps it is time to let one of the other species get the big, comfy chair.

I dunno what species would work the best, but I think that with the 4 strong human captains we've seen, it will be necessary to try to make this one hard, if not impossible, to say he is just a rehash of a previous character.

Just My Random Thoughts,
    aaarrrgggghhh

AslanC Guest

Originally posted by Hugh Casey:
    A new idea... a "Green-Skinned Orion Slave Chick (tm)" who escaped from her master (perhaps Rosk's Rival?), who has been taken in by the crew and is protected by them (not that she needs it, but she'll take it!) And Rosk keeps her around because (a) she's useful and fairly skilled, (b) it gauls his enemy that he can't get her back, and (3) she has him wrapped around her little finger, and he knows it, but accepts it.
    Here's a thought, why not make your Kick-Ass female be the Green orion, who is constantly trying to prove to people that her kind are more than just "salve girls" and that sort of thinking is really behind the times. Would provide a double shot of the series hottie also being the powerful female (7of9 anyone?).

I think it might help push the series forward.

I stick by my idea that the Orion Syndicates should play a stronger role that the Ferengi, especially since the Ferengi are undergoing reforms, but the Syndicates are still the Mafiosa on the 24th Century!

AslanC Guest

Talking

Originally posted by aaarrrgggghhh:
    If you are trying to create a feel that is distinctly Trek, but not extremely similar to one of the other series, why not try having fun with the captain? Perhaps it is time to let one of the other species get the big, comfy chair.
    I agree whole heartedly! Maybe we need to see an alien here. Now that said what kind of Alien? Hmmm...we could see Andorian...or maybe a Bajoran. close enough to human, but not so out there as to make it all fall apart by being too weird.

Yup the more I think about it, your Captain should be a Bajoran. You can keep the main background of him being ex-starfleet, maybe even Maquis. He has turned his back ont he Prophets and his own people. As the sreies goes on, we learn he was supposed to be a Vedek but choose Starfleet despite his upbrining. A guy who just doesn't fit no matter where he goes. Like Ro he can wear his earcuff on the left in a direct snub of the religion of his people.

My two stips of latinum worth...

AslanC Guest

Question

No the hard part...what to call the ship?

The SS ???????

The name needs to have real character and not just be a throwaway. It has to say something about the crew and its' adventures.

Lightbulb

I think that the captain HAS to be human... Trek is about the HUMAN adventure, and the captain (as the central character), needs to be able to provide the human perspective. The alien races on Trek are not so much fully developed species as they are reflections of different aspects of ourselves (the Vulcans are rational, the Klingons, aggression, Ferengi are greed, etc.), and they provide insight into the human reactions to the different conflicts on the show. This is why I said we have enough aliens... we need HUMANS!

I like the idea of making the Orion a kick-*ss female in the 7of9 tradition... maybe we can have 2 butt kickers! (Ro Laren and a Green Skinned Slave Girl... Aaaahhhhhhh! They'd kill me, but I'd die happy!

Hugh

------------------
    "Sell your soul to the Philadelphia Science Fiction Society... ASK ME HOW!"

AslanC Guest

Why does the Captain HAVE to be human?

Sci-Fi fans can deal with non-human cpatians. That said I still suggest a Bajoran just so as it is not too far from human

Exclamation

I agree whole-heartedly with Hugh on the Captain issue. He/She needs to be human. Not only for the reasons he mentioned above, but also because your audiance needs to be able to relate to your main character, and while the Bajorian's are nearly human, it is, IMHO, better if the main character is fully human. Take a look at what happened on Earth: Final Conflict when the changed the main character to a half-human. Just my $.02.

Chris

------------------
    God promises a safe landing, not a calm passage.

I understand where you are coming from Hugh, but I don't think that the captain needs to be human. However, I don't want to start an argument over this, so if anyone else sees the need for a human captain, I will drop the issue.

The way I see it, the viewpoint of humanity doesn't necessarily need to be a single person. With this vessel having such a varied crew, couldn't the human viewpoint be expressed through the whole of the crew, and the ship? A good many races are aspects of humanity, magnified, so why not 'build' a Frankensteinian human out of these personalities?

Tradition has it that the human viewpoint is expressed through the captain, but I believe this would work. We could very easily have a human character on board that we could use as a comparison, to clarify the combined POV.

This probably makes little to no sense, but bear with me.

aaarrrgggghhh

I've always liked the idea of a younger Cardassian. All you'd need is one just old enough to serve. Their main conflict would be this: There people have lost all face in the Quadrant. They made a deal with the devil and were crushed for it. The character would then have to deal with under-the-surface contempt from everyone who ever lost someone close in a Cardassian conflict, not to mention the racism that naturally occurs so close after a war.

I like a Bajoran captain, but the earring on the left ear deal goes a little too far. Let the ex-Vedek speak for itself. Give him something in his past which he will always have to deal with. Don't make him so disagreeable that noone connects with him.

And just incase this vote counts any... I've always had this thing for Cardassian females. :]

I think the captain should be a race that we haven't seen in a while. For some reason my mind keeps going to the Angosians (that's what I get for playing Birth of the Federation) or even a Betazoid.

Arrow

RE: Captain or leading role.

I'm sorry, but whether you're a longtime sci-fi fan or just a casual viewer of Star Trek, This is still a human adventure show, and it is this premise that attract the mainstream audience to watch science fiction.

The leading role has to be human, which is what the viewers wish to relate, if not respect. They want to see humans relate to nonhumans.

Remember, they have to attract audience both old and new in order to keep the show on air. It's okay to have a different concept for the series, but I say that having a human leading role is its "sacred cow."

------------------
    Anyhoo, just some random thoughts...

Originally posted by Caretaker:
    I think the captain should be a race that we haven't seen in a while. For some reason my mind keeps going to the Angosians (that's what I get for playing Birth of the Federation) or even a Betazoid.
    Just a thought, one not have one of the Angosian's Super-Commandos on board. A sort of voluntary or involuntary exile, a warrior who is either seking redemption or escaping from his past crimes, real or imaginary.
    Sort of like Tyr Ansantzi on Andromeda, but more emotionaly messed up and possibly suffering from post traumatic syndrome.
    Any ideas?

------------------
    "Those Klingons are up to something, I can feel it in my bones"
    Cmmdr JT Wayland
    Strategic Operations Officer, Starbase 415, Dragomer Sector, Klingon Border, 2372