Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The many different faces of Star Trek RPGs

The many different faces of Star Trek RPGs

Hi all,

I was working on a thread at rpg.net concerning the many different versions of Star Trek rpgs released over the past 20+ years. I was trying to see if Trek holds the title for the most published versions of a roleplaying game. Here's the list we came up with:

1) 1978 - Star Trek: Adventure Gaming in the Final Frontier (Paramount & Heritage Models)

2) 1983 - Star Trek: The Role Playing Game, 1st ed. (FASA)

3) 1983 - Star Trek: The Role Playing Game, 2nd ed. (FASA)

4) 1993 - Prime Directive (Amarillo Design Bureau & Task Force Games)

5a) 1998 - Star Trek: The Next Generation Role Playing Game (Last Unicorn Games)
    5b) 1999 - Star Trek: Deep Space Nine Role Playing Game (Last Unicorn Games)
    5c) 1999 - Star Trek: Role Playing Game (Last Unicorn Games)

6) 2002 - Star Trek: Roleplaying Game (Decipher)

7) 2002 - GURPS Prime Directive, GURPS 3e rules (Amarillo Design Bureau & Steve Jackson Games)

8) 2005 - GURPS Prime Directive, GURPS 4e rules (Amarillo Design Bureau & Steve Jackson Games)

9) 2005 - d20 Prime Directive (Amarillo Design Bureau & Battlefield Press)*

10) 2005 - D6 Prime Directive (Amarillo Design Bureau & Final Sword Productions)*

11) 1982 - [unofficial] Starfleet Voyages (Terra Games)

Ten official and one unofficial versions of trek. Whew!! I listed the LUG games together since I was told the rule systems were pretty much the same across all three rulebooks. I was mainly looking to list all published rule systems one could use to play trek.

Did I miss any? I didn't include non-published works, but those can be added as well.

Finally, if you know of any other rpg title that's been published in so may rulesets, I'd like to hear about it. Please list the versions as well. Maybe another system has been bounced around even more than Star Trek!

danielc56

*I'm not sure if Battlefield Press & Final Sword Productions will be mentioned in the final product. I just used the 1st page of GURPS Prime Directive as an example.

Actually, none of the Prime Directive games are official versions of Star Trek. They are licensed by Franz Joseph Designs through a legal loophole , not Paramount, and are legally forbidden from using the name Star Trek.

Battlefield Press & Final Sword Productions will probably not be listed as publishers as they are being contract to produce the material as ADB can not sublicense them as it is a restricted license.

Prime Directive may be coming out as a second edition or printing of the original Tri-code rules and may be downloads only. Prime Directive Hero System may be in the works. Prehaps the great Steve Long might make a comment here if he can.

There are some more unofficial Star Trek RPG than just Starfleet Voyages. Here my document on Trek RPG systems that was going to be an article or forum post on this site (but you beat me to the post):

Star Trek RPG Systems From the Beginning...

Currently there is

Star Trek (Coda System)
    1st ed by Christian Moore, Ross Isaacs, Kenneth Hite, Steve Long (2002) Decipher

Before that there was the

Star Trek: The Next Generation Roleplaying Game
    Star Trek Roleplaying Game
    Star Trek: Deep Space Nine
    Icon System
    Last Unicorn Games

And we all know about the 1st or was it...???

Star Trek
    1st ed by Guy W. McLimore, Greg Poehlein, David Tepool (1982) FASA
    2nd ed by Wm John Wheeler (1983)

Nope, this was ...

Star Trek: Adventure Gaming in the Final Frontier
    1st ed by Michael Scott (1978) Heritage Models
    http://www.darkshire.net/jhkim/rpg/e...rtrek_heritage

And do you think that is all?

Guess again!!! There are a number of other RPG that emulated Star Trek:

Starships and Spacemen
    1st ed by Leonard H. Kanterman (1978) FGU
    http://www.darkshire.net/jhkim/rpg/e...ipsandspacemen

Starfleet Voyages
    1st ed by Michael Scott (1982) Terra Games
    http://www.darkshire.net/jhkim/rpg/e...arfleetvoyages

FSpace RPG
    1st ed by Martin Rait (1991) FSpace Publications
    KAPCON Edition ed (1995)
    SpaceRPG Concise Rulebook v4.0 ed (2001) http://www.darkshire.net/jhkim/rpg/e.../F.html#fspace

Warp 9
    1st ed by David Sicé (1994) Warp 9
    http://www.darkshire.net/jhkim/rpg/e...l/W.html#warp9

And this RPG is design to not only emulated Trek, but Star Wars and others too:
    Space Opera
    1st ed by Ed Simbalist, A. Mark Ratner, Phil McGregor (1980) FGU
    http://www.darkshire.net/jhkim/rpg/e...tml#spaceopera
    ----------------------------------------------

I now I left off Prime Directive(s) as I knew about that one before I found the RPG Encyclopedia and would have included before publishing.

D&D, AD&D, xD&D and D20 system RPG list move to companion thread.
    Last edited by spshu; 05-25-2005 at 01:34 PM. Reason: grammar, clarity
    Member, TrekRPGnet Development Team | OD&D Guild - The Guild for Original (Classic) D&D | FlintGamers |Free Web Hosting

It is best you stick to "Star Trek" RPGs -- official and unofficial versions -- only in THIS forum.
    Anyhoo, just some random thoughts...

"My philosophy is 'you don't need me to tell you how to play -- I'll just provide some rules and ideas to use and get out of your way.'"
    -- Monte Cook

"Min/Maxing and munchkinism aren't problems with the game: they're problems with the players."
    -- excerpt from Guardians of Order's Role-Playing Game Manifesto

A GENERATION KIKAIDA fan

DISCLAIMER: I Am Not A Lawyer

Quote Originally Posted by REG
    It is best you stick to "Star Trek" RPGs -- official and unofficial versions -- only in THIS forum.
    Got it. I'll just narrow my original request and say 'if anyone knows of an RPG title that beats Star Trek in the number of published rulesets, please let me know'. I'll do my own research to find out the details.

danielc56

Quote Originally Posted by Owen E Oulton
    Actually, none of the Prime Directive games are official versions of Star Trek. They are licensed by Franz Joseph Designs through a legal loophole , not Paramount, and are legally forbidden from using the name Star Trek.
    I consider them quasi-official as Franz Joseph Design's Star Trek Manual was created through a license with Paramount and can use many identifiable Star Trek terms and races, etc as long as it is not Star Trek, any major characters nor any thing new in the movies, TNG, DS9, Voyager and Enterprise. Hence, the forum for Prime Directive here. Similarly, Hackmaster is a fully licensed version of Advance Dungeon and Dragons 1st Edition with additional rules but not the AD&D or D&D name.

REG, we have allowed parallels brought up various Star Trek threads, just look at the discussion over the Viacom co-COO misuse of money bringing up the James Bond 007 franchise and even you have participate in that thread without complaint.

Quote Originally Posted by danielc56
    Got it. I'll just narrow my original request and say 'if anyone knows of an RPG title that beats Star Trek in the number of published rulesets, please let me know'. I'll do my own research to find out the details.
    danielc56
    The Star Trek > General Systems & Mechanics subforum is what I think he means by "THIS forum", not the full set of forums here. Technical, I still am a moderator -- a "junior" one at that -- (and Website Development Team member) in this forum. But since REG brought it up we could start a companion thread in the Other Roleplaying Game forum. This interest me and it would stop you from getting the same RPG over and over again. I can not seem to find the rpg.net thread that you mentioned in your first post.

By the way, welcome to the Trek RPG net Forums!!
    Member, TrekRPGnet Development Team | OD&D Guild - The Guild for Original (Classic) D&D | FlintGamers |Free Web Hosting

Quote Originally Posted by spshu
    I can not seem to find the rpg.net thread that you mentioned in your first post.
    Here is the thread: http://forum.rpg.net/showthread.php?t=181843

By the way, welcome to the Trek RPG net Forums!!
    Thanks! I've been lurking for a few months, reading up on different threads. I'm not very experiened at roleplaying, but I've been purchasing both Star Trek & Star Wars RPG books for the background information they provide. I love how RPG books 'flesh out' both of those franchises. I enjoy reading reference & information books of fictional sci-fi worlds. Maybe one day I'll get to play the game!

danielc56

Quote Originally Posted by spshu
    REG, we have allowed parallels brought up various Star Trek threads, just look at the discussion over the Viacom co-COO misuse of money bringing up the James Bond 007 franchise and even you have participate in that thread without complaint.
    So, the reason for listing the various versions of Dungeons & Dragons is to parallel ... what?

And to clarify, I use the term "forum" to distinguish one of many topics groups set up on this messageboard. Sometimes I also use the term "sub-forum," or merely "thread."

"My philosophy is 'you don't need me to tell you how to play -- I'll just provide some rules and ideas to use and get out of your way.'"
    -- Monte Cook

"Min/Maxing and munchkinism aren't problems with the game: they're problems with the players."

A GENERATION KIKAIDA fan

[Moderator hat on]
    Discussion regarding the ADB Star Fleet Universe/Joseph Franz license in relations to Paramount have been split off and move to the Prime Directive Forum: ADB Star Fleet License from Paramount . This was off the topic of the thread and would be more appropriate in the Prime Directive forum.

So, the reason for listing the various versions of Dungeons & Dragons is to parallel ... what?
    <snip>
    The number of versions of Star Trek RPGs, official and unofficial. As part of this inquiry is:

Quote Originally Posted by danielc56

~snip~ I was trying to see if Trek holds the title for the most published versions of a roleplaying game. ~snip~

I thought ARS Magica is the most published versions, at least in terms of "edition." Atlas Games have released their 5th edition.

-- Monte Cook

A GENERATION KIKAIDA fan

Discussion regarding other systems continue in this thread: the most published versions of a roleplaying game

Quote Originally Posted by spshu View Post
    <snip>

I now I left off Prime Directive(s) as I knew about that one before I found the RPG Encyclopedia and would have included before publishing.

<snip>
    Here they are so far:
    Think again, there are the semi-official Prime Directive, officially license to use the Star Trek TOS background but not the Star Trek name:

Prime Directive
    1st ed by Timothy D. Olsen, Mark Costello (1993) Task Force Games
    2nd ed (2002) Amarillo Design Bureau a.k.a. Starfleet Games (uses GURPS 3rd Edition rules)
    3rd Ed GURPS (2005) Amarillo Design Bureau a.k.a. Starfleet Games (uses GURPS 4th Edition rules)
    3rd Ed. d20 (2005) Amarillo Design Bureau (& Battlefield Press)
    d20 Modern Edition (October 2008) Amarillo Design Bureau

Never saw this thread. Should probably thrown in Enterprise by Tsukuda Hobby (1983) as it was officially licensed.

It's funny that, 4 years later, there's still no sign that PD D6 will see the light of day anytime soon, though they insist it's being worked on.

Quote Originally Posted by mechascorpio View Post
    Never saw this thread. Should probably thrown in Enterprise by Tsukuda Hobby (1983) as it was officially licensed.

It's funny that, 4 years later, there's still no sign that PD D6 will see the light of day anytime soon, though they insist it's being worked on.
    Part of that is problems that the Purgatory Publishing, Inc. (d.b.a. West End Games) was going through some financial problems forcing him to initial put the system up for sale.