Thread: Probably a stupid question

Probably a stupid question

System Operation is a skill with specialties and not a skill group. Therefore, if I have 5 levels of system operation then I can raise shields, pilot, and use "virtually any technologically advanced facility" (PG p. 124). Here's where my stupid question starts, so does that mean that a skilled doctor (like McCoy) can pilot the ship better than a new flight control officer? In the NG, McCoy is listed as having System Operations at +10 and Ensign Kim is listed at +6. Is McCoy better at raising shields, operating transporters, navigating, etc., than Ensign Kim? Something seems wrong here. Please tell me what I'm missing.

If perchance, I'm correct in my interpretation, any suggestions on how to deal with it? I see it as a problem but some of you might not. Do we just resort to relying on people to role-play their characters properly? My suggestion is probably radical but I think that System Operation should be a skill group. I know that will limit what characters can do but that adds value to the character's specialty in my opinion. What do all of you gurus think? Be gentle on the beginner and help me see the error of my thinking.

I see similar difficulties for Medicine which includes Psychology. A good psychologist would also be a good surgeon. I am a psychologist (that's my day job) and though I've performed microsurgery on rat brains and know a bunch of neuroanatomy, neurophysiology, and neuropharmacology, I wouldn't consider myself a physician in any way. Did we ever see Troi working alongside Dr. Crusher in sickbay? Shouldn't psychology be a specialty of social science?

Well, we did see Troi working alongside Doc Pulaski once! (Shades of Grey...errr Clip show)

Yeah, that does seem weird. I never really noticed it before. I usually just assumed my characters had a specialty and that was it. So, with my interp. McCoy can make the Bio-bed's sing, but he would probably only be able to get Sulu's scanner to come out of the console.

I shouldn't have asked that question about Troi working with Crusher. I confess not watching the show enough to really be considered a Trekkie . But I wanna be!

So you're suggesting that we just role-play it and not worry about what the rules really allow for. I could live with that if I wasn't obsessive compulsive.

Also, you must live close to me. You claim the "fringes of civilization;" if you're talking a geographic location, I'd say eastern Idaho fits! If you're talking sociopolitical orientation, it still fits!

I recall a few discussions about this problem, with various suggestions to solve it.
    Personnally, I trust my players not to overuse this little loophole, and, if they don't, just apply a negative modifier to a character who does something he's not accustomed to do. So McCoy trying to pilot the ship would get a +5 or even +10 TN modifier ("dammit, Jim, I'm a doctor, not a pilot" ).
    I consider that "System Operation" actually represent the familiarity the character has with the LCARS interface (since after all, every system use it). It would be a bit like knowing how to use Windows (or MacOS) : you can perfectly know how to use the OS and some specific softwares, but that doesn't make you an expert of every software that can be ran on this computer.
    "The main difference between Trekkies and Manchester United fans is that Trekkies never trashed a train carriage. So why are the Trekkies the social outcasts?"
    Terry Pratchett

Where there is a computer interface, your analogy makes sense. Wouldn't it make just as much sense to still have separate skill (a skill group) and allow an affinity bonus for computer use? That way you don't have to make up a TN adjustment to reflect the fact that Bones is a doctor and not a pilot. His skill would be Sys Ops Medical which would apply to medical devices and perhaps to environmental controls. Sulu's Sys Ops would be Flight Control and would apply to navigation and piloting, etc.

Also we're still left with the problem of those skills (like Medicine and Psychology) where a computer interface doesn't explain how to separate them. Troi would not be my choice for a surgeon even though her Medicine (Psychology) skill level might be very high.

You could always make Medicine a skill group and its specialties into separate skills.
    Former Editor, The Hall of Fire, Beyond the Final Frontier
    http://www.geocities.com/gandalfofborg25/index.html

What you have to remember in the case of System operation is that it is for operating equiptment.. the end..

if today I walked into a modern operating surgical theature, I could probably, using my advanced skills in operating personal computing technology, turn on all of the machines, read their readouts, go 'ooh' and 'ahh' at all the sparkling lights and advanced technical wizardry and maybe with a touch of patience figure out what some of it means... Does this mean I have any idea where to stick the scalpel to remove the mans gall bladder? No!

There are allot of machines within sickbay which need operating: diagnostic suites, refilling hyposprays, operating the computer interfaces to all of the machines etc: The surgeon needs to be as technically savvy in operating that equiptment as an OPS officer needs to be savvy in operating shields, but this is not medicine!

Doctors need to use Life sciences, Research, Medicines, First aid etc to correctly identify, treat and perform medicine, having good command of the computer systems which operate sickbay just makes them good at their job!

In Startrek all of the computers have a self simmilar feeling to them, especially post TNG, so a trained operator should be abe to cross use their skills . Technically , in a pinch, the CMO should be able to pilot the ship, it's just not common to use your resources like that! During combat I am sure the Doctor has plenty to do!

in the above example McCoy is also a Starfleet officer of some considerable experience, thought I find it unlikelly he ever did polot the ship he should be trained too.

While there are no actual penalties (other than GM inspired one's) proffessional abilities give you extra bonuses to your specific speciality (such as medicine, OPS etc) so on average a dedicated doctor VS a dedicated pilot should come off worse in skill tests.

To be honest the skills presented in the book are probably over the top for McCoy in the System OPS area, as he never exhibited any such expertise: he was a good doctor so his other skills are certainly up to it!

In the book it's very wooly at what point in their careers the data represents... is that Admiral McCoy, or fresh out of the academy McCoy.. or converselly 'just out of the academy' Kim, or season 7 Kim.. both those variables would be a huge difference in comparable skill level!
    Ta Muchly

Quote Originally Posted by Tobian
    In the book it's very wooly at what point in their careers the data represents... is that Admiral McCoy, or fresh out of the academy McCoy.. or converselly 'just out of the academy' Kim, or season 7 Kim.. both those variables would be a huge difference in comparable skill level!
    Actually, no, it's not.

"These entries depict the characters from the various Star Trek series at the conclusion of their series' televised run; Star Trek: Original Series characters are therefore presented as of 2269..." (NG Pg 239, 2nd column, 1st paragraph)
    Former Decipher RPG Net Rep

"Doug, at the keyboard, his fingers bleeding" (with thanks to Moriarti)

In D&D3E, Abyssal is not the language of evil vacuum cleaners.

Well, there's a lot of "character X jumps to the controls!" in the Trek shows. Commo officer Uhura takes the heln; Bambi...Counselor Troi takes the helm. The guy that cleans the viewscreen jumps to the helm. I think the assumption in Trek is that everyone's an astronaut; they can all fly the ship. Kinda like everyone's an officer...

Well this is true, as soon as someone falls out of the helm there's always someone to jump into their place.. even if the bridge was empty before

and I stand corrected, I didn't spot that passage myself!
    Ta Muchly

Also, you must live close to me. You claim the "fringes of civilization;" if you're talking a geographic location, I'd say eastern Idaho fits! If you're talking sociopolitical orientation, it still fits!

Actually I'm probably closer. I'm in Western Wyoming.
    "For to win 100 victories in 100 battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill." Sun Tzu - The Art of War