Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: we do not have any plans to print more STAR TREK RPG books

we do not have any plans to print more STAR TREK RPG books

just thought i'd give an update from the lovely (i am told) star trek brand manager, erika:
    Right now, we do not have any plans to print more STAR TREK RPG books

i've been mocked for saying that here before and just wanted to update here as i've promised to do.

edit: added right now in front of quote
    Last edited by jened; 05-13-2005 at 06:11 AM.

I went on to Decipher and noted promptly noted the lack of Trek RPG.

Its disappointing, so I hope some organization more reliable can pick it up.
    Going everywhere at the speed of plot

Are we supposed to be surprised? Knowing what I do, I'm not, really. It's a shame, as they had a few books that were already through approvals and done with layout, at least one even waiting at the printer.

Sad? Yes. Surprising? No.
    Former Decipher RPG Net Rep

"Doug, at the keyboard, his fingers bleeding" (with thanks to Moriarti)

In D&D3E, Abyssal is not the language of evil vacuum cleaners.

Sad indeed
    Well, at least what we have right now makes for a pretty complete, playable game already. I knew the line wouldn't last, but I was hoping to see the Klingon book, at least... or a couple setting books.

All I know is -- I don't think I will invest in new system books from any other company if a new Trek RPG is announced... I mean, geezus, I own plenty of ICON books, all of the CODA ones... I'm NOT buying another player's guide and starships book or whatever to do the same thing, thank you. Who else feels the same?

I am with you sir. This is the final straw for my buying of gameing material.

I have supported each line that has come up and each line has failed.

I think, like the show, Star Trek rpgs need to take a break like they did after FASA lost the license.

i just realized i didn't paste the whole quote. there's supposed to be a right now in front of what i said. not that that really changes anything.

Actually, it does change some things. It doesn't completely kill the possibilities, and considering the current licensing situation with Viacom and the potential sales of the LOTR books (if they actually follow through), it could just mean that they're having to wait.

You'll notice I'm not holding my breath in any case, however....
    Patrick Goodman -- Tilting at Windmills

"I dare you to do better." -- Captain Christopher Pike

Beyond the Final Frontier: CODA Star Trek RPG Support

Quote Originally Posted by PGoodman13
    Actually, it does change some things. It doesn't completely kill the possibilities, and considering the current licensing situation with Viacom and the potential sales of the LOTR books (if they actually follow through), it could just mean that they're having to wait.

You'll notice I'm not holding my breath in any case, however....
    To quote Frozone, "Shouldn't you be getting ready?"

Former Decipher RPG Net Rep

"Doug, at the keyboard, his fingers bleeding" (with thanks to Moriarti)

In D&D3E, Abyssal is not the language of evil vacuum cleaners.

Considering that "right now" has extended on from July '03 (or July '02, if you count that as the beginning of The Troubles) until now, I don't think I'm engaging in a major act of prognostication when I say that we can effectively consider the matter ended.

Don was right: DecipherTrek is dead. The company didn't care about it from minute one; those who are afficionados of the Coda system should count themselves lucky that they got what they did - the existence of any works subsequent to the Narrator's Guide was seriously up to question. It might - and probably will - be years yet before we see Version Four released, but until then, we've got plenty of resources at our command to fill in the blanks.

Quote Originally Posted by D.S.McBride
    Don was right: DecipherTrek is dead. The company didn't care about it from minute one; those who are afficionados of the Coda system should count themselves lucky that they got what they did - the existence of any works subsequent to the Narrator's Guide was seriously up to question. It might - and probably will - be years yet before we see Version Four released, but until then, we've got plenty of resources at our command to fill in the blanks.
    Yea, I hate to say "I told you all so" but, well, two years ago, I did.

Funny thing is that I still enjoy Trek and I'd still write for it, even if Decipher somehow got their heads out of their collective asses and did something. I wonder which one of us is the bigger fool?

I still feel a small measure of responsibility for how Decipher treated their customers. It's sad to see (IMO) a fine game that was of excellent quality remembered more for how badly it was bungled and (not) supported. Decipher's legacy with the Trek RPG will not be one spoken of fondly, I'm afraid.

And that makes me sad.
    Mass Effect Fate RPG | "Mass Effect meets Fate meets awesome = FREE"
    Contributor, Gnome Stew
    "In every revolution, there's one man with a pizza."
    Star Trek (TOS) "Pizza, Pizza" (Second season), story by D.S.McBride

Well, as far as I am concerned, I was perfectly happy with the CODA rules and will still use them (in the undefined future where my ST campaign will start again, that is ). Almost all the books I needed were released (I'll miss Worlds), and the data converted from ICON or stolen from the Net can easily complement that material.

The fact that Decipher treated the franchise with just a little less respect than the respect Quark had for his bartenders has nothing to do with the quality of the product IMHO. And since I refer to the game as CODA Trek and not as Decipher Trek helps a lot to forget what that company did with this game line...
    "The main difference between Trekkies and Manchester United fans is that Trekkies never trashed a train carriage. So why are the Trekkies the social outcasts?"
    Terry Pratchett

Quote Originally Posted by Don Mappin
    Funny thing is that I still enjoy Trek and I'd still write for it, even if Decipher somehow got their heads out of their collective asses and did something. I wonder which one of us is the bigger fool?
    I'm the same way with the LOTR RPG. I'd fall all over myself to do more freelance work on the line if Scott Gaeta emailed and said, "It's on!"

Don't see it happening, though.

Quote Originally Posted by C5
    Well, as far as I am concerned, I was perfectly happy with the CODA rules and will still use them (in the undefined future where my ST campaign will start again, that is ). Almost all the books I needed were released (I'll miss Worlds), and the data converted from ICON or stolen from the Net can easily complement that material.

The fact that Decipher treated the franchise with just a little less respect than the respect Quark had for his bartenders has nothing to do with the quality of the product IMHO. And since I refer to the game as CODA Trek and not as Decipher Trek helps a lot to forget what that company did with this game line...
    What C5 said...

Amen, C5.

Coda Trek is a viable game that's still commercially available and is one of those "evergreen" titles that Decipher is only going to miss income on. Probably not much, but any loss to the company that's treated this gameline like the ugly little sister is okay by me.

So, rather than pop caps at corporate America, we should look to the future of Trek gaming. Fanmade adventures. Net supplements. And first and foremost, continuing to play and enjoy the game.

That's what I'll be doing.
    chris "mac" mccarver
    world's angriest creative mind

Quote Originally Posted by Mac417
    Amen, C5.

Coda Trek is a viable game that's still commercially available and is one of those "evergreen" titles that Decipher is only going to miss income on. Probably not much, but any loss to the company that's treated this gameline like the ugly little sister is okay by me.

So, rather than pop caps at corporate America, we should look to the future of Trek gaming. Fanmade adventures. Net supplements. And first and foremost, continuing to play and enjoy the game.

That's what I'll be doing.
    Amen. I have the rules, I found several wonderful ICON supplements, I read plenty of Sci-Fi... IŽll be playing it for ages.

.... BUT I STILL WANT MY KLINGON BOOK, DECIPHER BASTARDS!!! LOL