Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Star Trek Will Return

Lightbulb Star Trek Will Return

Important announcement

http://www.jleag.com/41
    A brave little theory, and actually quite coherent for a system of five or seven dimensions -- if only we lived in one.

Academician Prokhor Zakharov, "Now We Are Alone"

They do have a point. Although given how Hollywood movies are currently tapping in the old series for inspiration, I keep expecting a Star Trek TOS movie, with the original crew (but not the same actors, of course), the original Enterprise, and a bad adaptation from any not-so-good TOS episode... or maybe a startover, with the crew being formed and meeting each other, à la X Men...

Dunno if this could be great or terrible, though.
    "The main difference between Trekkies and Manchester United fans is that Trekkies never trashed a train carriage. So why are the Trekkies the social outcasts?"
    Terry Pratchett

While the current state of Hollywood creativity makes the premise plausible, fans could end up with a Star Trek movie in the style of the Ben Stiller Starsky & Hutch film.
    "The American Eagle needs both a right wing and a left wing in order to fly."
    -paraphrase of Bill Moyers

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Ezri's Toy
    While the current state of Hollywood creativity makes the premise plausible, fans could end up with a Star Trek movie in the style of the Ben Stiller Starsky & Hutch film.
    We already did. It's called Galaxy Quest.
    Anyhoo, just some random thoughts...

"My philosophy is 'you don't need me to tell you how to play -- I'll just provide some rules and ideas to use and get out of your way.'"
    -- Monte Cook

"Min/Maxing and munchkinism aren't problems with the game: they're problems with the players."
    -- excerpt from Guardians of Order's Role-Playing Game Manifesto

A GENERATION KIKAIDA fan

DISCLAIMER: I Am Not A Lawyer

Quote Originally Posted by REG
    We already did. It's called Galaxy Quest.
    Yes, but Galaxy Quest was good.
    "The American Eagle needs both a right wing and a left wing in order to fly."
    -paraphrase of Bill Moyers

Thumbs down

A campy (campier??) version of TOS....

With Jack Black as Kirk, Stephen Corel as Spock, Jim Carrey as McCoy

Oh my god, stop me....
    I'm practically making it for them.....

Hallie Berry as Uhura, Paris Hilton as Yeoman Rand, Mike Myers as Scotty (in or out of fatsuit?)

Stop me....the pain.....the agony....the craptitude of it all

Quote Originally Posted by C5
    They do have a point. Although given how Hollywood movies are currently tapping in the old series for inspiration, I keep expecting a Star Trek TOS movie, with the original crew (but not the same actors, of course), the original Enterprise, and a bad adaptation from any not-so-good TOS episode... or maybe a startover, with the crew being formed and meeting each other, à la X Men...

Dunno if this could be great or terrible, though.
    I think I may be a lone voice in the woods when I say int he right hands this would be simply fantastic... but then I am weird and not a TNG fan

Why must we redo things? Or I mean, reimagine.

With the end of DS9 we have an entire galaxy now to explore. Not to mention outside our galaxy. The horizens are endless . . . and the limit is how long your dilithium crystals hold its integrity.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Tricky
    A campy (campier??) version of TOS....

With Jack Black as Kirk, Stephen Corel as Spock, Jim Carrey as McCoy
    I'd take Jack Black as Kirk, but Will Ferrell as Spock and Darrell Hammond as McCoy.
    Last edited by REG; 05-20-2005 at 03:29 PM. Reason: Correcting a name

"My philosophy is 'you don't need me to tell you how to play -- I'll just provide some rules and ideas to use and get out of your way.'"
    -- Monte Cook

"Min/Maxing and munchkinism aren't problems with the game: they're problems with the players."

A GENERATION KIKAIDA fan

Quote Originally Posted by AslanC
    I think I may be a lone voice in the woods when I say int he right hands this would be simply fantastic... but then I am weird and not a TNG fan
    You know, I'm not a TOS fan at all (or is it just that I hate Kirk ? ), but I'd tend to share that opinion. Of course, nothing at all would ensure us that the right person would do it, quite the contrary, and for that reason I find this idea dreadful.

But JALU3 has a point as well : Trek is a very vast universe, an infinity of movies or mini-series could be made to explore it. Sadly, it seems the folks at Paramount decided once and for all that Trek was to be a series with a starship (or a space station) and its crew, or possibly a movie with the same characters, and nothing else.
    "The main difference between Trekkies and Manchester United fans is that Trekkies never trashed a train carriage. So why are the Trekkies the social outcasts?"
    Terry Pratchett

Quote Originally Posted by C5
    Sadly, it seems the folks at Paramount decided once and for all that Trek was to be a series with a starship (or a space station) and its crew, or possibly a movie with the same characters, and nothing else.
    Be careful. Many fans didn't initially embraced DS9 because it sets in a space station rather than a mobile starship. And of them, only a few took a chance to see it, even fewer actually came around to liking it while others keep calling it a "soap opera in space."

What it boils down to is making a good story ... week after week. Berman & Braga couldn't do that. Manny Coto and the Reeves-Stevens duo could.

As for the title of this thread, of course the franchise will return. Star Trek is pretty much ingrained into our culture.

-- Monte Cook

A GENERATION KIKAIDA fan

Quote Originally Posted by REG
    I'd take Jack Black as Kirk, but Will Ferrell as Spock and Darrell Hammon as McCoy.

No REG, don't help them.

Although that would be a great cast.

Talking

Why not. It involves a cameo appearance by Rick Berman in a scene where he got sucked out of the airlock.

Of course, to make it real, we have him get sucked out of an airplane. No parachute and definitely no airbag on the ground.

-- Monte Cook

A GENERATION KIKAIDA fan

LOL!

But only if we somehow frame it as an 'homage' to another series, and make his characters (we're just killing his character, right?) death trivial by having people 200 years in the future watching it, and pointing out his foibles.

Talking

To steal a scene from Airplane:

Rick Berman rudely talks on his cell phone about the next Trek series and the itinerary about his convention appearance, but it escalates into a large argument. Being an out-of-control passenger, the flight attendent attempt to calms him down, eventually slaps him across the face. The next attendant tries to calm him down and slaps him in the face. Then a big male passenger in line hit him with a right cross, followed by a fan in an NX-01 starfleet officer uniform with a pipe, a Klingon with Mekleth, an Andorian, .... it was an airplane carrying them to a Las Vegas Trek Convention.

What I would kill to write and submit this sketch proposal to SNL.

-- Monte Cook

A GENERATION KIKAIDA fan