Thread: Short changed teams

Short changed teams

Is it just me, or in national media, some teams regardless of how well there doing appear to be short changed in their time in the national spotlight. Whereas other teams, who may not be doing as well, still get more on air time.

Question

For example...?
    Anyhoo, just some random thoughts...

"My philosophy is 'you don't need me to tell you how to play -- I'll just provide some rules and ideas to use and get out of your way.'"
    -- Monte Cook

"Min/Maxing and munchkinism aren't problems with the game: they're problems with the players."
    -- excerpt from Guardians of Order's Role-Playing Game Manifesto

A GENERATION KIKAIDA fan

DISCLAIMER: I Am Not A Lawyer

The Padres, but of course I say this as a Padres Fan. ESPN I believe is giving us a very small amount of screen time in comparison to our current stats. Although we are not a HUGE market, out of region fans are hurt by this fact. Instead they cover Bonds (who is not that good to the Fans (I use to live in SF)) bad knee or the loosing season of NYY so far. Baseball is so much larger then that.

Well, while I understand the need for national exposure -- which is why teams both professional and collegiate are fighting for airtime on such network as ESPN -- as a fan, it takes away the close relationship that I used to have for my home team. What I mean to say, is that before ESPN become a commercial marketing asset, I have enjoyed watching pre-empted sporting events featuring the University of Hawaii football team on my local TV station. Now, the more it featured on ESPN, the less I get to watch it (no cable). After all, ESPN can dictate that if they broadcast the event, the local TV station cannot.

"My philosophy is 'you don't need me to tell you how to play -- I'll just provide some rules and ideas to use and get out of your way.'"
    -- Monte Cook

"Min/Maxing and munchkinism aren't problems with the game: they're problems with the players."

A GENERATION KIKAIDA fan

Salinas, Calif., USA (a Chiefs fan in an unholy land)
    Quote Originally Posted by JALU3
    The Padres, but of course I say this as a Padres Fan. ESPN I believe is giving us a very small amount of screen time in comparison to our current stats. Although we are not a HUGE market, out of region fans are hurt by this fact. Instead they cover Bonds (who is not that good to the Fans (I use to live in SF)) bad knee or the loosing season of NYY so far. Baseball is so much larger then that.
    Be happy that you're not a Royals fan. I bleed Powder Blue.....profusely at the moment.
    Davy Jones

"Frightened? My dear, you are looking at a man who has laughed in the face of death, sneered at doom, and chuckled at catastrophe! I was petrified."
    -- The Wizard of Oz

Try being a Nat's fan right now. Angelios(sp?) has the air time controlled so that they cannot air Nat's games Mon-Thurs I believe. Now, that is just a greedy owner right there. I have to admit the O's are doing well this year, and the Nat's are much improved from last year(Expos).

You have to remember that the stadium has to sell out before the game is broadcast at least locally. If a team has a hard time doing so on a regular basis then it may be passed over for more national exposure even though they could show it national they would be obligated to block it local so why broadcast a team that more than like will cause this extra work and loss of ad revenue (do to less exposures).
    Member, TrekRPGnet Development Team | OD&D Guild - The Guild for Original (Classic) D&D | FlintGamers |Free Web Hosting

Kinda hard to do a live broadcast, especially in Hawaii. When 6pm hit here, folks on that Atlantic Seaboard are already tucking in because it is close to midnight.

But if you air early and on Friday, not many are willing to ditch work to show up.

-- Monte Cook

A GENERATION KIKAIDA fan

Quote Originally Posted by spshu
    You have to remember that the stadium has to sell out before the game is broadcast at least locally. If a team has a hard time doing so on a regular basis then it may be passed over for more national exposure even though they could show it national they would be obligated to block it local so why broadcast a team that more than like will cause this extra work and loss of ad revenue (do to less exposures).
    This is true for the most part, but thankfully locally we have a dedicated non-premium channel. But that doesn't mean that I don't like getting national coverage. I mean why cover SF?

Salinas, Calif., USA (a Chiefs fan in an unholy land)
    Quote Originally Posted by JALU3
    I mean why cover SF?
    BB.

You know the media is screwed up when a guy playing for the Yankees (Yankees? Ptooey!) hits 400 homers faster than anyone else and no one seems to notice.
    Davy Jones

"Frightened? My dear, you are looking at a man who has laughed in the face of death, sneered at doom, and chuckled at catastrophe! I was petrified."
    -- The Wizard of Oz

that is SO true. -sigh- but what can we do, it's not like we can control the media.

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Tyger
    BB.

You know the media is screwed up when a guy playing for the Yankees (Yankees? Ptooey!) hits 400 homers faster than anyone else and no one seems to notice.
    I'll second that----Yankee's, Feh

(Die Hard Met Fan)