Thread: TNG update suggestions

TNG update suggestions

Here are the things I've been thinking about for a TNG update:

1. new racial stats for Federation members and new enemies like the Cardassians, Dominion and the like. On this i"d be interesed in what the board thought the Cardassian, Vorta and Jem'hadar stat adjustments might look like.

2. revised federation character generation to reflect new technology (holotechnology) and new positions (counselors, etc). I think the Klingons and Romulans generation might pretty work as written. My rough notion for the Ferengi charcter generation would be to rip off the Orion training but downplay the weapon training and move those skills into something else.

Perhaps the most challenging charcter generation chnage might be the introduction of Trills. What I did with the PC I have in my current campaign is to let him make up a second charcter using the Merchant/Trader background skillset and add those skills to his starfleet guy tpo represent one of theprevious hosts. we then added a few trivia type skill ranks for flavor. While kinda thrown-together in an improvised way it has seemed to work. Obviously something more orgainized needs to be worked up though...any thoughts?

3. revised equipment, mostly weapons and new communicators. Here I'm not sure if it would be bettter to try to make new stuff that has better stats than the old or just go with the old stats and say that this represents the new weapons. what do you guys think? As long as you don't have TOS era stuff cropping up, it might work here just to use th old phaser and disuptor stats to fill in for the new ones. Weapons like Batleths that are new would of course have to be statted out.

Thanks,

Monty H

Hi Monty (and any other FASA-philes!)....

My take on a few Races for TNG/DS9 Era:

Betazoids: STR: -5 END: -5 INT: - DEX: - CHA: +15 LUC: -10 PSI: -
    Betazoids are not noted for their physicality, but their natural empathic skills add to their charisma. As per Vulcans, they have no penalty to their PSI stat.

Cardassians: STR: +10 END: +10 INT:+5 DEX:- CHA: -10 LUC:-20 PSI: -40
    Cardassians are strong and tough. They are also sly and quick witted. They are less charismatic than humans due to their confrontational natures.

Jem'Hadar:STR: +20 END:+20 INT:- DEX:+10 CHA:-10 LUC:-20 PSI:-80
    Genetically tailored supersoldiers. They are fast, agile and tough. They live for battle and service to the Founders.

Ferengi: STR:-10 END:- INT:+10 DEX:- CHA:+10 LUC:-30 PSI: -40
    Sharp streetwise cut-throat traders and opportunists. Not renowned warriors!

Trill: STR:- END:- INT:+10 DEX:- CHA:+5 LUC:-10 PSI:-40
    Unjoined Trill are similar to Humans in most respects. A little more charismatic due to their natures and a little less lucky.
    Joined Trill: Roll 1d10/2 and add two. This is the number of previous incarnations the symbiote has been through. This is alos the number of extra skills gained during character generation by the host as 'memories' of their former lives. These rolls must be taken when generating the character. However, ANY skill (with a good rationale) may be taken. Players are encouraged to be creative, and take unusual skills, or ones not necessarily that the character would normally take in association with his chosen department. EG Archaeology, Law, Shuttle Piloting, various Sports and hobbies etc. Each former host will need at least a little history!
    Joined Trill have -10 END due to the delicate balance between host and symbiote.

SKILLS:

Holodeck operation can quite easily be taken care of by the Computer Ops skill, and the various technologies. However, you may feel more comfortable adding two skills to the ones available. Holographic Technology ( an elective for Engineers) and Holodeck Ops (taken at a level of 10 for all characters).

Character Generation:

Helm/Navigation are now combined. The skills available are:
    Starship Tactics:10
    Starship Helm Ops: 40
    Starship Sensors: 10
    Warp Drive Tech: 10
    Computer Ops: 20
    Space Science: Astrogation: 40
    Others: two at 10
    Deflector Shield Ops: 40
    Deflector Shield Tech: 10
    This Department now takes four years

Security Now adds Starship Weaponry 40
    Starship Weaponry Tech: 10
    Starship Sensors 20
    Communications Ops: 40
    Communications Tech: 10
    Damage Control Procedures: 30
    (This department now takes 4 years)

Medical Branch: Ships counsellor option:
    Lose General Medicine skills and make psychology skills:
    Speciality Race: 60
    Any other two races: 40
    Any other races: Total of 40 points
    Also add: 20 Points of Languages and lose Life support system technology skill.

Communications Dept is now obsolete, and is now handled by Security.

Just a few random thoughts thrown together in haste.

Feel free to comment/ add improvements etc

Cheers

Tas
    "Wherever you go....there you are!"

Quote Originally Posted by ds9guy
    2. revised federation character generation to reflect new technology (holotechnology) and new positions (counselors, etc). I think the Klingons and Romulans generation might pretty work as written. My rough notion for the Ferengi charcter generation would be to rip off the Orion training but downplay the weapon training and move those skills into something else.
    I like the idea about using the Orions as a template for the Ferengi. Hmm... wheels are turning..

Perhaps the most challenging charcter generation chnage might be the introduction of Trills. What I did with the PC I have in my current campaign is to let him make up a second charcter using the Merchant/Trader background skillset and add those skills to his starfleet guy tpo represent one of theprevious hosts. we then added a few trivia type skill ranks for flavor. While kinda thrown-together in an improvised way it has seemed to work. Obviously something more orgainized needs to be worked up though...any thoughts?
    Trill are tough to generate, because it's hard to know how many incarnations you're dealing with and how much of his/her past experience are they bringing with them. Maybe an increase in Pre-academy skill rolls, possibly double to simulate that.

3. revised equipment, mostly weapons and new communicators. Here I'm not sure if it would be bettter to try to make new stuff that has better stats than the old or just go with the old stats and say that this represents the new weapons. what do you guys think? As long as you don't have TOS era stuff cropping up, it might work here just to use th old phaser and disuptor stats to fill in for the new ones. Weapons like Batleths that are new would of course have to be statted out.
    I think for the phasers you might just want to increase the number of charges, or decrease the expenditures for certain settings. I always thought the ranges were excessive anyways. Batleths I'd give maybe a 3D10+20, instead of 4D10+10 like with an axe.

I'd look in the ST:TNG First Year Source Book and the Officer's Manual because some of this has already been covered, I think (albeit badly...). Like the new phaser I has 3 times the output of previous models (although what that means exactly, I don't know) and I think holodeck systems and a few other skills were added. I'm more a TOS guy anyway, so I could be off on any (if not all) of this stuff...