Thread: 4th edition PD books, reviews?

4th edition PD books, reviews?

Hiyas seeing as gurps 4th edition Prime Directive trek seems to be the only alive and twitching version of the game out there, I am looking for reviews and thoughts on their product line.

I am especially interseted on their takes of the Klingons and Romulans which aparently both have race books out now (pity decipher never got around to publishing their klingon one...).

thanks in advance.

peace.

Lightbulb

Tall Order but here goes:

The Prime Directive is based off of TOS and has no relationship to the later shows such as TNG, DS9, VOY and such. It pretty well picks up where TOS left off and has a rather different history and bent to it, as it is base off of the Starfleet Battles Board game

for a fuller write up on the differences see the Star FLeet Universe Wiki here:
    http://www.answers.com/topic/star-fleet-universe

As to the sourcebooks themselves, they are actually a lot more interesting than the one trick ponies that Paramount has reduced the Klingons (Honorable Space Vikings) and Romulans (Treacherous Vulcan weasels who would as soon snuff each other as enemies of the Empire).

The Klingons: Going with the older Gold Lamae wearing Klingons with deep tans, the Klingons in SFU were actually allies of the Federation in the Early Years when both empires were expanding, conducting trade with each other and generally able to expand peacefully. When the Federation set up a treaty zone for it's expansion, the Klingons were severely irked (because they were planning to expand that way) and skirmishes that built into the Cold War Era style confrontations resulted. All the while, they have retained the "do what needs to be done" attutide of the original series klingons.

A full treatment on klingon society, law, upbringing as well as slave races, planets held and the klingon navy are listed in the book, along with many other usefyl nuggets of information.

Romulans: While pertaining the romulan perchant for treachery, the romulans aren't as prone to knifing each other in the back and provoking thier enemies as was portrayed in TNG-VOY. The romulans are more interesting in taking new worlds and territory as they are ina relatively resource poor area of the galaxy. Frustraiting this is their largest rival, the UFP, and thier most bitter enemy, The Gorn.

Theres lots of good information in the romulan book and I'd rather not spoil any surprises, but I think all the books so far are woth the cash.
    A brave little theory, and actually quite coherent for a system of five or seven dimensions -- if only we lived in one.

Academician Prokhor Zakharov, "Now We Are Alone"

I have the original 1st ed game. But you have me sold BC, I have all 3 books pending from Ebay
    Duct tape is like The Force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together.

- Carl Zwanzig

Quote Originally Posted by Atlirith
    Hiyas seeing as gurps 4th edition Prime Directive trek seems to be the only alive and twitching version of the game out there, I am looking for reviews and thoughts on their product line.

<snip>
    I will point out for clarification that you are talking about the Prime Directive 3rd Edition using the 4th edition GURPS rules. The d20 version Prime Directive 3rd Edition corebook is listed as being available through ADB's online store, since the only difference is the rules, this review should mostly apply to the d20 and d6 versions too.

Quote Originally Posted by IceGiant
    I have the original 1st ed game. But you have me sold BC, I have all 3 books pending from Ebay
    They are already on eBay!?! Or is this a store that operates their online presents through eBay?
    Last edited by spshu; 09-05-2005 at 12:24 PM. Reason: clarity
    Member, TrekRPGnet Development Team | OD&D Guild - The Guild for Original (Classic) D&D | FlintGamers |Free Web Hosting

It could be a store spshu, i didn't look into that. I'm getting them for $22 canadian where the list is $24.95 USD.
    Duct tape is like The Force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together.

- Carl Zwanzig

Prime Directive

There are actually a few books.

PD 1st Edition:
    Prime Directive Core 1993 TFG5801
    This is designed more as specialized Landing Parties [Prime Teams - more like Intelligence Operatives rather than regular Starfleet Crew].
    GM Screen + Graduation Exercise adventure 1994 TFG5802
    Pretty much what it says. Basic adventure (Romulans) to get the feel for the game.
    Uprising! adventure 1994 TFG5806
    Romulans, Orions and Gorn in an adventure to rescue hostages.
    Prime Adventures 1995 TFG5803
    Scenarios, a solitaire adventure, game play helpful hints and write-ups on Gorns and Lyrans. Also has deck plans for Federation freighter.

I presume from the missing stock numbers (TFG5804-05) that additional supplements were planned.

PD (Gurps 3rd Edition)
    Core - redundant
    Klingons - redundant
    Romulans - redundant
    Module Prime Alpha 2003 ADB8101
    Smorgasboard of stuff. Fiction, rules additions, deckplans for Burke class frigate, scenarios and write-up on Hydrans.

PD (Gurps 4th Edition)
    Prime Directive Core 2005 ADB8401
    Expanded Edition of previous version. Re-refined rules to allow starfleet crew in addition to the specialized operatives which are downplayed in this edition. Federation specific information removed for publication in upcoming PD Federation.
    Klingons 2005 ADB8403
    As mostly stated in the above post. Includes subject races.
    Romulans 2005 ADB8404
    As mostly stated in the above post. Includes subject races.

I assume that ADB8402 will be PD Federation.

Quote Originally Posted by Nimy
    There are actually a few books.
    <snip>
    Yes there are but what does that have to do with GURPS 4th version Prime Directive 3rd Edition's Core book, Klingon book and Romulans book that the original poster was asking to be reviewed?
    Member, TrekRPGnet Development Team | OD&D Guild - The Guild for Original (Classic) D&D | FlintGamers |Free Web Hosting

Prime Directive

I'm sorry, I don't understand your question. Could you speak a bit more clearly?

I didn't exactly review them, but instead gave capsulations of contents, differences between editions and listed all the products.
    Knowing what's inside is half the battle.

Opinion:
    If you like original Star Trek, then here are sourcebooks where Klingons and Romulans are expanded upon as they originally appeared instead of the later corruptions.

If you don't like the militaristic feel of the backstory, that is easily dismissed.
    If you want the wargame feel, then by all means use SFB or Federation & Empire.

Since ADB has no rights of use for anything other than original Trek, this may not be a good alternative RPG for you.

If having specialized teams is a goal, then grab the 1st edition stuff since it goes into greater detail on that subject than later editions do and use it in conjunction with GPD 4th Edition. If you can't wait for PD Federation, then grab GPD 3rd Edition since GPD 4th Edition has most of this source material removed to be expanded upon in GPD Federation.

Starship combat is strongly suggested being resolved with Starfleet Battles. Not surprising here given that it's the Starfleet Universe. Alternate rules for starship combat are suggested via Gurps Space or by using a future product from ADB.

If neither of those appeal, a lighter SFB type approach is possible using the BabylonWars conversion: http://planetside.firenebula.com/startrek/

Alternately, just use ICON or CODA's more narrative resolution styles.

Sidenote:
    For myself, I pull background from GPD/SFB and "some" of the FASA products (mostly adventures recast in TV's TOS light, Starfleet Intelligence books - to expand on the Prime Teams even further - and some use of the Orions books), combined with mashing of Star Trek TOS ICON and CODA rules and source material as GPD (IMO) is not in keeping with the "heroic" television feel of TOS, but IS in keeping with detailed character creation and "realistic" gameplay of a more wartime-like era such as Dominion War or equivalent.

This approach gives me fleshed out:
    Original Romulans
    Original Klingons
    Orions
    Gorn
    Tholians
    Kzinti
    Andorians (with obvious TNG excetera material cut from Among the Clans)
    Vulcans (Way of Kolinhar - same as with Andorians)
    For merchants and whatnot, I have Renegades & Rogues and Trader Captains & Merchant Princes as fairly generic guidelines.

The Animated Star Trek had a Holodeck type location on the Enterprise, so I may pick up Holodeck Adventures for some ideas there.

There is also a Federation sourcebook for the 1st Edition (My fav ed so far) and it is quite well done actually

Prime Directive

Yeah, I was missing that one.
    Noble Knight had it so I ordered.
    Thanks for the reminder!

I'm sorry, I don't understand your question. Could you speak a bit more clearly?

I didn't exactly review them, but instead gave capsulations of contents, differences between editions and listed all the products.
    I was try to be polite in asking a question instead of stating the fact that you are not on topic in the thread by listing non 4th Edition products nor reviewing them, thus giving you a chance to be on topic. Also based on my previous post:

Quote Originally Posted by spshu
    I will point out for clarification that you are talking about the Prime Directive 3rd Edition using the 4th edition GURPS rules. The d20 version Prime Directive 3rd Edition corebook is listed as being available through ADB's online store, since the only difference is the rules, this review should mostly apply to the d20 and d6 versions too.
    It should be clear what Edition and version primary we are discussing: Prime Directive (PD) 3rd Editions GURPS version 4. I change the rule set edition to version so as to not confuse it with PD editions. Also that the WOTC d20 System and WEG d6 System uses the same discriptive text but different rule sets and thus in general any review applies to them. This should point out to you that you do not have a complete PD product list as the PD D20 version is now out.

Prime Directive

I was try to be polite...
    "Trying" being the operative word.

This should point out to you that you do not have a complete PD product list as the PD D20 version is now out.
    Since you state "since the only difference is the rules, this review should mostly apply to the d20 and d6 versions too." listing GPD d20 is overtly redundant by your own standards. Addressing earlier stuff that is unique is a different story.

PD Core 1st Edition was listed because it contains a more extensive ruleset for Prime Teams than later editions do - handy for some players. The other PD items listed (and given brief content info on along with handy stock numbers for easier discovery for online ordering from your favorite shop) is due to the fact that they are still applicable to 4th Edition GPD as gaming material - they are adventures and further background on races for the most part. PD 1st Edition UFP book was incorporated into GPD 3rd Edition. I probably should have listed it with the defintion "redundant" (if I had remembered about it), but stuff happens.

I was try to be polite...
    "Trying" being the operative word.
    Yes but you are not being polite by not posting on topic, giving a poor response back (above quote, general you give people the benefit of the doubt on the internet as you can see or hear them which effects your understanding of way they are typing/saying) and most people would have understood my original question. Given you response, this will be my last response to your posts here. There is a whole forum for Prime Directive - start your own thread if it is not on topic.

This should point out to you that you do not have a complete PD product list as the PD D20 version is now out.
    Since you state "since the only difference is the rules, this review
    should mostly apply to the d20 and d6 versions too."
    listing GPD d20 is overtly redundant by your own standards. Addressing earlier stuff that is unique is a different story.
    The thread is on editions in print. Prime Directive 1st Edition is not in print nor is it PD 3rd Edition, which is the thread starters point in asking about 3rd Edition GURP 4th version. I am judge you on your standard in your thread of being complete. (See quote below.)

<snip>
    PD Core 1st Edition was listed because it contains a more extensive ruleset for Prime Teams than later editions do - handy for some players. The other PD items listed (and given brief content info on along with handy stock numbers for easier discovery for online ordering from your favorite shop) is due to the fact that they are still applicable to 4th Edition GPD as gaming material - they are adventures and further background on races for the most part. PD 1st Edition UFP book was incorporated into GPD 3rd Edition. I probably should have listed it with the defintion "redundant" (if I had remembered about it), but stuff happens.
    You could have just posted this, instead of being impolite. But the ruleset, or system, is different than GURPS it is "Tri-code", therefor the rules do not mesh although they might give more detail on Prime Teams.
    Last edited by spshu; 09-08-2005 at 12:16 PM.

14. I picked up a copy of the Core PD book (GURPS 4e)

There is quite a bit of fluff on the Star Fleet Universe (SFU) which is an alternate universe from the main continuity.

The racial templates for all of the SFU races are there (and with a little work, and a little Google-fu you can add the canon races that are missing).

Rules are pretty much straight GURPS 4e. There are GURPS stats for phasers, Klingon disruptors and the like. You do not need GURPS 4e to play - every rule you'll need is in this book

Overall, if you are using the SFU - there is a lot here, if you are sticking with the mainline continuity you will have a little work to do. The Core book is a little light on Character Templates. It only has Academy Templates - even basic officer career templates are absent.

Because it is straight GURPS 4e, you can steal character templates from other GURPS books (GT: Interstellar Wars interfaces nicely with this book).

If you have a GURPS Traveller or Space collection already, this is a decent add-on. If you are looking for a GURPS Star Trek book, this is a start point.

Overall I'd rate it 2 1/2 stars out of 5. Close but not really Star Trek, a good GM could make it work though.