Thread: Viacom to split

Viacom to split

Viacom is to split into Viacom and CBS Corp.
    The way the current Viacom is spliting may create problems for the Star Trek franchise. See TrekToday.com's article Viacom Split Leaves Trek Future Uncertain .

With Paramount Television production and Paramount Studios split into CBS and Viacom respectively, where will Star Trek end up or will the rights split into TV series and the Movie series? More versions of Trek RPG similarly to Prime Directive situation?

Also MTV Network (To be part of the new Viacom) is buying Neopets.com.
    Member, TrekRPGnet Development Team | OD&D Guild - The Guild for Original (Classic) D&D | FlintGamers |Free Web Hosting

More than likely the franchise will end up under the Paramount TV Production's umbrella, since its root started on TV with Desilu who was bought by Paramount. So whoever is the new franchise leader will have to negotiate with Paramount Picture to produce film version of the TV show (I figure they get first dib at the negotiation before they go to some other film studios).
    Anyhoo, just some random thoughts...

"My philosophy is 'you don't need me to tell you how to play -- I'll just provide some rules and ideas to use and get out of your way.'"
    -- Monte Cook

"Min/Maxing and munchkinism aren't problems with the game: they're problems with the players."
    -- excerpt from Guardians of Order's Role-Playing Game Manifesto

A GENERATION KIKAIDA fan

DISCLAIMER: I Am Not A Lawyer

Hmmm...

So which division IS Paramount Television? I can't see it tying to CBS, on the grounds that it cuts down so many other network that they could produce shows for...on the other hand, Viacom doesn't seem likely either, but that's just a 'gut feeling' (just the way that grew so strong, so fast...)

And I don't get it...is MTV buying the Neopet (from VotC), or just their website?
    ...and that's about the time it hit the fan...

Truisms I know:
    1) Marvel is NOT better than DC (nor should EVERYTHING be ‘ULTIMITED’),
    2) D20 is NOT the best gaming system out there (nor should EVERYTHING be ‘crammed’ into it),
    3) And No matter how ‘THEY’ dress it up, Regardless of how ‘THEY’ title it, and even if ‘THEY’ say “BASED ON…”; “ENTERPRISE” IS NOT STAR TREK!!!
    4) 'Reality' T.V. ain't 'Real'

Quote Originally Posted by Modem
    So which division IS Paramount Television? I can't see it tying to CBS, on the grounds that it cuts down so many other network that they could produce shows for...on the other hand, Viacom doesn't seem likely either, but that's just a 'gut feeling' (just the way that grew so strong, so fast...)
    Paramount TV is going to be a part of CBS Corp. I could not see prior to this press release that any part of production not to stay together.

And I don't get it...is MTV buying the Neopet (from VotC), or just their website?
    Neopets, Inc. including website is being purchased.
    Member, TrekRPGnet Development Team | OD&D Guild - The Guild for Original (Classic) D&D | FlintGamers |Free Web Hosting

Both TV Production and UPN are under the CBS Corp., which also includes the print media Simon & Schuster.
    Anyhoo, just some random thoughts...

"My philosophy is 'you don't need me to tell you how to play -- I'll just provide some rules and ideas to use and get out of your way.'"
    -- Monte Cook

"Min/Maxing and munchkinism aren't problems with the game: they're problems with the players."
    -- excerpt from Guardians of Order's Role-Playing Game Manifesto

A GENERATION KIKAIDA fan

DISCLAIMER: I Am Not A Lawyer

Apparently, CBS has full rights to Star Trek, but allows Paramount film rights as long as they continue making Trek films within a certain time frame.

New Team Retrofits the Old Starship
    That year, the corporate behemoth Viacom, which owned “Star Trek,” was splitting itself in two, divorcing its CBS studio (which made the “Trek” shows) from its Paramount studio (which made the films). “Trek” was likely to go to CBS, where another television show might eventually be developed. Gail Berman, then the president of Paramount, convinced Leslie Moonves, the chief executive of CBS, to allow her one more chance at a “Trek” film; he gave her 18 months to get the cameras rolling or lose the property. (Under the arrangement CBS retained the “Star Trek” merchandising rights.)

Quote Originally Posted by spshu View Post
    Apparently, CBS has full rights to Star Trek, but allows Paramount film rights as long as they continue making Trek films within a certain time frame.

New Team Retrofits the Old Starship
    Looking back, CBS starting up its film unit, that CBS did not included itself in the Paramount films. It would seem that would have raise CBS Films profile a lot, good revenue and merchandising coordination. Of course, Viacom and CBS are back together. O, well.

Thank you for the information, it was very helpful to me.