Thread: Sizes for small Space Stations

Sizes for small Space Stations

After Phoenix pointed me to the sidebar rules presented in the Cardassian sourcebook (thanks again Phoenix ), i have stumbled upon another problem and deceided to star a new thread as well.

Regarding the Size of a space Station it is recommended to consider a station eight sizes larger than its Size rating.
    This makes even the smallest Station the size of a Galaxy Class Explorer. The Station I imagined is a small scientific outpost not abel to service any ships, having no other personel than scientists and the essential engineers and command personel and a small security force.

I think that space stations of less than Size one shuld be created like normal Starships and ther size could be expressed as 0,5, 0,75 and so on.
    What do you think.

Otto, not a problem and you answered your own question
    Regarding the Size of a space Station it is recommended to consider a station eight sizes larger than its Size rating.
    A recommendation is not a rule, you just make the station the size you want it to be. Using SD you could have a ship (or station) at different dimensions than the suggested guidelines presented in the book. this could be used to represent a large yet fragile ship, or a small 'built like the proverbial brick s**t house' type ships. A good example of the former would be the Epsilon relay station from ST: The Motion Picture, the later USS Defiant.
    Phoenix...

"I'm not saying there should be capital punishment for stupidity,
    but maybe we should just remove all the safety lables and let nature take it's course"

"A Place For Everything & Nothing In It's Place"

Hmm yes, now that makes more sense, as making it much larger than it's points size makes sense of the system. The same could be true for the Amargosa observatory, which is aout 10 times the size of it's internal volume... In profile it is nearly as big as a galaxy class ship.. in volume it's got 1-2 decks and about as much space as a couple fo runabouts in there It's all spindly booms.

I guess what it SHOULD say is decide how big you want the practical volume of the station to be, regardless of it's actual size. that said those booms on Amargosa do actualy function as sensor arrays, so it's not all wasted space.

The Flip side of that would be something like 'Spacedock' which is fairly solid. Yes it has some hollowed out areas, but then you can also say those are 'docking facilities'. You should also take a look at Killer Whale's ESO for Coda, it's not a compatible system, but he went into great details about the docking booms and areas etc, and it is at least partly comparable.
    Ta Muchly

Thanks, your opinions exactly match what I had in mind.
    As soon as I finished the station I'll post it here, probably someone besides me has some use for it.