Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: James Doohan dead at 85

James Doohan dead at 85

According to CNN.com, Mr. Doohan died Wednesday morning of pneumonia.

I worked for Section 31 and all I got was this stupid T-shirt!

James Doohan Dies

Just read this off the net.

'Star Trek' Star James Doohan Dies

Very sad news.

Brian K

Unhappy

Goodbye, Scotty.

Anyhoo, just some random thoughts...

"My philosophy is 'you don't need me to tell you how to play -- I'll just provide some rules and ideas to use and get out of your way.'"
    -- Monte Cook

"Min/Maxing and munchkinism aren't problems with the game: they're problems with the players."
    -- excerpt from Guardians of Order's Role-Playing Game Manifesto

A GENERATION KIKAIDA fan

DISCLAIMER: I Am Not A Lawyer

Alex

Good-bye to the best engineer that ever was in Star Trek (sorry, Geordi, O-Brien, Belanna & Tripp).

You will be missed, Mr. Doohan. You have had the final beam up & now your soul has the whole universe to explore.

Hailing frequencies closed.

I haven't posted here for quite some time, but this calls for some words.

Here's to Jimmy Doohan, a man of many voices, a man who was kind and generous with his fans, a man who, even when stricken with Alzheimer's, went to a fan con. Such an actor and such a gentleman will be missed greatly.

Here's to Scotty, miracle worker, the man with grease under his nails, the most passionate member of the crew, the man of deep loyalties, deep loves, and an abiding thirst for all that was possible. The Enterprise belonged to Scotty; he let the others borrow it.

Slainte, Jimmy!

Here's tae ye, Scotty!

Tonight, I raise a glass.

Let us not for get his accomplishments prior to Hollywood,

Mr. Doohan with honor I shall remember you.
    Phoenix...

"I'm not saying there should be capital punishment for stupidity,
    but maybe we should just remove all the safety lables and let nature take it's course"

"A Place For Everything & Nothing In It's Place"

Goodbye Scotty. Thank you. *sniff*

"Prepare for final beam-up"
    When you are dead, you don't know that you are dead. It is difficult only for others.

It's the same when you are stupid...

Unhappy

Goodbye Scotty. You were a miracle worker for many years, and you will be greatly missed.

James Doohan (1920 - 2005)
    "You have not experienced Shakespeare until you've read it in the original Klingon text."
    - Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country

The closest I came to meeting the man was when he spoke at my university, back in '87; although I was unable to get tickets to the event (big surprise), the popularity he enjoyed - and the buzz about campus following it - prompted the formation of the school's offical Star Trek club the next year.

We've lost a man who was instrumental in the formation of two generations: the first being those who grew up during World War II, when Mr. Doohan dedicated his life to ridding the world of the scourge of Nazism. The second was providing entertainment and inspiration for those who came of age during the '60s and later.

I made it a point to sit down at lunch today and watch "Doomsday Machine" - the episode Mr. Doohan identified as his favourite back when he spoke at my school. All best in your new world, Mr. Doohan - I don't see the hailing frequencies being closed...you've just kind of moved on to a ship with a different serial number.

Raise a toast, and for myself, I'm going to have a smile for someone who brightened my days - and continues to do so - even though his physical presence may no longer be with us.

I'm so sorry to see him pass his portrayal of Scotty was the reason i became an engineer!.

I Met him a few times in my life. the 1st was when he spoke at my college about WWII & Acting. Even set up a little table afterward to sign autographs. a very kind person he was.

My favorite memory is seeing him again in 1985 at the "Meet the Pro's" part at the I-Con convention. He was walking around swigging from a Suarian Brandy bottle filled with Scotch that someone had given him Somehow that image just seemed to fit.

Farewell Mr. Doohan, May the wind be at you back.

I met him at a con in 1988 or 9 in Philly. Great guy. We talked about WWII, of all things, since I'd heard he was there.

Here's to the Canuck that took six bullets on Juno Beach. Smooth sailing...

Aye, here's to ye lad.

"You can't take a picture of this; it's already gone." -Nate Fisher, Six Feet Under.

Here's to you, Mr Doohan. We will never forget you. Fare well, and godspeed.
    "Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal death in judgement."
    Gandalf
    - The Fellowship of the Ring

*Raises his glass, and drinks deeply*

Here's to you, Montgomery Scott.

*Drinks a second time*

And here is to you, Mister Doohan

Cheers

Tas
    "Wherever you go....there you are!"