Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Star Trek Character Builder 3.5

Star Trek Character Builder 3.5

Has anyone used this? Is it precise? Is there one for making aliens?

thanks

I've only just started fiddling with it, but so far it seems to work just fine. Everything looked right on the Regulan starship doctor I whipped up in two minutes flat, though I didn't get the chance to work on how it handles advancements. I don't think it let's you load previously saved characters in order to advance them more, or at least I haven't found out how to do it. But for initially building the characters, it appears to be a fine tool.
    Patrick Goodman -- Tilting at Windmills

"I dare you to do better." -- Captain Christopher Pike

Beyond the Final Frontier: CODA Star Trek RPG Support

Thumbs down

After some more working with this, I'm less satisfied than I was when I made my initial response. I tried to work on a Human Starship Officer. One of the Human racial abilities is "Skilled", which gives two extra skill picks during Personal Development (Trills get this ability, also). It didn't offer to let me take those two extra picks, for either a Human or a Trill. It also handled some other skill issues kind of oddly in Professional Development (mostly adding general levels to a skill that had a specialty, in this specific instance Computer Use picks added during Professional Development to an already existing Computer Use (Retrieve) skill, which resulted in two separate entries for the skill).

I think, for the moment, I'm going to have to withdraw my recommendation for this program until I have some more time to test it and prepare a bug report for the author.

Who is the author?

Quote Originally Posted by AslanC
    Who is the author?
    It says, Developed by Tuan Amith

Download

Where can we download it?
    Scotty

Who is the author?
    Me Tuan aka SpaceCadet

Where can we download it?
    Check my signature.

PGoodman13, let me know what have issues with. The intention of the program was to build a quick and easy character to start out with. My game group finds character creation a hassle hence the creation of the program. The last tab "Finalizaation" allows the user to upgrade and make changes to the character (like advancements), but only during initial character creation.
    Star Trek Character Builder

Plasma Bolt!! Plasma Bolt!!

I just dled it and played around with it.

I know nothing of programing.

This is a good start though, it just needs more detail... ie data entry to it's core database.

Other glitches will be up to others to find, as I am not that rules savvy to begin with.

Quote Originally Posted by Space_Cadet
    PGoodman13, let me know what have issues with. The intention of the program was to build a quick and easy character to start out with. My game group finds character creation a hassle hence the creation of the program. The last tab "Finalizaation" allows the user to upgrade and make changes to the character (like advancements), but only during initial character creation.
    My initial problems are outlined in my post of 08/04 (specifically, skill picks for the "Skilled" racial ability of Humans and Trills, and duplication of skills when a general skill is chosen at Personal Development and a skill and specialty are subsequently chosen in Professional Development). I'll play around with it a bit more this weekend and see if I find other issue, but those are the two that I remember at the moment.

Please don't take my comments as anything but constructive criticism; it seems a fairly well-done tool for what you say it was designed for, even with the above-mentioned quirks. It's probably not the tool I was hoping for, however, at least not at this point.

As a follow-up: Each base Profession has a designated Favored Attribute and Favored Reaction. These should already be marked when you reach the Species Details tab. The only choice the player has at this point is to choose which of his other Attributes will be treated as a Favored Attribute.

Does anyone know if anyone ever made a FASA Character Generator?

Cheers

Tas
    "Wherever you go....there you are!"

I think the tool has incredible potential. Especially if you can get all the data from the books into it... (i.e. the proper racial bonuses etc...) If you could incorporate the ALIENS book into it as well it would be "the bomb"!

What language are you programming in? Perhaps I could help with the programming in of species and skills data.

PGoodman13: I didn't take it as offensive. I would like to make this program mature enough for everyone in mind. I'll look into the info you provided but at the moment i'm tied up with teh Starship Builder and Enteprise Sourcebook. But i think minor changes in the character builder won't be a problem. I'll look into it.

What language are you programming in? Perhaps I could help with the programming in of species and skills data.
    Delphi (Object Pascal) and MSVC++.
    Star Trek Character Builder

Plasma Bolt!! Plasma Bolt!!

Quote Originally Posted by Space_Cadet
    PGoodman13: I didn't take it as offensive. I would like to make this program mature enough for everyone in mind. I'll look into the info you provided but at the moment i'm tied up with teh Starship Builder and Enteprise Sourcebook. But i think minor changes in the character builder won't be a problem. I'll look into it.
    Glad you didn't take offense; sometimes I come across sharper than I intend to on these things.

Another suggestion/request: Languages should be listed as such. Currently, if you speak Vulcan or Klingon, the skill list just shows "Vulcan +4" or something similiar. It would be a little easier to pick these out if they were labeled something like "Language: Klingon +4".

More as I come up with them.

Looks pretty decent. I was able to build a character prety close to what I had on paper.

Good job, space! Now you need to add the Aliens Compendium stuff...

checked out your site, PG -- congrats! And you look nothing like I would have pictured.