Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does anyone...

Does anyone...

know someone (or is someone) who can make 3d models of ships?

I am looking to comission (yes for money) someone to make a 3d model for my campaign.

I have asked over at 3D Gladiators as well, but then thought this place has Trek fans of all sorts of talents etc.

You also might want to try Scifi-Meshes and Flare for model makers.
    Phoenix...

"I'm not saying there should be capital punishment for stupidity,
    but maybe we should just remove all the safety lables and let nature take it's course"

"A Place For Everything & Nothing In It's Place"

There are lot of great designs over at USS Miranda too.
    - Daniel "A revolution without dancing is a revolution not worth having."

Scifi-meshes is a good place to start, I'm over there myself on occasion, to pick up tips and such

To get the ball rolling: What sort of ship are you looking for and to how much detail do you need it? Is it a ship of your own devising, for which you have a sketch of, a pre-existing design which you have from a fan site, or a canon design you don't have enough views of for your purposes? Is it just exteriors or interiors you are after?

I could well be interested in doing this but I want to know what I am signing up for before I start!
    Ta Muchly

Hey, my fish tank just intersected with this reality for a (brief) time...

Hello all, long time no see!

The subject interests me as well as I would dearly like to have a 3D model for the Ascendant and I'd be ready to offer money for that.

The point is, I absolutely don't know how much that would be worth. Aslan, how much were you ready to offer? Tobian, how much would you ask for?

Any ideas?

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    Expanded Spacecraft Operations, a 100+ page sourcebook for CODA Trek

Hey KW - nice to see you emerge from the depths

I have no idea how much I would charge, to be honest, as I've never done either Freelance work, or paid work for 3D before, but I can say it would depend on how much work was involved. Personal projects I've worked on have taken me forever, but that's usually because of the silly amount of detail I have added!
    Ta Muchly

Well to be honest my limit would be $100 usd. I can't really afford more than that. I am not sure if this is a good price or a bad one, but it is the one I have set in my mind.

As for the ship itself, it is to be based loosely on the Chandra class from Feyman Yards, but with some changes (saucer shape, maybe engines as well, dunno... it would have to be hashed out.

http://www.feymanshipyards.com/CruiserChandra.html

As for the detail of the final model, well I would hope for as much as possible.

Here is a link to a pic I think it just fantastic. You knowing more about this than I do could give me a ballpark on how hard this type of detail would be.

http://home.earthlink.net/~joemcmull...Sumter-OC3.jpg

There you have it sir

Edit: Another good pic

http://home.earthlink.net/~joemcmull...-schematic.jpg
    Last edited by AslanC; 08-02-2005 at 11:17 AM.

Cool Found this one...

http://www.startrekaustralia.com/

Along the title page, near the bottom on the left: '1000's of meshes'...don't know about 'thousands', but there is a good mess of them: Federation, Klingon, Romulan, Borg...it definitely is a plethora.
    ...and that's about the time it hit the fan...

Truisms I know:
    1) Marvel is NOT better than DC (nor should EVERYTHING be ‘ULTIMITED’),
    2) D20 is NOT the best gaming system out there (nor should EVERYTHING be ‘crammed’ into it),
    3) And No matter how ‘THEY’ dress it up, Regardless of how ‘THEY’ title it, and even if ‘THEY’ say “BASED ON…”; “ENTERPRISE” IS NOT STAR TREK!!!
    4) 'Reality' T.V. ain't 'Real'

Startrek Australia is connected to Scifi-Meshes, well looselly

Well the detailing on there is not terribly high, so I could probably manage that Of course those ships are radically different in scale, so it would involve more work to do the larger one

The money seems to be ok to me, but again I am not very good at giving a comparison on similar projects.. Hmm.. I will have to think about it, it's still allot of work! :S
    Ta Muchly

Quote Originally Posted by Modem
    http://www.startrekaustralia.com/

Along the title page, near the bottom on the left: '1000's of meshes'...don't know about 'thousands', but there is a good mess of them: Federation, Klingon, Romulan, Borg...it definitely is a plethora.
    Do they have a rule which forces you to render your images with blinding lights and as much fog/dust/nebulas as possible?

The Ronin looks nice, however.

Well the title is slightly misleading, since it's all one person who does the renders I believe He does seem to have a thing for bad nebula scenes

I am not too much of a fan of designs that look too... Kitbashed, I think I would have to go original
    Ta Muchly

Quote Originally Posted by Ergi
    Do they have a rule which forces you to render your images with blinding lights and as much fog/dust/nebulas as possible?
    Yeah I have always had a problem with the "artistic" lighting on 3D artwork. If you look at the Star Trek shows and movies, the ships are almost always perfectly lit, despite surrounding light sources. I think that is so we always have a good look at the model/cgi.

Quote Originally Posted by Tobian
    Well the detailing on there is not terribly high, so I could probably manage that Of course those ships are radically different in scale, so it would involve more work to do the larger one
    Well if you decide to take the comission we can hash out the details

Do you have any examples of your work? I seem to recall seeing some once way back and being impressed verily

Ah the Ronin, slightly altered (half the size, minus many weapons, etc) it became the Fitzgerald-class Exploration Scout. Once you start looking at it in detail the kitbash effect goes away.

Here's three of the images I did with it.

(to save on memory cost, the images have been reduced in size)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Phoenix; 08-03-2005 at 04:13 AM.
    Phoenix...

but maybe we should just remove all the safety lables and let nature take it's course"

Nice images Phoenix Great work.

Just to let it be known, I only cut and past the images to backgrounds. I do alter the lighting a little (see Final Strike). For the most part I use BMP to edit the works. So it's not like I'm all that good with 3D, I just started working with the free stuff.
    Phoenix...