Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Naf!

Naf!

Tobian just gave me a great new term for those characters presented by players who just don't get the "Star Trek" part of the game.

You know... the Vulcan/Klingon hybrid child of Spock? The Organian/BORG who can alter reality?

That term is NAF

Can you guess what the letters stand for?

Also feel free to share your biggest naf stories...

Hmm yes, said conversation prompted me to recall one of my friends, in an old game, run in ICON, where he designed himself a Ferengi Vulcan hybrid, as the chief science officer, who had superlative telepathy, but was immune to being mind read. he was sneaky conniving, hoarded equiptment in his quarters, which he rigged out with holoemitters, and his sole aim in life was to own a Varron T Disruptor. Suffice it to say that was from an earlier time when I was more naive, and that is usually brought out as an example of what NOT to create, lest you want an instant and painful death, followed by another character generation session
    Ta Muchly

Cool Hmmm...could it be...

Not
    Another
    Fusion!!!

Well, if not I could see another one; but that requires a 'C' for 'Clue'

Oh, Story as well: an NPC that was created for a 'split'-campaign was a Romulan/Batazine fusion. All fine and good...except the 'creator' (term used very loosely) insisted the character was 'the son of a Romulan ambasidor and (wait for it...)...Lwaxana Troi'.

Ok, first of all EWWW (looks for a bucket)!!!
    Second of all, the game took place MID-TWENTY-FIFTH-CENTURY...THE WOMAN WOULD BE QUITE DEAD!! AND IF NOT, THEN WELL PAST HER 'PRIME'!!!...(looks for bucket again...)

Finally, I figured out how to remedy the problem: said NPC was a 'Type-II' clone; a 'clone' built from two different beings DNAs.
    ...and that's about the time it hit the fan...

Truisms I know:
    1) Marvel is NOT better than DC (nor should EVERYTHING be ‘ULTIMITED’),
    2) D20 is NOT the best gaming system out there (nor should EVERYTHING be ‘crammed’ into it),
    3) And No matter how ‘THEY’ dress it up, Regardless of how ‘THEY’ title it, and even if ‘THEY’ say “BASED ON…”; “ENTERPRISE” IS NOT STAR TREK!!!
    4) 'Reality' T.V. ain't 'Real'

Maybe its simply " 'Naf is 'naf" ( enough )... ?
    We came in peace, for all mankind - Apollo 11

Talking

Poit! Narf!
    A brave little theory, and actually quite coherent for a system of five or seven dimensions -- if only we lived in one.

Academician Prokhor Zakharov, "Now We Are Alone"

Wink Yeah, yeah, yeah...but

Are you pondering, what I'm pondering. [/highjack]

Truisms I know:
    2) D20 is NOT the best gaming system out there (nor should EVERYTHING be ‘crammed’ into it),
    3) And No matter how ‘THEY’ dress it up, Regardless of how ‘THEY’ title it, and even if ‘THEY’ say “BASED ON…”; “ENTERPRISE” IS NOT STAR TREK!!!

I think so Brain, but if the Kazon could build Warp Powered Starships, why couldn't they make water?
    A brave little theory, and actually quite coherent for a system of five or seven dimensions -- if only we lived in one.

Can we stay on topic here? I love Pinky and the Brain too, but it is not Narf it is Naf

Well one of the most common NAF character traits I found back when I was running PBEM was entries for Starfleet Marines when I never used them in my games. This remained a simple difference of opinion until the time my "Sorry, no Starfleet Marines in my game universe." Was responded to with a series of threats and starting with a "Dear pinko liberal <insert expletive here>". This chap is pretty much the reason that I will never agree to Starfleet Marines.

But that was a long time ago.

But I do have a proper Naf as Aslan had described. Also back in PBEM I was presented with the following character.

His Grandparents came from the following species;
    Klingon & Vulcan and Betazoid and Deltan. From this mixed species Grandparents he had inherited a full range of Psionics, Increased Strength, Increased Intelligence, Deltan Pheremones, Klingon Toughness.

Of course it continued. The character had joined Starfleet but had been declared MIA at Wolf 359 when he was assimilated by the Borg, but a few years later he was encountered by Q, who thought the mix of 5 species was so amusing that he granted him individuality again and sent him back to Starfleet as a joke. So he was a full Borg too.

My response was simple; "What will you need the rest of the crew for?"
    DanG/Darth Gurden
    The Voice of Reason and Sith Lord

“Putting the FUNK! back into Dysfunctional!”

Coming soon. The USS Ganymede NCC-80107
    "Ad astrae per scientia" (To the stars through knowledge)

Naf must = Munchkin then

Yep that's another good word for them !

Well Just don't get me started on PBEM's and especially Marines, I had WAY over my head enough of them. Someone who's calling you a pinko liberal really ought to watch... Startrek

Hmm what does he need the rest of the crew for.. Let me think.. Strapping him down everytime the Borg come with in COMMS range, otherwise, since he is still a FULL Borg he will default back to the Collective
    Ta Muchly

My guess... NAF is Not A Fan.

My story... In a FASA game that I ran years ago, I had a guy who wanted to run a security officer who was half Vulcan and half Andorian. He had no antenne, pointed ears, white hair, was tall and powerful, and had extremely dark skin. And he used to carry around two "Andorian" swords.

He looked like a Drow elf.

And the player wanted to name him "Drizzt".

No, really.

And, no, I didn't allow it. And he wouldn't play my game because of it.

No big loss.
    Hugh Casey
    My Online Journal

"Oh, bother," said the Borg, "We've assimilated Pooh."

I don't have munchkin players so much as I have the bizarre phenomenon of players who roll ridiculously high numbers during character creation - completely honestly.

Back in the FASA-playing days, I had one player who rolled percentiles that, with the species mods, gave her some scores well beyond the theoretical maximum.

You have an INT score of... 110?? WTF?

My gamers also liked to create extremely detailed, yet entirely plausible, back stories for their characters.

This same player rolled prior service aboard a Constitution-Class starship, and the dates of our game era and her tours worked out so that she had to have been a cadet on the Enterprise during TWOK. So she had a deep-seated enmity toward Kirk, who in her mind was responsible for the deaths of her classmates for not following regs and raising the shields.
    "It's hard being an evil genius when everybody else is so stupid" -- Quantum Crook

Question Rolled percentiles???...

First of Two, what game were you playing? Last time I looked, all Fasa-Trek stats were created by rolling 3D10+40(except Luc and Psi, those were D100), then applying race mods...just sayin'

Oh, and AslanC...what does HAF stand for (since we've taken stabs at it).

Truisms I know:

Quote Originally Posted by Modem
    Oh, and AslanC...what does HAF stand for (since we've taken stabs at it).
    Naf, not Haf... Naf... And no, I won't tell just yet... let's get a few more good stories first