Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Game Over for Decipher?

They're circling the drain.

Considering how they treated their RPG offerings and customers, I wouldn't cross the street to... spit... on them if they were on fire. Good riddance to bad rubbish!

Quote Originally Posted by Ineti
    I think WOTC is more focused on their own properties.
    Which is what Decipher should have done a long time ago, make products of their own IP. At least they started releasing WARS.

If anyone was going to take on Trek, I'd guess it would be the Mongoose or Green Ronin.
    For Mongoose, it would conflict with their other sci-fi line, Babylon 5.

For Green Ronin, they got a lot on their plate with WHFRP, MnM2e, True20, BR, Mythic Vistas, etc., including the Wuxia-flavored game I've been promised for 3 years already, Dragon Fist (based on Chris Pramas' original electronic work that used AD&D rules).
    Anyhoo, just some random thoughts...

"My philosophy is 'you don't need me to tell you how to play -- I'll just provide some rules and ideas to use and get out of your way.'"
    -- Monte Cook

"Min/Maxing and munchkinism aren't problems with the game: they're problems with the players."
    -- excerpt from Guardians of Order's Role-Playing Game Manifesto

A GENERATION KIKAIDA fan

DISCLAIMER: I Am Not A Lawyer

So if anyone gets the Trek license after Decipher, you think maybe they should release the Mirror Universe and Klingon books first?
    AKA Breschau of Livonia (mainly rpg forums)
    Gaming blog 19thlevel

Looking at Warren Holland's release (gaseous as it may have been), and the article at the start of this thread, I can't help but be reminded of Peter Newman's recounting of the fall of the Eaton's empire.

Briefly, for those who not might be familiar with the situation, the Eaton's department store chain has been a Canadian staple for generations. As families tend to go, the succeeding generations took less and less interest in quality, and more and more in lining their own pockets; finally, a few years ago, rumors of the company's impending demise were spreading like wildfire. Peter Newman - a superlative example of journalism in action - interviewed Fred Eaton, the final CEO of the company, one fine day during this period. Inevitably, the question of the company's status came up: when informed about the rumors, Eaton responded, "No! No, of course we're not closing up! We're expanding! I don't know where you're getting your information, Pete, but someone's taking you for a long ride!"

A few days later, Eaton's filed for bankruptcy. The company no longer exists.

It's a sad statement on the nature of our times that - at least for me - whenever a pronouncement comes out of a government official or corporate representative's mouth, it is instantly assumed to be a total lie. The sick part is how often that turns out to be the case - I wonder how so many of these lackies can prevent themselves from busting a gut laughing when they see the lastest corporate/government policy release, in total contravention of the facts and which will be thoroughly trounced by nasty reality a few days later. Mr. Holland - if you've bothered to come over here and read something besides what your lick-spittles have seen fit to pass on to you - here it is: I don't believe a word of it. Any day of the week and twice on Sunday, I'll go with a reporter whose record is clean, as opposed to a two-faced rodent who lied through his teeth to us about what his company was going to deliver to our doorsteps. The day the universe sees fit to flush Decipher's operation to its just reward, I suspect you're going to see nothing but smiling faces and hear thunderous applause from this sector.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Stack
    So if anyone gets the Trek license after Decipher, you think maybe they should release the Mirror Universe and Klingon books first?
    Only if they get theirs out before PD20: Klingon book.

"My philosophy is 'you don't need me to tell you how to play -- I'll just provide some rules and ideas to use and get out of your way.'"
    -- Monte Cook

"Min/Maxing and munchkinism aren't problems with the game: they're problems with the players."

A GENERATION KIKAIDA fan

Quote Originally Posted by D.S.McBride
    Looking at Warren Holland's release (gaseous as it may have been), and the article at the start of this thread, I can't help but be reminded of Peter Newman's recounting of the fall of the Eaton's empire.

Briefly, for those who not might be familiar with the situation, the Eaton's department store chain has been a Canadian staple for generations. As families tend to go, the succeeding generations took less and less interest in quality, and more and more in lining their own pockets; finally, a few years ago, rumors of the company's impending demise were spreading like wildfire. Peter Newman - a superlative example of journalism in action - interviewed Fred Eaton, the final CEO of the company, one fine day during this period. Inevitably, the question of the company's status came up: when informed about the rumors, Eaton responded, "No! No, of course we're not closing up! We're expanding! I don't know where you're getting your information, Pete, but someone's taking you for a long ride!"

A few days later, Eaton's filed for bankruptcy. The company no longer exists.
    OOH, I like that. Can I steal it?
    "It's hard being an evil genius when everybody else is so stupid" -- Quantum Crook

Quote Originally Posted by REG
    For Mongoose, it would conflict with their other sci-fi line, Babylon 5.
    How would it be a conflict, though? Their Bab5 and Starship Troopers and WARS lines aren't conflicting. I bet they'd make room for Trek if they wanted it.

Instantly killing the line...seriously, the Klingon book ALWAYS kills a ST RPG line.

Quote Originally Posted by black campbellq
    Instantly killing the line...seriously, the Klingon book ALWAYS kills a ST RPG line.
    Except for FASA -- it took TNG to do that
    - Daniel "A revolution without dancing is a revolution not worth having."

How would it be a conflict, though? Their Bab5 and Starship Troopers and WARS lines aren't conflicting. I bet they'd make room for Trek if they wanted it.
    IMHO, all three of the lines would be competing with each other for our money. That would result in having fragmented audience, similar to what happened to defunct TSR. Too many games, too little audience to support each line indvidually.

-- Monte Cook

A GENERATION KIKAIDA fan

With regards to Mongoose, I sometimes think they are fragmenting their audiences within a game line - I would have to be a wealthier man to keep up with their Babylon 5 releases. I think they have the opposite problem as Decipher - in my opinion they release too many products. I think LUG (when they were healthy) was reasonabe with their rate of releases.
    AKA Breschau of Livonia (mainly rpg forums)
    Gaming blog 19thlevel

With regards to Mongoose, I sometimes think they are fragmenting their audiences within a game line - I would have to be a wealthier man to keep up with their Babylon 5 releases.
    With all due respect, even I can't keep up with WotC's D&D core line release (I haven't decided whether I want Book of Exalted Deed, Book of Vile Darkness, Sandstorm, Frostburn, Races of Stone, Races of Destiny, Savage Races, Monster Manual II, etc.).

I wonder if Mongoose is trying to churn out so many products before the short-term(?) WB license is expired?

-- Monte Cook

A GENERATION KIKAIDA fan

Originally posted by REG
    I haven't decided whether I want Book of Exalted Deed, Book of Vile Darkness, Sandstorm, Frostburn, Races of Stone, Races of Destiny, Savage Races, Monster Manual II, etc
    Getting a bit off topic here, but in my humble opinion, Book of Exalted Deeds and Vile Darkness (Book of, natch) are the two most interesting, best written, and well laid-out supplements Wizards has seen fit to grace us with. I've regreted picking up a few things for d20 D&D, such as that worthless Oriental Adventures book they came out with (what in the name of God were they thinking?!?), but never those two; I make constant use of and reference to them. Get 'em get 'em GET 'EM!

I've regreted picking up a few things for d20 D&D, such as that worthless Oriental Adventures book they came out with (what in the name of God were they thinking?!?)
    With all due respect, I've been wanting a new Oriental Adventures since the 2nd Edition Era. But mind you, I'm not like all your mainland friends who like HERO or House of Flying Dagger but Seven Samurai and Sword of Vengeance samurai/chanbara/sengoku-jidai genre films.

HOWEVER, I have voiced my disagreement regarding the use of Rokugan in the new book.

Besides, you have yet to see what WotC did to revise the Samurai class in Complete Warrior. Their defense? This is what many "western gamers" want because of anime. My response? Those "western gamers" should stop watching elementary-grade cartoons and watch adult-grade Kurosawa-directed films.

Get 'em get 'em GET 'EM!
    Meh. I'm not in a rush.

Back On-Topic...

Perhaps the former LUG staff should pool their money together and buy Decipher, even if it means to initiate a hostile takeover.

-- Monte Cook

A GENERATION KIKAIDA fan

Originally posted by REG
    Back On-Topic...

Perhaps the former LUG staff should pool their money together and buy Decipher, even if it means to initiate a hostile takeover.
    Aw man...just the image that particular scenario (and I like it, REG - I like it!) calls up is of Don (attired in the Emperor's robe as of Episode III; I like dressing Don up in costume, don't I? ) sitting in Warren Holland's office, then putting out a call for his loyal minions to execute Executive Order Sixty-Six...whereupon the lot of us gladly begin gunning down the Decipher admin and executive staff in a hail of M-16, AK-47, Mac 10 and MP-35 fire. The rank and file would be left untouched - as long as they obey the new directive: You're either LUGging for us or against us. Icon, Version 2.0, here we come...