Post Game Over for Decipher?

Business News Source: http://www.insidebiz.com/output.cfm?ID=3818394
    INSIDER NEWS
    Is the game up at Decipher?
    Lawsuits are mounting and fans restless

By Janet Dunphy

Inside Business - Hampton Roads
    Monday August 8, 2005

Will the empire strike back and undo the brilliance behind a privately held company that has a shrinking presence on Granby Street? Sounds like the perfect plot for a new card game.

Unfortunately, the future is murky for Decipher Inc., a Norfolk-based game card company. It found huge success with its Lord of the Rings, Star Trek, Star Wars and How to Host a Murder games, but it has been plagued by personal and professional lawsuits during its tenure.

Even a group of disgruntled tournament winners, formerly loyal fans, is threatening to bring the house down.

Decipher, owned by Warren L. Holland Jr., has had three rounds of layoffs this year totaling at least 50 people, according to several former employees. They said the company’s health insurance has been canceled, too.

Holland sold his 10,000-square-foot building at 253 Granby St. about two weeks ago and is leasing office space next door. Dr. Sture Sigfred, a radiologist who owns about a half-dozen other buildings downtown, said he purchased the building.

There are pending cases brought by Decipher against its former chief financial officer, Rick Eddleman, that begin proceedings in January 2006, and a Kathy Eddleman, with a scheduled hearing for Aug. 26. Several other cases are listed in court records as well, including one in April that required Holland to pay Sentara Hospitals almost $2,700.

Despite repeated attempts, INSIDE BUSINESS was not able to reach Holland or any representatives of his company. The phone was not answered. One employee who was contacted changed her voice mail message one week later to say she no longer works for Decipher. Calls were referred to another employee, Becky Higgerson, who also did not return a phone call.

Randy Muir owns Wild Things, a Salem, Ore., store that sells Decipher’s card games. He said he has done some of the same conventions with Decipher for a decade.

“I have no real problems with them,” said Muir, even though Decipher owes him a reimbursement for products that he ordered and never received. “The product will not arrive. I will be reimbursed with a future product.”

Overall, he said the company isn’t as prompt or professional as it used to be.

“It’s not unexpected, given the layoffs,” Muir said. “A lot of this stuff is like writing on the wall. Other businesses like this have already gone down.”

Meanwhile, the fans are getting restless. John Hawkins, also from Salem, won $2,500 at a Las Vegas tournament in March, the Decipher Vegas Open, and has yet to be paid. The winnings of three other friends bring the amount to over $4,000.

“They are very evasive and don’t answer our phone calls,” Hawkins said. “They’ve treated us well in the past and poorly in the past. They seem to put profits ahead of customer concerns.”

Hawkins has assembled an even larger group, 16 players who are owed tournament money, to take legal action against Decipher. He said he has heard from friends and retailers who order Decipher’s products that the company has closed down two of its three Norfolk warehouses.

“They are shrinking their business to try to get down to a size that is manageable,” Hawkins said.

Chris DeNoma, also of Salem, said he and Hawkins have been playing Decipher games since they were teens.

“We’ve been playing card games since 1994,” DeNoma said. “It’s like a more complex game of chess.”

“We spent money flying down there and on hotel rooms,” he said, referring to the Las Vegas tournament. “It’s just odd that it’s being handled the way it is.”

Some of Decipher’s message boards are rife with fan complaints about unfulfilled orders and speculations on the company’s future. Players want to know if others are experiencing problems with fan dollars, which are credits awarded for purchases.

According to the Decipher Web site, it costs 99 cents a month to belong to the fan club. Others log on to the message boards with no complaints and simply to trade cards.

Decipher has also delayed the sell dates for some highly anticipated products, including Star Trek and Lord of the Rings games. A message posted on its Web site July 29 by “Dan Bojanowski, brand manager,” attributes the problems to production delays.
    Last edited by REG; 08-11-2005 at 11:01 AM.
    Anyhoo, just some random thoughts...

"My philosophy is 'you don't need me to tell you how to play -- I'll just provide some rules and ideas to use and get out of your way.'"
    -- Monte Cook

"Min/Maxing and munchkinism aren't problems with the game: they're problems with the players."
    -- excerpt from Guardians of Order's Role-Playing Game Manifesto

A GENERATION KIKAIDA fan

DISCLAIMER: I Am Not A Lawyer

I find none of this surprising.
    Duct tape is like The Force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together.

- Carl Zwanzig

Quote Originally Posted by IceGiant
    I find none of this surprising.
    True, but their plight is getting much more exposure these days.
    Anyhoo, just some random thoughts...

"My philosophy is 'you don't need me to tell you how to play -- I'll just provide some rules and ideas to use and get out of your way.'"
    -- Monte Cook

"Min/Maxing and munchkinism aren't problems with the game: they're problems with the players."
    -- excerpt from Guardians of Order's Role-Playing Game Manifesto

A GENERATION KIKAIDA fan

DISCLAIMER: I Am Not A Lawyer

They brought it down on themselves; I find myself with little sympathy.
    Patrick Goodman -- Tilting at Windmills

"I dare you to do better." -- Captain Christopher Pike

Beyond the Final Frontier: CODA Star Trek RPG Support

I guess that helps explain why the latest issue of the Star Trek Communicator still hasn't come out yet. I imagine Paramount/Viacom would like to cut the ties to a foundering company.

I wonder how far off Chapter 11 is for Decipher?

I'm not too proud to admit it - I have a pretty severe case of shaudenfreude (not sure about the spelling; if anyone here has a correct version, don't hesitate to provide it) upon reading this news. I can't imagine that any company with the kind of malignant managerial style, and lack of care and concern for its products (see the Narrator's Screen for details) would have the capacity to extend its survival past the initial craze that led to its prosperity.

I speculated an number of months ago that perhaps WotC has been waiting for this all along - the hot young gunslinger self-destructing after making a lot of noise, breaking a lot of plate-glass windows and scaring the women and children folk. Who knows: in a while, Wizards could end up getting the license back and all that Icon stuff could at last be released on an unsuspecting world. Just a dream, but think of it...sigh...

You think you have schadenfreude? I'm giving serious consideration to re-posting this article on their own website, just to see how mad I can get them.
    "It's hard being an evil genius when everybody else is so stupid" -- Quantum Crook

While the ICON release dream is a noble one, I doubt it would ever happen in the mindset of WoTC. Still I for one am sorry for all the people who have lsot their jobs or lost money on these jokers.

Quote Originally Posted by First of Two
    You think you have schadenfreude? I'm giving serious consideration to re-posting this article on their own website, just to see how mad I can get them.
    You think they'd even notice?

When they go down, it could mean the possibility of LotR and ST RPG rights being sold to someone who gives a damn and knows how to run them. Barring that, even just selling the rights to the CODA system could be a good thing.
    - Daniel "A revolution without dancing is a revolution not worth having."

Quote Originally Posted by Ineti
    I guess that helps explain why the latest issue of the Star Trek Communicator still hasn't come out yet. I imagine Paramount/Viacom would like to cut the ties to a foundering company.

I wonder how far off Chapter 11 is for Decipher?
    Probably 1 to 2 years less Paramount pulls the licenses barring any unseen events like some movie studio licensing Rift Wars.

Quote Originally Posted by Sho-sa Kurita
    When they go down, it could mean the possibility of LotR and ST RPG rights being sold to someone who gives a damn and knows how to run them. Barring that, even just selling the rights to the CODA system could be a good thing.
    Perhaps now would be a good time for someone or some group to approach them again (like Don did) to sublicense Trek & LotR RPGs to get all the books out on the market and license CODA with first right of purchase (in case of bankruptcy). Of course if anyone did this Decipher might stick around for a while longer, but atleast the Trek & LotR books would be salvaged.
    Member, TrekRPGnet Development Team | OD&D Guild - The Guild for Original (Classic) D&D | FlintGamers |Free Web Hosting

If couldn't care less whether Decipher stuck around or not, as long as we could get our CODA. I'd be even more interested in getting the CODA engine itself in other hands. CODA in an SRD/OGL form is a nice dream, yeah?
    - Daniel "A revolution without dancing is a revolution not worth having."

Quote Originally Posted by Sho-sa Kurita
    If couldn't care less whether Decipher stuck around or not, as long as we could get our CODA. I'd be even more interested in getting the CODA engine itself in other hands. CODA in an SRD/OGL form is a nice dream, yeah?
    I do not care one way or the other but as the comment here suggest they would like to see them go bankrupt. Some would could also buy the system and licnese is bankruptcy.

Well, I could see Wizards of the Coast buying out Decipher as they had bought Last Unicorn Games for the Star Trek and Dune license as Decipher had renew the Star Trek license for another 5 years. While that would be in someone else's hands, CODA would go the way of Icon. Of course, WOTC has seen its down turn since LUG purchase.

I wonder what the sublicense/licenses would go for (CODA, Trek, LotR) and CODA copyrights outright?

GandalfofBorg has created or is working on Coda BSR .
    Member, TrekRPGnet Development Team | OD&D Guild - The Guild for Original (Classic) D&D | FlintGamers |Free Web Hosting

Well ding dong the witch is dead Ok not quite!

I agree about the aproachment plan, that could be a really good way to give them inscentive: They are going broke and they may bail out fast! Of course you can't sublet if they do go bankrupt, and it would become nasty and complicated to get the rights from paramount. Hmm, I hope something good comes of this, but I can bet it will not be more Coda books, possibly something else, but then the trek Franchise is not what it was!
    Ta Muchly

Oh well, I've got Prime Directive to fiddle with. And I like the SFU. I'll still make stuff for CODA, but Decipher was a BAD idea in the first place. None of this suprises me
    A brave little theory, and actually quite coherent for a system of five or seven dimensions -- if only we lived in one.

Academician Prokhor Zakharov, "Now We Are Alone"