Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Uniforms For Star Trek Online

Quote Originally Posted by JALU3
    So shouldn't they be wearing the future uniforms from All Good Things?
    Or are they considering those from an "Alternative Universe"?
    Well, since they were from an alternate universe, I'd have to say that that's how they're being considered. Since I don't have access to their thought process, I couldn't say for sure.
    Patrick Goodman -- Tilting at Windmills

"I dare you to do better." -- Captain Christopher Pike

Beyond the Final Frontier: CODA Star Trek RPG Support

Well I will admit, they weren't the best uniforms. Those I would reserve for the Movie Era, and the DS9 Era. (and an honorable mention to the Generations Alternative Uniform that was never used)

However, I think these uniforms need vast improvement. They are far to flashy for a uniform. They might as well all have us wearing Dress Mess Uniforms around. What I think they should have is as follows.

1) A standard uniform
    This uniform would be the base uniform that all Starfleet personnel are issued. They are simple, but unique. They do well in most situations.

2) Specialized uniforms depending on Branch Assignment
    For instance, if you are assigned to operations (engineering) you may have a work jumpsuit, full of pockets, or something special while working around the warp core (like in the movie era). But you wouldn't find a Doctor wearing that.

3) Specialized uniforms for specific environments
    Lets face it, Camaflage both visual and electronic would still be necessary. Going into space without a suit is a down right suicidle act. And let us not forget about possible decompression in smaller vessels (i.e. shuttles & fighters).

And there you have it! Is it that difficult? And if they want customization, then they aren't very uniform are they? That is, unless the CO writes a memo stating something for the ship

Well I will admit, they weren't the best uniforms. Those I would reserve for the Movie Era, and the DS9 Era. (and an honorable mention to the Generations Alternative Uniform that was never used)
    Do you have a link to a picture of this one? I've seen it mentioned before, but don't think I ever saw it.

I still think the best of the 24th century uniforms was the one they used on DS9 at the beginning, and all through Voyager. I was never particularly taken by the black-and-grey things they used from First Contact onward.

Basically think of TNG uniforms without rank on the collar. However, use the modern day sleeve ranking system used by the vast majority of navies. These would be in the color of the branch. However, it still didn't leave room to designate enlisted personnel (they always forget about us).

Talking How could they make them worse???

Simple:
    Make 'em PURPLE JUMPSUITS with EXPOSED POCKETS and POUCHES, and making the RED and BLUE so dark, they appear almost INVISIBLE in far away shots on them...oh wait...'THEY' already did that:
    http://www.startrek.com/startrek/mediaview?id=2341

See, the game uniforms are MUUUUUUUUCH BETTER
    ...and that's about the time it hit the fan...

Truisms I know:
    1) Marvel is NOT better than DC (nor should EVERYTHING be ‘ULTIMITED’),
    2) D20 is NOT the best gaming system out there (nor should EVERYTHING be ‘crammed’ into it),
    3) And No matter how ‘THEY’ dress it up, Regardless of how ‘THEY’ title it, and even if ‘THEY’ say “BASED ON…”; “ENTERPRISE” IS NOT STAR TREK!!!
    4) 'Reality' T.V. ain't 'Real'

Salinas, Calif., USA (a Chiefs fan in an unholy land)
    Quote Originally Posted by Modem
    See, the game uniforms are MUUUUUUUUCH BETTER
    Only in your narrow little dreams, Modem.

Seriously, I hope they continue working on making the uniforms for the game more traditional, or, at least, more like Starfleet uniforms (rather than something out of a Cyberpunk game).
    Davy Jones

"Frightened? My dear, you are looking at a man who has laughed in the face of death, sneered at doom, and chuckled at catastrophe! I was petrified."
    -- The Wizard of Oz

Talking How could they make them worse???

Simple:
    Make 'em PURPLE JUMPSUITS...
    Hey! What's wrong with purple?

Anyhoo, just some random thoughts...

"My philosophy is 'you don't need me to tell you how to play -- I'll just provide some rules and ideas to use and get out of your way.'"
    -- Monte Cook

"Min/Maxing and munchkinism aren't problems with the game: they're problems with the players."
    -- excerpt from Guardians of Order's Role-Playing Game Manifesto

A GENERATION KIKAIDA fan

DISCLAIMER: I Am Not A Lawyer

Um..NO S.T...

In REALITY, if such a term can be used with fiction. The uniforms look clean and crisp, and you can TELL they're a dirivative/an evolution of Starfleet uniforms:
    Combadge: Check
    Dept. Colors: Check and VERY visible (UNLIKE 'purple jumpsuits')
    Places for Gear: Check and looks VERY FUNCTIONAL...
    Ranks: Check, and in a visually easier place to see/read.

Additionals:
    Armor? Looks like there's some plating on those suits...
    Belts: Besides holding up one's pants, and holding gear, what else do they do? Recharge Gear? Shield Generators?

This game looks more promising all the time. Hopefully it will be a S.W.: Galaxies 'Killer', and be able to translate Gene's vision well...

(Reg, nothing's wrong with purple or jumpsuits, or combination thereof...it's just when you put OTHER COLORS on them, and YOU CAN'T SEE SAID COLORS...then we have an issue )

Truisms I know:
    2) D20 is NOT the best gaming system out there (nor should EVERYTHING be ‘crammed’ into it),
    3) And No matter how ‘THEY’ dress it up, Regardless of how ‘THEY’ title it, and even if ‘THEY’ say “BASED ON…”; “ENTERPRISE” IS NOT STAR TREK!!!

Quote Originally Posted by PGoodman13
    Do you have a link to a picture of this one? I've seen it mentioned before, but don't think I ever saw it.
    Found it!

This is an example of a Captain's (Command (Line Officer) Branch) Uniform. Note that it mixes elements of the future dress uniforms (not to be confused with the white dress mess uniforms), and modern day officer sleeve rank scale.

If you don't see it. Then right click it. Copy the URL, and past it to the address bar. That should allow you to see it. Sorry for the inconveniance, . . . again.
    Last edited by JALU3; 08-26-2005 at 07:29 AM.

Perhaps just a link will do; the embedded graphic just tells us "Access Denied". Thanks for the effort, though.

EDIT: Never mind; I got it working. Yeah, that looks good. Might have actually made me like 24th century uniforms.

Talking

(Reg, nothing's wrong with purple or jumpsuits, or combination thereof...it's just when you put OTHER COLORS on them, and YOU CAN'T SEE SAID COLORS...then we have an issue )
    Bah! Forget the colors, we'll go with bronze, silver, gold, and platinum.
    Anyhoo, just some random thoughts...

"My philosophy is 'you don't need me to tell you how to play -- I'll just provide some rules and ideas to use and get out of your way.'"
    -- Monte Cook

"Min/Maxing and munchkinism aren't problems with the game: they're problems with the players."
    -- excerpt from Guardians of Order's Role-Playing Game Manifesto

A GENERATION KIKAIDA fan

DISCLAIMER: I Am Not A Lawyer

Basically think of TNG uniforms without rank on the collar. However, use the modern day sleeve ranking system used by the vast majority of navies. These would be in the color of the branch. However, it still didn't leave room to designate enlisted personnel (they always forget about us).
    Agreed. We went with the Voyager-style jumpsuit as "class B" dress with rank stripes in dept. color, and with the alternate uniforms that were supposed to be in Generations (with rank stripes.) Just looks better, IMO.

"Bronze, Silver, Gold, and Platinum"?!?!?!

Reg, are you TRYING to BURN OUT EVERYONE'S MONITORS?!?! ()

Besides: what would 'Trek look like with those colors...the Olympics???

Biggest prob. w/this 'color' set, would be losing sight of combadges and rank pins...unless you made them colored, like: red, yellow, blu...HEY, WAIT-A-MINUTE!!!

Re: Generations-alternate uniforms:
    Yeah, they were cool (got a las-copy of them in one of my Trek folders as refference: 'what looks cool for a uniform'), but of they HAD 'gone through', then it's doubtful that the 'First Contact' uniforms would have been used, let alone created. And really, as much as I like the 'Gen.' uniforms (I use a variant in my 25th Cent game), I think the 'right direction' was chosen that time...

Truisms I know:

Re: Generations-alternate uniforms:
    Yeah, they were cool (got a las-copy of them in one of my Trek folders as refference: 'what looks cool for a uniform'), but of they HAD 'gone through', then it's doubtful that the 'First Contact' uniforms would have been used, let alone created. And really, as much as I like the 'Gen.' uniforms (I use a variant in my 25th Cent game), I think the 'right direction' was chosen that time...
    I think they would have made a great transittional uniform, and should have lasted about 20-25 years. This way, I think, the first contact uniform could have transitioned to how they look currently, with the addition of keeping the sleeve rank stripes in the proposed (but never used) 'Generations-alternate' uniforms.

However, as stated before, they lacked identification of enlisted personnel. For this I would have proposed, upper sleeve identification such as modern uniforms currently posses.

Furthermore, I remember it being argued that one reason why the 'Generations-alternate' uniform shouldn't be used due to the fact that it made people with higher ranks larger targets due to the simple rank system that could be seen from a long range. For this I would suggest that a battle dress uniform have its rank located on the rear part of the collar. This way, as long as the individual is facing the enemy, it would be visible to those whom he/she leads, without exposing it simply to the enemy. This would act much like the rank painted on to the rear of the helmets of those landing on the beaches of Normandy in D-Day. Just an idea.