Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Uniforms For Star Trek Online

Uniforms For Star Trek Online

These are the designs they are using for the online game...

Can't say I like them, but YMMV

http://startrek.perpetual.com/images/VEGAS_CHARbg.jpg

Strange, they look more like a personal armour suit than an uniform... which would be fitting for security, but for the medical officier ?

Let's hope this doesn't mean the game will be too much combat-oriented...
    "The main difference between Trekkies and Manchester United fans is that Trekkies never trashed a train carriage. So why are the Trekkies the social outcasts?"
    Terry Pratchett

Salinas, Calif., USA (a Chiefs fan in an unholy land)
    To quote my favorite brown shirt: Huh.

I can't say I'm impressed with the modified look -- it looks too much like someone was getting their inspiration from Alternity artists. I don't know what's possessing them to think they need to update the uniform.

And, wouldn't the Vulcan wear her collar zipped up? I thought most ships were colder than home, and Vulcans aren't concerned about looking sexy.

Edit: Okay, I read through the blog description of the devs' reasoning for modifying the uniforms. I understand their motivations, but I'm still not impressed. I'd rather keep something closer to what's actually on screen.
    Last edited by Sea Tyger; 08-23-2005 at 09:33 AM.
    Davy Jones

"Frightened? My dear, you are looking at a man who has laughed in the face of death, sneered at doom, and chuckled at catastrophe! I was petrified."
    -- The Wizard of Oz

I don't care one way or another since it's 24th century and that holds just about zero interest for me.

OTOH, they look more like costumes than uniforms; if I was interested in the time period, I think I'd probably hate these.
    Patrick Goodman -- Tilting at Windmills

"I dare you to do better." -- Captain Christopher Pike

Beyond the Final Frontier: CODA Star Trek RPG Support

Ok, reading the blogs indeed makes this uniforms more understandable, but I'm not sure I agree with the developpers on that point. Yeah, customizing one's character appearance is a nice thing in MMORPG, but I'm not sure it's the main appeal...
    "The main difference between Trekkies and Manchester United fans is that Trekkies never trashed a train carriage. So why are the Trekkies the social outcasts?"
    Terry Pratchett

It's like a comic book version of the uniform.... Could work for super team uniforms, but too... Spandex-looking for a day-in day-out uniform.

But then, in my defense, I thought the same thing about the uniforms from "Buck Rogers" back in the Gil Gerard days, too. And I was a hell of a lot younger then...
    Former Decipher RPG Net Rep

"Doug, at the keyboard, his fingers bleeding" (with thanks to Moriarti)

In D&D3E, Abyssal is not the language of evil vacuum cleaners.

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Tyger

To quote my favorite brown shirt: Huh.
    Exactly my reaction, too.

If anything, the Conn officer's uniform is much more decent than the rest. Still, I can't help wondering what's with the PVC clothing?
    Anyhoo, just some random thoughts...

"My philosophy is 'you don't need me to tell you how to play -- I'll just provide some rules and ideas to use and get out of your way.'"
    -- Monte Cook

"Min/Maxing and munchkinism aren't problems with the game: they're problems with the players."
    -- excerpt from Guardians of Order's Role-Playing Game Manifesto

A GENERATION KIKAIDA fan

DISCLAIMER: I Am Not A Lawyer

Interesting reading. I particularly liked the new Okudagrams, very swish, I wonder what they will look like in the real world, on a low res bitmap ? I think I'm going to need a faster computer and graphics card somehow

I also agree, they do look just a little - super hero-ish, rather than being Trek uniforms, but then I guess it's going to be a huge problem in Trek having any amount of individuality!
    Ta Muchly

Let me just say something: WTF!

If I wanted to be a superhero I would continue to play City of Heroes. I am looking forward to ST: O because I am looking to roleplay a member of Starfleet. This intails uniforms, ships, starbases, shuttles, etc. Not some superspandex metal thingy wear. Give us our established uniforms. If there needs to be personalization let that be with your off duty clothing, or wiht the types of equipment you are currently equiped with.

Let me guess, next, they'll give optional Movie Era uniforms at a certain level?
    -sigh-

I fear that this'll end up like the vast majority of computer games that had the Star Trek title. That means, not living up to the greatness it could be.

If anything why don't they go with the alternative Star Trek Generations Uniform, where they had the rank indicated on the sleeve. Or just go with the DS9/'battle grey' uniforms. Are there not enough variants of that from DS9 and TNG movies?

-sigh-

Thumbs up Well, I DO know art...

And I DO know what I like, and I can't really say I hate these 'suits'. If they're go to use these uniforms, then it'd be better to move the setting to post-DS9, post-Voyager and tack on five/six years...but the PTB probably won't .

Still, I was expecting worse...
    ...and that's about the time it hit the fan...

Truisms I know:
    1) Marvel is NOT better than DC (nor should EVERYTHING be ‘ULTIMITED’),
    2) D20 is NOT the best gaming system out there (nor should EVERYTHING be ‘crammed’ into it),
    3) And No matter how ‘THEY’ dress it up, Regardless of how ‘THEY’ title it, and even if ‘THEY’ say “BASED ON…”; “ENTERPRISE” IS NOT STAR TREK!!!
    4) 'Reality' T.V. ain't 'Real'

Quote Originally Posted by Modem
    You know, that's a scary statement. I mean how can the mess this up? The uniforms are right there. And plus, there are fan altered uniforms everywhere on the net. It wouldn't cost them to much to get the rights. And don't tell me that the people @ Paramount have approved this. If they have, there is officially no hope at bringing back a Star Trek that is half way decent for the next decade.

I mean come on!

Quote Originally Posted by Modem
    And I DO know what I like, and I can't really say I hate these 'suits'. If they're go to use these uniforms, then it'd be better to move the setting to post-DS9, post-Voyager and tack on five/six years...but the PTB probably won't .

According to the FAQ (or was it one of the devblogs...can't remember at the moment), STO is set something like 20 years post-Nemesis.

Quote Originally Posted by JALU3
    You know, that's a scary statement. I mean how can the mess this up? The uniforms are right there. And plus, there are fan altered uniforms everywhere on the net. It wouldn't cost them to much to get the rights. And don't tell me that the people @ Paramount have approved this. If they have, there is officially no hope at bringing back a Star Trek that is half way decent for the next decade.

I mean come on!
    As I understand the process, they couldn't release something like this even as a teaser if Paramount hadn't signed off on it.

Quote Originally Posted by PGoodman13
    According to the FAQ (or was it one of the devblogs...can't remember at the moment), STO is set something like 20 years post-Nemesis.
    So shouldn't they be wearing the future uniforms from All Good Things?
    Or are they considering those from an "Alternative Universe"?

Quote Originally Posted by JALU3
    So shouldn't they be wearing the future uniforms from All Good Things?
    Or are they considering those from an "Alternative Universe"?
    Lord knows I do. Those things were a different sort of fugly!