Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hurricane Katrina Damage photos

Unhappy Hurricane Katrina Damage photos

http://www.wwltv.com/sharedcontent/b...katrina/2.html

Nawlin's won't be the same. Place will need to be leveled after this
    A brave little theory, and actually quite coherent for a system of five or seven dimensions -- if only we lived in one.

Academician Prokhor Zakharov, "Now We Are Alone"

This is terrible! What a mess! I wish those still there, whether victim or helper, good luck!
    We came in peace, for all mankind - Apollo 11

I think "mess" is too weak a word for such a disaster. In some places it really looks like hell broke loose (which in a way is what happened). My earnest sympathy ot all those who live(d) there . Nice to see that most of our leaders are offering some help. Not sure the US will need/accept it, but still .

Disclaimer: The following may need to be moved to Sarek's Lounge, I don't know. I'm not trying to start a political debate here, just to assess the validity of the data I got. So ... I was trying to find some infos about the situation down there, and while browsing, stumbled upon this site:
    http://www.dailykos.com/storyonly/2005/8/30/225058/062
    The site makes some rather strong statements, I just can't determine whether this is just diffamation (does this word even exist in English? Lies I meant) or whether this is true .
    Every procedure for getting a cat to take a pill works fine -- once.
    Like the Borg, they learn...
    -- (Terry Pratchett, alt.fan.pratchett)

I believe the word is defamation that you are looking for
    A brave little theory, and actually quite coherent for a system of five or seven dimensions -- if only we lived in one.

Close enough . Thanks .
    Every procedure for getting a cat to take a pill works fine -- once.
    Like the Borg, they learn...
    -- (Terry Pratchett, alt.fan.pratchett)

It's pretty inflamatory language.

From the US Army corps of engineers http://www.mvn.usace.army.mil/pao/re...asp?prj=lkpon1

Seems to confirm some of the information. I imagine hunting down articles in the local paper (if the site's up) would confirm the rest.

Dunno if factual confirmation of statements (money was diverted away from these projects) means the conclusion that gets drawn (bush's incompetence killed people) is correct.

Alex

The 'Daily Kos' site is quite liberal (by United States standards) and never misses an opportunity to bash Bush. Not that he's not bashworthy for a lot of reasons, but -- just trying to add a bit of perspective.

I fear some of these assertions might be Louisiana politicians attempting to CYA for their own failures. It isn't the Federal government's exclusive responsibility to take care of states in this country. In addition -- the city has sunk from when the French established it centuries ago, and is now six feet below sea level -- essentially, it's a big bowl waiting for the ocean to pour in. Sadly, it was only a matter of time until it did.

My earnest best wishes go out to the survivors, and hopes that rescue comes soon.

Unhappy

We had some damage here in Baton Rouge, but NOTHING like what you're seeing in New Orleans. Many fen made it up here and elsewhere and we've been trying to keep track.

One name I've not seen yet is Cyberludite. Where are you dude? Are you okay?
    "The best diplomat I know is a fully activated phaser bank" -Montgomery Scott

For your sanity, he appears to be hiding out in this thread safe and well

taying out of the political stuff
    Ta Muchly

When did he last post? Cyberludite that is.
    Here it is: http://forum.trek-rpg.net/showthread...485#post146485
    On 01SEP05. Good, he's safe.

And CMDR Powers, why don't you join use down in R-X's thing ;-). OK I know that is off topic . . . but . . . We still need a Chief Engineer.

Parked within 10 feet of 29 degrees, 57' N, 90 degrees, 8' W. Did I mention my new phone has GPS?
    Kos is well known to be an idiot. He's the one who (in)famously replied "Screw 'em" about the four Americans who were murdered in Falujah, then burned & hung from a bridge.

Back on topic, every Congress since the 1960s has passed the buck on making our hurricane levees secure vs. a Cat-5 storm. Quite frankly, given the level of damage such a storm would do (and, in fact has done), it was considered a waste of money to try & protect against them. Until last week, that gamble payed off. It is interesting to note that the section of the 17th Street canal's levee that broke was in fact one of the sections that had been upgraded.
    "If it ain't the Devil's music, you ain't doin' it right" -- Chris Thomas King

"C makes for an awfully long lever." - H. Beam Piper

There is only a limited ammount you can do to protect yourself from nature's fury: nature always finds a way, and sidesteps all of your carefully laid plans. (This rule also applies to players when you are the GM ).

I guess what counts is not what you did to prepare yourself but how you coped in the face of it and how people helped each other afterwards. Adveristy always brings out the best in people, but what is sad is it also can bring out the worst too. I wish everyone would stop trying to find someone to blame for it, it's just hot air, and it helps no one.
    Ta Muchly

Thanks guys! I'm very happy to see that Cyberludite came through okay. We fared much better up here in Baton Rouge, by comparison. Though the doubling of our population will have unthought of effects down the road...
    "The best diplomat I know is a fully activated phaser bank" -Montgomery Scott