Thread: Admiral Ozzel passes away...

Admiral Ozzel passes away...

Michael Sheard, who played Admiral Ozzel in The Empire Strikes Back and Hitler in Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade (among other roles), passed away at home on the Isle of Wight today at 65.

Farewell, Admiral. You didn't fail us.
    When you are dead, you don't know that you are dead. It is difficult only for others.

It's the same when you are stupid...

Salinas, Calif., USA (a Chiefs fan in an unholy land)
    Wow, Sheard played Hitler 5 different times (including in the made-for-TV Dirty Dozen sequel and two appearances in the TV series The Tomorrow People) and Heinrich Himmler twice. He was also the U-Boat captain in Raiders of the Lost Arc (for which he was also uncredited; he wasn't credited for his appearance as Hitler in Last Crusade).

He wasn't a major (albeit remembered ) character in Empire Strikes Back, but I never stopped to look at what is really an illustrious British TV and film acting career.

Rest in peace, Admiral Ozzel.
    Davy Jones

"Frightened? My dear, you are looking at a man who has laughed in the face of death, sneered at doom, and chuckled at catastrophe! I was petrified."
    -- The Wizard of Oz

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Tyger
    He wasn't a major (albeit remembered ) character in Empire Strikes Back, but I never stopped to look at what is really an illustrious British TV and film acting career.

Rest in peace, Admiral Ozzel.
    Maybe I'm a geek. Okay, certainly I'm a geek. But I remembered him as the first (that we saw) force choke fatality.

I met him in Montreal at a con a couple of years back. Seemed to be a very nice gentleman who was a little bemused that this bit part generated such a fuss - not that he was complaining, as he enjoyed going to cons and meeting the fans!

At the same con, I also met Teryl Rothery (the doctor from Stargate SG-1, who signed the event horizon on my Stargate model.

You. Met. Teryl. Rothery.?.

*resists cursing Owen's name forever*

Sorry...sorry! It's just that you...actually...met my all-time favourite sci-fi uber-babe!

Stargate SG-1 (Late Season 7) Spoiler Warning - highlight to read:

I was hard-put not to cry my eyes out in Heroes

End spoiler...
    When you are dead, you don't know that you are dead. It is difficult only for others.

It's the same when you are stupid...

I have to agree with you there Alderon

of course none of you american types will remember 'Mr Bronson' probably one of the most famous characters on TV when I was a kid it's sad to hear he's died, but by the looks of things he had a full life, his filmography is huge!
    Ta Muchly

Unhappy

Being a regular UK con-goer a few years ago, I (amongst many others) got to know him pretty well. He used to make a point of dragging the quiet ones out of their shell, and was well known for his "conducting" of "School's out" (a Mr Bronson reference) at the discos.

He was best man at a good friend's wedding and took part in a murder mystery I ran in 2001. Wonderful chap - we're all missing him muchly.

For those hunting down his cult acting credits, his highest profile role, apart from Ozzel, was as Hitler in Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade, and he has appeared in Dr Who, Blake's 7 and the Tomorrow People (as Hitler, believe it or not!). He once estimated he'd done over 80 films and tv shows.
    Jon

"There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, where the sea is asleep and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song.
    Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, and somewhere else the tea is getting cold. Come on, Ace, we've got work to do."
    THE DOCTOR, "Survival" (Doctor Who)