Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Fun with Greyscale

ooh, nifty.

I've always figured they'd have underslung a pair of torpedo launchers, one port one starboard, just peeking around the lower saucer, rather than sticking it in the saucer section, but this works really well.

Me like.

Alex

USS Durret Class Frigate

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Blake
    Me like.
    Yay! I made ONE person happy!

Actually, I looked at doing that, since the Phobos has that layout. The lines of the Loknar, though, don't go out nearly far enough port and starboard to allow for a heavy launcher like that. :S

I also figured that since the new primary hull was SO much bigger, that the extra space could just be tucked into there. No '5 Forward' bar on this Loknar class, no no no.

Loknar rocks!

I can't wait to see other classics like the Derf and the Larson upgraded maybe

Quote Originally Posted by TFVanguard

Actually, I looked at doing that, since the Phobos has that layout. The lines of the Loknar, though, don't go out nearly far enough port and starboard to allow for a heavy launcher like that. :S

I also figured that since the new primary hull was SO much bigger, that the extra space could just be tucked into there. No '5 Forward' bar on this Loknar class, no no no.
    It looks good. It's now my desktop background here at work. it has character.

and having the torpedo launchers internal make them slightly less targetable, which should help ship survivability.

I'll second the Larson nomination.

The Durret looks a little too high profile for what I consider a frigate. "Hey y'all, blow the crap out of that big strut thing." But hey, that's just me.

Alex

USS Larson (Refit) Class

Took a cue from the Loknar on the large torpedo bay (mentioned as part of the refit, but not included in the original art) and added the 'Miranda style' impulse housing. I also made a new 'toolkit' graphic.. the side pennant.

It looks good. It's now my desktop background here at work. it has character.
    Means a lot, particularly coming off of the metric reaming I took on one of the FASA boards when I posted it... gah!

I'll second the Larson nomination.
    See above... I was going to redo her anyway... but I need to take tommorow to get some of the write-ups, etc, back together into PDF form again.

The Durret looks a little too high profile for what I consider a frigate. "Hey y'all, blow the crap out of that big strut thing." But hey, that's just me.
    FASA had her as a cruiser, but she's way too light for that role. I agree that strut seems awfully fragile... if I were designing her, I would reign that in a bit, or even put the torp into the front of the hull and tuck the whole thing tighter - but that's just me.

Beautiful artwork, TFV!
    Looks as if they came right off the page of a FASA ship recognition manual.

That Larson is gorgeous

Means a lot, particularly coming off of the metric reaming I took on one of the FASA boards when I posted it... gah!
    So, FASA people are idiots, got it.

FASA had her as a cruiser, but she's way too light for that role. I agree that strut seems awfully fragile... if I were designing her, I would reign that in a bit, or even put the torp into the front of the hull and tuck the whole thing tighter - but that's just me.
    Some of the later FASA designs didn't look quite ... possible. Maybe realistic would be a better word, but I'm willing to suspend disbelief for a lot.

The TNG officer's book, f'r instance. They had some messed up looking ships. Like they were about to pitch over forward. There were some nice ones too. But their earlier stuff seemed better.

Alex

Quote Originally Posted by AslanC
    That Larson is gorgeous
    Seconded. Wow. That sure is pretty.

Now I don't know which one to use as my background. Sigh. Such dilemmas.

Alex

More than one, actually; I just haven't had the time to chime in of late. Love the movie-era updates you're doing.
    Patrick Goodman -- Tilting at Windmills

"I dare you to do better." -- Captain Christopher Pike

Beyond the Final Frontier: CODA Star Trek RPG Support

USS Montojo Class Tug/Transport

Yeah, a fit of laziness by someone, I suppose, but it's a workable design...

I think I like the Ptolemy better, but that might just be familiarity. (if you can use both without copyright infringement, I suppose).

I would think that a 2 container cargo ship might be more necessary, and with this one's warp engines being on a different plane, that might be possible here. A T or something coming off the bottom to attach 2 containers, so they're in parallel to the warp engines.

But, that's changing the design from what's given/listed/intended.

You do good work. This stuff is great. Makes me want to run a TOS/Movie era game.

Alex

You do good work. This stuff is great. Makes me want to run a TOS/Movie era game.
    Since mine is already a late movie era game, it's great for me....
    Patrick Goodman -- Tilting at Windmills

"I dare you to do better." -- Captain Christopher Pike

Beyond the Final Frontier: CODA Star Trek RPG Support