Thread: [CODA-SS] Tal Shaia-class Battlecruiser

[CODA-SS] Tal Shaia-class Battlecruiser

And you guys thought I'd forgotten about this little gem, hadn't you?

Tal Shaia-class Battlecruiser

Production Data
    Origin: Romulan Star Empire
    Class and Type: Tal Shaia-class Battlecruiser
    Year Launched: 2272

Hull Data
    Structure: 35
    Size/Decks: 6/12 decks
    Length/Height/Beam: 209/55/147 meters
    Complement: 320 officers and crew

Operational Data
    Transporters: 6 standard, 6 emergency, 6 cargo
    Cargo Units: 60
    Cloaking Device: Class 2 (Rating 18)
    Separation System: No
    Shuttlebay: Yes
    Shuttlecraft: 6 size worth
    Tractor Beams: 1 fv, 1 av
    Sensor System: Class 3 (+3/D)
    Operations System: Class 3 (D)
    Life Support: Class 3 (D)

Propulsion Data
    Impulse System: K-HEU-4 (.6) (C)
    Warp System: RWC-2 (6/8/9 OCU) (C)

Tactical Data
    Disruptor Banks: K-GDM-4 (x5/C)
    Penetration: 5/5/4/0/0
    Plasma Torpedos: RPT-1 (x1/C)
    Penetration: 4/3/2/1/0
    Deflector Shield: PFF 2a (B)
    Protection/Threshold: 13/3

Miscellaneous Data
    Maneuver Modifers: +1 C, +0 H, +3 T

Description/History: The short-lived Klingon-Romulan treaty of 2268 gave the Romulans a chance to better some of their weapons and ship technology, while it offered the Klingons access to the schematics for the cloaking device. While in many ways, the Romulans got the short end of the stick on that deal, their spies were able to get far more technology than the Klingons had originally intended for the Romulans to have.

The deal helped bootstrap some Romulan research and development efforts in both warp and impulse drives, as well as weapons research. It also left the Romulans with a not inconsiderable number of old Klingon D7 battlecruisers. While some of these ships were put into the field immediately in an effort to bolster the fleet, they were not popular postings. The Senate also didn't much like the thought of loyal Romulans serving on ships that had, until recently, been the hallmark vessel of a mortal enemy. A program was launched almost immediately to "Romulanize" the D7 vessels.

The result was the Tal Shaia-class battlecruiser, a vessel that would prove to be an eerie precursor of the D'Deridex-class battleship nearly a century later. The vessel was largely gutted, with many of the systems replaced altogether by superior Romulan systems. Pragmatism won out in several instances, and the designers had to admit that some Klingon systems were superior to their own, and so they were used after minor modifications. A plasma torpedo system was mounted in place of the original photon torpedo launcher, and a cloaking device installed (as had been done on the conventional D7s). The ship's structure was reinforced, and additional superstructure added. The result was a deceptively powerful ship with menacing lines.

It was still too much a Klingon ship, however, and the design never quite caught the fancy of the Romulan people. All the existing D7 cruisers in the Romulan inventory were eventually upgraded to this design, but new vessels were never constructed. Several of these ships were destroyed in the Tomed Incident; the remaining ships of the class were finally retired in the early 2330s.

Design Notes: Y'know, this was kind of fun...it's been a while since I've done a ship design, and this one was just a nifty little mutt, what with the mix-and-match Klingon and Romulan parts. I hope I've done it justice, but I think I'll let you guys be the judge of that.

If some of you guys who've done ship designs more recently can check me on this baby, I'd be most grateful.

EDIT: Fixed a typo.
    Last edited by PGoodman13; 01-02-2009 at 04:14 PM. Reason: Fix a broken link
    Patrick Goodman -- Tilting at Windmills

"I dare you to do better." -- Captain Christopher Pike

Beyond the Final Frontier: CODA Star Trek RPG Support

Quote Originally Posted by PGoodman13
    And you guys thought I'd forgotten about this little gem, hadn't you?
    I never have forgotten your promise to come around and build one if you could find the time. I just stopped harrassing you, after you pointed out, that I obviously wasn't a father just yet, remember?
    I have to say I'm impressed and very happy to see your take of the Tal Shaia.

If some of you guys who've done ship designs more recently can check me on this baby, I'd be most grateful.
    When I get to my Star Trek RPG stuff, I'll compare it to my version. From the top of it I'd say, your fluff text is better (IIRC my version had none )

It's a beatiful romulan ship, isn't it?! :-)

EDIT: I don't have to be at home for 'my' Tal Shaia. It's right here on the boards, of course. :-) And guess what, there was flavour text as well... Here you go.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cut
    Tal Shaia Class Battlecruiser (Movie Era Warbird)

Size 6
    Space 82 (used 82)
    Structure 25

20 decks (350m length / 98 m height / 252 beam)

350 Crew

OPERATIONAL SYSTEMS:
    Operations Systems Class 2 (8 space) Reliability C
    Life Support Systems Class 1 (4 space) Reliability B
    Sensor Systems Class 3 (3 space) Reliability D (+3/+2/+1/0/0)

Cloaking Device Class 3 (8 space)

Shuttlebay: Yes, one, 6 size worth
    Tractor beams: 2 (1 space)
    Transporters: 3 personal / 3 emergency / 3 cargo

PROPULSION SYSTEMS:

Sublight: Romulan Class 2 (5 space) Reliability C
    (Max C 0.9)

Warp: FTL Romulan Type 4C (6 space) Reliability D
    Warp Speed (6/7/8,5)

WEAPONS SYSTEMS:
    Beam Weapons:
    RPFD-3 Disruptors (x3) OV 15 (15 space)
    Beam Penetration (4/4/4/0/0)

Missile Weapons:
    RPT - 3 Plasma Torpedoes (x2) OV 18 (18 space)
    Plasma Penetration (7/6/5/4/3)

DEFENSIVE SYSTEMS:

Romulan Deflector System equivalent of Type
    CIDSS - 2 Protection Value: 14 (9 space)
    Shield Threshold: 3 (2 space)

MANEUVER MODIFIERS:

Command: +1
    Helm: -2
    Tactical: +2 (1 space)

NOTES:

As part of the technological exchange program during their alliance with the Klingons the Romulan Empire gained some D7 class Battle Cruisers.
    Not entirely pleased with the performance of these vessels and the fact that they were, well, klingon ships, Romulan designers retroengineered some ships and came up with a Warbird design based upon the D7 spaceframe.
    They added another layer to the bottom of the spaceframe, downgraded the lifesupport systems and outfitted the new ship with excellent sensors and offensive systems. The most powerful cloaking systems should enable the cruiser to close up to the target and unleash the devastating fire power of the plasma torpedoes at close range. A strong shield grid was supposed to keep the Warbird in battle for a long time despite the fact, that the engineers had to reduce the ships structure in order to cramp all the new systems into it.
    The class performed well, though it was only produced in limited numbers as it never went into mass production due to limited supply of D7 spaceframes.
    In spite of the old age and small produced numbers some ships seem to have survived unexpectedly long periods of time and have been encountered on patrol duty deep in Romulan space during and after the Dominion War, freeing D'Deridex class warbirds and other more modern attack ships for front line action.

[Design created by TFVanguard. Can be seen here: http://forum.trek-rpg.net/showthread...=12372&page=5]

I'll look on your stats more closely once I have actually at least Starships at hand and am not supposed to be working on this PC not browsing the internet

my take on TAL SHAIA-class

ROMULAN TAL SHAIA-class
    battlecruiser;commissioned:2285[upgrade:2305]{upgrade:2320}

HULL DATA
    structure:30[25]
    size/decks:6/20
    L/B/H:350/252/89
    complement:350

TACTICAL DATA
    disruptor banks:RPFD-2(x3/B);[RPFD-3(x3/B)
    penetration:3/3/3/0/0;[4/4/4/0/0]
    plasma energy torpedo:RPT-1(x2/B);[RPT-3(x2/B)
    penetration:6/5/4/3/2;[7/6/5/4/3]
    deflector shield:CIDSS-2
    protection/threshold:14/2(C)

PROPULSION DATA
    impulse system:RIB-2(0.8c/BB);[CLASS-2(0.9c/C]
    warp system7/8/10ocu)(BB);[TYPE-2(5.4/6.9/7.9mcu)(C)]

OPERATIONAL DATA
    cargo units:60
    cloaking device:CLASS 2(rating 18);{CLASS 3(rating 20)}
    life support:CLASS 2(C);{CLASS 1(B)}
    sensor system:CLASS 3(+3/D)
    shuttlebay: 1ad
    shuttlecraft:6 size worth
    tractorbeams: 2(1 ad, 1fv)
    transporters: 3 standard/3 emergency/3 cargo

MISCELLANOUS DATA
    maneuver modifiers: +1C, -2H, +2T
    traits:[enhanced system: warp system(x2)]

Y'know, looking it over and getting over the excitement of actually doing something creative that was just for me, I think I might go back to the drawing board and downgrade a couple of things. I think I went overboard on the disruptors, for one thing, and I really don't think the Romulans have that sort of inadequacy issue.

Salinas, Calif., USA (a Chiefs fan in an unholy land)
    WIth just a quick glance at the systems and fluff text, Patrick, it looks good to me. I'll get around to checking the math at some point.
    Davy Jones

"Frightened? My dear, you are looking at a man who has laughed in the face of death, sneered at doom, and chuckled at catastrophe! I was petrified."
    -- The Wizard of Oz

I never have forgotten your promise to come around and build one if you could find the time. I just stopped harrassing you, after you pointed out, that I obviously wasn't a father just yet, remember?
    I'm sorry I've been such a lousy correspondent, by the way; between fatherhood (Brontė turns 9 months old on Thursday!) and working on stuff for Decipher, my days have just been packed. Your emails are still in my inbox, and I really should do you the courtesy of a reply....
    I have to say I'm impressed and very happy to see your take of the Tal Shaia.
    Glad you like. I'm still toying with the notion of down-gunning her slightly; I think I may have gone a little ballistic (pardon the pun) with the disruptor banks. This thing could do some major slicing and dicing, I think, against some of her contemporaries.
    It's a beatiful romulan ship, isn't it?! :-)
    I'll give you that it's a neat looking ship, and I think we both did something interesting with it. I'll stand by my statement, however, that it's probably still too "alien" (specifically, way too Klingon) for the Romulans and their tastes.

I'll give you that it's a neat looking ship, and I think we both did something interesting with it. I'll stand by my statement, however, that it's probably still too "alien" (specifically, way too Klingon) for the Romulans and their tastes.
    They simply didn't do enough Romulan ships on the shows. The ships in Memesis didn't do it for me, but the D'Deridex...wow...that was a beauty. I realy like the Tal Shaia and 'my' Romulans would gladly use it. Your version more happily than mine, I'd say

I'm sorry I've been such a lousy correspondent, by the way; between fatherhood (Brontė turns 9 months old on Thursday!) and working on stuff for Decipher, my days have just been packed. Your emails are still in my inbox, and I really should do you the courtesy of a reply...
    No problem, man! I'm an uncle, I know how it is with kids around the house. It's simply the best that can happen to your life, but the worst that could happen to your free time :-)
    And I think we are all agreeing on this: It's more important to keep knocking on Decipher's doors and keep .pdf ready stuff coming rightat them. Don't worry about answering my mails, we can talk here all the time

As to downgrading your take, I'm not sure what to say, I think I have to print out your version and compare it to mine. I'm just not a computer files guy, I need printed paper whenever possible.

All the best to you and Bronte (where is that stilish 'e' thing on my keyboard, anyway?! ) and the mother ;-)

All the best to you and Bronte (where is that stilish 'e' thing on my keyboard, anyway?! ) and the mother ;-)
    Hold the Alt key. Enter 0235 on the numeric keypad. Release the Alt key. Voila! You have an e with a diaresis thusly: ė.

Brontė and Tiffany thank you for your kind thoughts.

Hold the Alt key. Enter 0235 on the numeric keypad. Release the Alt key. Voila! You have an e with a diaresis thusly: ė.

Brontė and Tiffany thank you for your kind thoughts.
    Alt key...0235...let go of Alt key: ė

Wow, it worked

You never stop learning in life, do you?!

Not if you're lucky.

Not if you're lucky.

I'm used to being a lucky guy!

Quote Originally Posted by Cut View Post
    Alt key...0235...let go of Alt key: ė

Wow, it worked

And I nearly asked you how to do that once again

Your daughter Brontė of course deserves to be spelt right. I apologize for messing the spelling up more often than not. I hope you'll forgive me.

Quote Originally Posted by Cut View Post
    And I nearly asked you how to do that once again

Your daughter Brontė of course deserves to be spelt right. I apologize for messing the spelling up more often than not. I hope you'll forgive me.
    Nothing to apologize for, though you're certainly forgiven if you feel you need to be. We get it a lot, so we're kinda used to it.

Thanks.

I myself am a bit picky with my first name. Some people feel the need to replace the 'c' with a 'k'. Who knows Why? So I care a lot about the wishes concerning the spelling and pronounciation of first and given names.