Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Fun with Greyscale

Fun with Greyscale

Well, I'm revisiting some of my older files, and found a smallish FASA-based project, converting the Franz Joseph designs into FASA stats. I don't currently own the FASA starship combat game, so I can't really rework the stats with adequate knowledge, but I thought I would take a stab at the artwork. So, today and tommorow, I'm going to work on the five classes Franz Joseph had in his 'Bible'.

Saladin Class Destroyer

Very nice clean lines, as always. Nice work, very reminiscient of the Franz Joseph work!
    Ta Muchly

Hermes Class Scout

Constitution class. Odd, this came out a bit 'bulky' somehow, despite using measured components. I think the nacelle drawings I used as a base were too stubby.. though, since I'm not shooting for 100 percent accuracy anyway (using a lot of details which AREN'T on the model, I'll deal with it.

Really nice stuff man

Ptolemy class. I ditched the preceeding '3' in the registry to bring its number down to something more reasonable for the period. (The 3000 series would be Enterprise-B era, going by what we see in 'canon'... ).

The Federation Class Dreadnought

Guys, 'Dreadnought' as in the 'biggest battleship we have'.. superlative case, there are NO other Dreadnoughts for the time period, and NO bigger capitol ships. From here on up, it's starbases... *rue!*

This finishes the Franz Joseph designs. Next up will be the 'Fasa Classic Four'.

Quote Originally Posted by Tobian
    Very nice clean lines, as always. Nice work, very reminiscient of the Franz Joseph work!
    Yay! Glad you guys liked! Like I said, I did include some new details (phasers mentioned in dialog but not on the model, the gangway, etc...), but I tried to be fairly true to the older works. I still think my warp engines are stubby. I wonder if I got the old AMT layout for them by mistake....

Nelson class Intelligence Scout

Quote Originally Posted by TFVanguard

Guys, 'Dreadnought' as in the 'biggest battleship we have'.. superlative case, there are NO other Dreadnoughts for the time period, and NO bigger capitol ships. From here on up, it's starbases... *rue!*

This finishes the Franz Joseph designs. Next up will be the 'Fasa Classic Four'.
    So, uh... what's up with the rear-facing deflector?
    Portfolio | Blog Currently Running: Call of Cthulhu, Star Trek GUMSHOE Currently Playing: DramaSystem, Swords & Wizardry

Originally Posted by TFVanguard

I hate fed ships with three nacelles......actually, I dislike all fed ships with odd numbers of nacelles. They always look odd to me.

Cheers

Tas
    "Wherever you go....there you are!"

Quote Originally Posted by C. Huth
    So, uh... what's up with the rear-facing deflector?
    Simple, when the Technical Manual was made, that wasn't a deflector. That was a heavy sensor system. (IE, it really was a big-ass radar dish.)

I had considered redoing it, but figured that the 'do anything emitter' was useful enough that the Dreadnought could keep one as a redundancy for other purposes.

Quote Originally Posted by Poolshark
    I hate fed ships with three nacelles......actually, I dislike all fed ships with odd numbers of nacelles. They always look odd to me.
    It never really bugged me, except with the Dreadnought. Of course, I never bought into Roddenberry's 'rules' of starships anyway.

A lot of the lighter ships just use the one engine, but I think the problem with THEM though is that the ships don't look 'balanced' somehow. The Hermes, Nelson, and Saladin, for instance, look like they would fall over forward all the time.

Larson class Destroyer

Loknar Class Frigate