View Poll Results: Are Your City Prepared for Any Large Emergency?

Voters
9. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes. My city is fully prepared, since they updated the plan within the last 5 years.

1 11.11%
  • Yes. My city is fully prepared, without the need to update the plan.

3 33.33%
  • No. My city is not prepared. It is outdated but can be updated.

4 44.44%
  • No. My city is not prepared. It is outdated but cannot be updated.

1 11.11%

Thread: Are Your City Prepared?

Are Your City Prepared?

Today, our mayor of Honolulu opened the press conference admitted that the city disaster plan for responding any emergency -- be it hurricanes, winter floods, or North Korea's Kim Jong Il doing target practice with long-range missiles -- is outdated for 14 years, and are planning to overhaul the system in light of the Katrina Incident.

So, my question is: Are your city prepared for any emergency of large magnitude? Have they been updated in the last 5 years?
    Last edited by REG; 09-10-2005 at 02:41 AM.
    Anyhoo, just some random thoughts...

"My philosophy is 'you don't need me to tell you how to play -- I'll just provide some rules and ideas to use and get out of your way.'"
    -- Monte Cook

"Min/Maxing and munchkinism aren't problems with the game: they're problems with the players."
    -- excerpt from Guardians of Order's Role-Playing Game Manifesto

A GENERATION KIKAIDA fan

DISCLAIMER: I Am Not A Lawyer

You should have a tick box for "I have no idea" or "I live in an area not prone to massive natural disasters" because both of those apply to me
    Ta Muchly

Colorado Springs, 5 fully operational military bases with in spitting distance, the most importaint being The North American Aerospace Defense Command (or for you non-military folks Star Gate Command ). Even if the city falls on it's face, the local military will step in, as over half the town are military dependants (spouse's, children, etc.) the other half contracts or are retired. So YES this city is ready for darn near any thing.
    Phoenix...

"I'm not saying there should be capital punishment for stupidity,
    but maybe we should just remove all the safety lables and let nature take it's course"

"A Place For Everything & Nothing In It's Place"

I'm sure that just about everyone (and I mean everyone, Phoenix) should check the "I don't know." box.

I'm pretty sure the people of New Orleans were 'safe' in the knowledge that there were plans in place for their protection.

And, the military can't interviene in a civilian crisis with out order of the Prez., so unless they get the call, which apparently comes 3 days after the fact (zing!), the city of Colorado Springs is on its own.

And, as a personal annecdote to make you all feel safer, during the Y2K buildup, my mom was acting as her counties coordinator for her town. The opened the shiny binder that had both "Disaster Preparedness Plan" and "Open only in case of emergency." (yeah, she didn't listen to that one) Guess what?

It was Blank! Nothing written in the little spaces for who to call for what problem (blizzard, disruption of the power supply, flooding, mass rising of the dead)!

Sorry.

I couldn't edit the poll to include an "I don't know" choice.

IIRC, the local national guards are under the command of the state governors. I think the President have the authority to mobilize national guards from outside the affected state (as well as any military units) and enforce martial law. (Correct me if I'm wrong.)

"My philosophy is 'you don't need me to tell you how to play -- I'll just provide some rules and ideas to use and get out of your way.'"
    -- Monte Cook

"Min/Maxing and munchkinism aren't problems with the game: they're problems with the players."

A GENERATION KIKAIDA fan

Naval Base San Diego, MCRD San Diego, Naval Air Station North Island, Naval Base Point Loma, Naval Medical Center San Diego, MCAS Miramar, MCB Camp Pendelton.

I think we're ready. For if anything that Katrina showed us, the US Armed Forces, when finally called upon, can get the job done.

Yes. I have a map posted near the door with directions to the Bush ranch (only 30 miles out of town from me) so that any invaders or large scale natural disasters will know exactly where to go.
    Anyone who still uses Frames for a website should be shot.
    Does your sig area really need to be bigger then your post?

Quote Originally Posted by Tricky
    I'm sure that just about everyone (and I mean everyone, Phoenix) should check the "I don't know." box.
    Tricky, I know the plan because I'm part of the plan (look at the last poll, Colorado Search and Rescue, me part of that group, part of the plan), I have the contact numbers of who I need to call, and the two people above him (in case of Incapacitation). If all else, I have limited authority to deal with the surrounding area until instructions are handed down to me from higher up. However authority is nothing with out training, knowledge, tools, and a plan - I have those. So yes I think I may check the "YES" box as the emergency plan in my area is only 15 months off the presses, and due for revisement in 9 more months.

Also, the National Guard is under the command of the local Governor, not the President. And out of the 5 bases, three have Guard affiliated to them. But this is of no use if they are knocked out as well as civilian agencies. As far as trans-state Guard, I think that requires Excusive permission, with some extenuating details (Ok, I don't know that one, but as I'm not either of the people above).
    Phoenix...

"I'm not saying there should be capital punishment for stupidity,
    but maybe we should just remove all the safety lables and let nature take it's course"

"A Place For Everything & Nothing In It's Place"

Parked within 10 feet of 29 degrees, 57' N, 90 degrees, 8' W. Did I mention my new phone has GPS?
    Acting under the order of a state's governor, the National Guard fall under Title 32 WRT the Posse Comitatus Act. (IE:, they can be used for law enforcement duties, such as restoring order after a hurricane or what have you.) If the President uses active duty troops or federalizes the Guard & sends them in on his own say-so, they fall under Title 10 & cannot be used to restore order. (They can still plug levees & hand out MREs, or what have you) The problem comes in if Title 10 troops end up having to defend themselves against rioters or looters. Under Posse Comitatus, such an incident could result in jail time for the troops & officers involved.
    "If it ain't the Devil's music, you ain't doin' it right" -- Chris Thomas King

"C makes for an awfully long lever." - H. Beam Piper

Question

What if the national guards aren't available (i.e., currently assigned abroad)? Who can the state call for reinforcement to restore order?

-- Monte Cook

A GENERATION KIKAIDA fan

I stand corrected.

I have no idea. But if preparedness is run like the rest of the city government, I've got to channel Will Smith for a moment: "Aw, HELL no!"

I compensate by keeping a certain quantity of disaster supplies in my home (enough for a few days for the people who live here). I think that Katrina, and the response of government at every level, demonstrated that assuming your government can, or even wants to, help or protect you is probably not wise.

It's probably something every citizen should demand of their city, county, or other locality government: that the plan be at least examined and a determination made as to readiness.