Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Hurricane Rita

C5: Thanks for the Good Kharma. We've already evaced all the company employees out of the way and moved them to Northern states to wait the storm out
    A brave little theory, and actually quite coherent for a system of five or seven dimensions -- if only we lived in one.

Academician Prokhor Zakharov, "Now We Are Alone"

http://www.goes.noaa.gov/browse3.html

Latest visuals from GEOS sat
    A brave little theory, and actually quite coherent for a system of five or seven dimensions -- if only we lived in one.

Academician Prokhor Zakharov, "Now We Are Alone"

Quote Originally Posted by Space_Cadet
    Technically, i'm not in Houston.. i liive in Sugar Land. So i am not in the storm surge area thankfully. But yeah, we've taken precautions like food and persihables and filling the bathtub with water and all that. As well as mentally preparing for 10 hours of 90mph or less winds. All of the houses in my city are made of brick so we have a slight advantage of making it through. I am waiting around 1:00pm to see the trajectory of the hurricane. So far from what i've been hearing is that its heading eastward.
    Sugar Land's south west of Houston, right? So, the closer to Beaumont (current projection) the eye gets gets, the better off you are?

Good luck man.

Alex

Hang on tight, down there. We up here in snow country will be rooting for you.
    “In our every deliberation, we must consider the impact of our decisions on the next seven generations.”

-- Great Law of the Iroquois Confederacy

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Blake
    Sugar Land's south west of Houston, right? So, the closer to Beaumont (current projection) the eye gets gets, the better off you are?

Good luck man.

Alex
    Thanks!

Yep, its in the SW region of Houston. And yeah, its been predicted to go through Beaumont but then again anything can happen. Anyhow, from what i've been hearing on the news.. its better to be in home than out on the road like those unfortunate motorists.
    Star Trek Character Builder

Plasma Bolt!! Plasma Bolt!!

I wish all of you luck! Stay safe!
    We came in peace, for all mankind - Apollo 11

Just found out about this.

More levees fail in New Orleans; water pours in
    ‘Our worst fears came true,’ National Guardsman says
    NEW ORLEANS - Hurricane Rita’s wind-driven storm surge topped one of New Orleans’ battered levees Friday and poked holes in another, sending water gushing into already-devastated neighborhoods just days after they had been pumped dry.
    An initial surge of water cascaded over a patched levee protecting the impoverished Ninth Ward, flooding the abandoned neighborhood with at least 6 feet of water.
    “Our worst fears came true,” said Maj. Barry Guidry, a National Guardsman on duty at the broken levee.
    I pray you folks in Texas are doing better.
    Phoenix...

"I'm not saying there should be capital punishment for stupidity,
    but maybe we should just remove all the safety lables and let nature take it's course"

"A Place For Everything & Nothing In It's Place"

Yeah, poor NO is getting the whammy again

Galveston had some fire problems what with the winds fanning the flames, but at least they won't be levelled like back in 1900.
    - Daniel "A revolution without dancing is a revolution not worth having."

Parked within 10 feet of 29 degrees, 57' N, 90 degrees, 8' W. Did I mention my new phone has GPS?

Question

Anyone know where I can find a job someplace where "The Storm Of The Century(tm)" just means having a long weekend off from work? Not having "The Storm Of The Century(tm)" twice in three weeks would be a plus.
    "If it ain't the Devil's music, you ain't doin' it right" -- Chris Thomas King

"C makes for an awfully long lever." - H. Beam Piper

Quote Originally Posted by Cybrludite
    Anyone know where I can find a job someplace where "The Storm Of The Century(tm)" just means having a long weekend off from work? Not having "The Storm Of The Century(tm)" twice in three weeks would be a plus.
    Well what line of work are you in?
    Phoenix...

"I'm not saying there should be capital punishment for stupidity,
    but maybe we should just remove all the safety lables and let nature take it's course"

"A Place For Everything & Nothing In It's Place"

Desert Southwest?

Parked within 10 feet of 29 degrees, 57' N, 90 degrees, 8' W. Did I mention my new phone has GPS?
    Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix
    Well what line of work are you in?
    Professional computer geek, same sort of stuff as Bouncy.

Quote Originally Posted by black campbellq
    Desert Southwest?
    I've been applying out your way, actually. Mostly for jobs about 60 miles northeast of you, to be exact... (Assuming that you're still in Alba-Turkey, that is...)
    Last edited by Cybrludite; 09-25-2005 at 08:15 PM.

I've been applying out your way, actually. Mostly for jobs about 60 miles northeast of you, to be exact... (Assuming that you're still in Alba-Turkey, that is...)
    Not Santa Fe?

You should be able to find plenty of work out here. Between government and private sector stuff out here, there's a lot of tech work.

If you make your way out here for a job interview, let me know at srhymer@comcast.net . Maybe do lunch.
    Last edited by black campbellq; 09-26-2005 at 01:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by black campbellq
    Not Santa Fe?

You should be able to find plenty of work out here. Between government and private sector stuff out here, there's a lot of tech work.

If you make your way out here for a job interview, let me know at srhymer@comcast.net . Maybe do lunch.
    Will do. I know the cost of living & the number of annoying hippies are higher in Santa Fe, but I wouldn't need spellcheck every time I'd put my address in a form...