Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: CODA Starship Recognition Manual

CODA Starship Recognition Manual

Since I've been putting up my drawings in Utopia, I've got a few emails and PMs about making a 'Ship Recognition Guide' for one system or another, similar to what FASA had put out in the 1980s.

To save my poor little hands some typing, I'm going to reply here. No one take it as a slight.

Truth be told, I had always intended on making a 'gaming guide to Starships', but hadn't settled on a system. FASA had a special place in my heart, but it's construction system is both busted and so far off of 'canon' that it's nigh unusable - with an awful lot of sameness in ships, regardless of the different hulls and internals involved.

I had looked at Spacedock, but Steve Long's apparent hosility to TOS (at least in Spacedock itself) made the thing all but completely unusuable. Starships is better, but again very specific to TNG era, with TOS material mostly as afterthought...

This leaves me stuck. I know Sea Tyger has compiled a huge list of ship classes already for CODA, and that does seem logically the best way to go. I don't want to take his numbers and effort without properly crediting him, either.

Should CODA be my focus, then? And someone want to send me a copy of Starships while they're at it? ^_^

Ah! What I also wanted to do with ESO...

You might want to take a look at ESO (see my sig) for new rules concerning starship building; I hope you find there some useful content

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    Expanded Spacecraft Operations, a 100+ page sourcebook for CODA Trek

Quote Originally Posted by KillerWhale
    Ah! What I also wanted to do with ESO...

You might want to take a look at ESO (see my sig) for new rules concerning starship building; I hope you find there some useful content
    Got it, like it... but, I don't have Starships (again) yet. I'm hoping to get a copy this weekend, though, and work on getting the first 'volume' (I like to keep things limited to 36 page PDFs - makes things easier) as soon as I do.

It does look like I'll be using CODA. ^_^

For the record, I have done stats for the Franz Joseph designs, but never got the upgrades finished or converted them to Starships. You're more than welcome to use my stats if you like them; just mention my name.

If you want me to, I'll try to get them done up with Starships (and possibly ESO, once I take a look at it) and get refits done as well.
    Patrick Goodman -- Tilting at Windmills

"I dare you to do better." -- Captain Christopher Pike

Beyond the Final Frontier: CODA Star Trek RPG Support

Quote Originally Posted by PGoodman13
    For the record, I have done stats for the Franz Joseph designs, but never got the upgrades finished or converted them to Starships. You're more than welcome to use my stats if you like them; just mention my name.

If you want me to, I'll try to get them done up with Starships (and possibly ESO, once I take a look at it) and get refits done as well.
    I don't have a problem. I imagine my 'credits' page for each will be substantial. The only thing I ask is that the stats be consistant with the art. That's been a HUGE pet peeve of mine with FASA (and, to a lesser extent, Decipher). If the ship doesn't have the heavy launchers of the Connie refit, then they don't have them in the stat block!

RUE!

Also, Spacedock didn't handle rules for the number of nacelles, but I consider that a key concern If a ship has only one nacelle, particularly in the TOS/TMP era, then the overall ship has less power available. TNG uses seperate power plants, and is less of an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by TFVanguard
    Also, Spacedock didn't handle rules for the number of nacelles, but I consider that a key concern If a ship has only one nacelle, particularly in the TOS/TMP era, then the overall ship has less power available. TNG uses seperate power plants, and is less of an issue.
    Since when do warp nacelles have to do with power generation?
    Portfolio | Blog Currently Running: Call of Cthulhu, Star Trek GUMSHOE Currently Playing: DramaSystem, Swords & Wizardry

Quote Originally Posted by C. Huth
    Since when do warp nacelles have to do with power generation?
    Let's see, you mean explicitly?

Both pilots of TOS, several TOS episodes, TMP, TWOK, and TFF (though I'm willing to ignore the last one. )

The self-contained units are new as of TNG, though you could argue that the Excelsior had them too, per then-but-later-renamed Transwarp requirements.

As I said in private, I would be honoured to do the layout on such a beast If you will have me that is

The TOS warp nacelles had much more of the 'engine' in it than the post TOS era, though that is largelly the conjecture of fans, and the Franz Joseph book: However it has to be said that pre TMP no linear 'Warp core' was ever seen (and even then for some reason the intermix chamber was kept 20 foot away in another room ); you can conjecture that as either the lack of it or set malfunction / budgetary requirements, however to be honest I think all the 'engines' both warp and impulse were in the warp nacelle, which in a sort of way makes more sense for 'reverse'

If the Book is Coda, I can lend a hand with layout and proofing, though I guess the readers here, I am sure, will lend a hand
    Ta Muchly

Quote Originally Posted by Tobian
    The TOS warp nacelles had much more of the 'engine' in it than the post TOS era, though that is largelly the conjecture of fans, and the Franz Joseph book:
    Well, we do see the impulse engines seperate from the warp drive (I mean, it's on the model, for chrissakes!). We also have dialog that BOTH systems can provide power to the ship - or charge up the phaser banks, etc. So, in TOS, we get three levels of power supply. (Main - from the warp engines and all other sources. Auxillary - from impulse and batteries. Emergency - from batteries only).

Of course, it would help if Trek was consistant about these things... it's not. But this, for TOS-TUC era, seems to be the general rule. The warp engines, in the same era, do contain propulsion systems as well, making the impulse drive a secondary system used at sublight (and limited warp) speeds.

It should also be noted that, explicitly, the impulse drive in TOS can also get the ship to about warp two WITHOUT the warp engines. This would have to be the case in TWOK as well, but it's never stated.

If the Book is Coda, I can lend a hand with layout and proofing, though I guess the readers here, I am sure, will lend a hand
    I'll have a messy version of the guide up a little later today - with some basics on layout and design started. I'm wanting to get my VOL 1 ships all done (except for the two ships I'm skipping, the TOS Miranda and Cochise, since their backstories changed), and start organizing accordingly.

When that's done, I'll beg for feedback and help. ^_^

Quote Originally Posted by TFVanguard
    The only thing I ask is that the stats be consistant with the art. That's been a HUGE pet peeve of mine with FASA (and, to a lesser extent, Decipher). If the ship doesn't have the heavy launchers of the Connie refit, then they don't have them in the stat block!
    That shouldn't be a problem.
    You may or may not like my stats for the Franz Joseph ships, then; they're more consistent with the FJTM and my take on things. I also tried to make them consistent with the write-up for the Constitution class, though I had some problems with the Federation class since there wasn't a drive in the NG that provided warp 10 capability on the original warp scale (and, for the Federation, there's still not an appropriate warp drive in Starships, so I'm going to adapt a Klingon drive and create a new entry on the Federation warp drive chart.

I'll dig out Starships and start statting out the other Franz Joseph designs sometime this weekend. I should have stat blocks up for you soon.
    Patrick Goodman -- Tilting at Windmills

"I dare you to do better." -- Captain Christopher Pike

Beyond the Final Frontier: CODA Star Trek RPG Support

Quote Originally Posted by PGoodman13
    You may or may not like my stats for the Franz Joseph ships, then; they're more consistent with the FJTM and my take on things.
    I'll take a look at it after the next graphic I get done. I'll probably want to get a 'stat-block' table done today, at the very least - so I might as well use yours, right? ^_^

I also tried to make them consistent with the write-up for the Constitution class, though I had some problems with the Federation class since there wasn't a drive in the NG that provided warp 10 capability on the original warp scale (and, for the Federation, there's still not an appropriate warp drive in Starships, so I'm going to adapt a Klingon drive and create a new entry on the Federation warp drive chart.
    You know, for my mind, I wouldn't - at least not for the Federation class. To me, that may have been the design intention, but I can easily see that the triple-engine design may have STILL resulted in warp 6/8 rating - which may be the technological impetus to develop the LN-48 (Archenar, which would be the 8/10 rating) and the LN-64 (Connie Refit)

I never saw the Federation as designed to be a 'FAST' ship, third engine not withstanding.

So then you won't be needing my help then?

No worries, just an offer is all

Quote Originally Posted by AslanC
    So then you won't be needing my help then?

No worries, just an offer is all
    Didn't say that.. just meant I want to get the basics out of the way first.

Let me know if you need help then when you are ready