Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: CODA Starship Recognition Manual

Since I don't know how First of Two and possibly others got their hands on your draft, I have to ask. How large are the images in the pdf? What primarilly interests me is the final DPI score. Are you optimizing the ebook for printing or reading on a computer?
    “Worried? I’m scared to death. But I’ll be damned if I’m going to let them change the way I live my life.” - Joseph Sisko - Paradise Lost

Quote Originally Posted by Ergi
    Since I don't know how First of Two and possibly others got their hands on your draft
    I have a wide variety of superpowers.

Also, TFVanguard linked to his library files a while back in another thread, and the stuff he made was so good I bookmarked the page.
    "It's hard being an evil genius when everybody else is so stupid" -- Quantum Crook

For ease of reference, the file in question can be found here: TFVanguard's Living Fleet Manual.

Good stuff all around.
    Patrick Goodman -- Tilting at Windmills

"I dare you to do better." -- Captain Christopher Pike

Beyond the Final Frontier: CODA Star Trek RPG Support

Quote Originally Posted by PGoodman13
    For ease of reference, the file in question can be found here: TFVanguard's Living Fleet Manual.

Good stuff all around.
    Thanks!
    “Worried? I’m scared to death. But I’ll be damned if I’m going to let them change the way I live my life.” - Joseph Sisko - Paradise Lost

Okay, I won't bother reposting the link, but there's a new version up with quite a few more write-ups, as well as the new art...

More comments, dang it all!

Wow, man, I haden't even gotten done geeking out about the LAST version.

I gotta stop printing them out for a while, though... boss is getting suspicious about the sudden shortage of printer paper.

(Gotta get a double-sided printer!)

First of Two
    "It's hard being an evil genius when everybody else is so stupid" -- Quantum Crook

Okay, just a head's up.

I've split off some of the ships to make a mini-volume (to spare poor people to cost of constant printing). The first volume is 40 pages, and has a swath of TOS ships from various sources.

I need to write up the three ships and an introduction, basically, and that set will be done. I'm hoping to either get it done tonight or tommorow morning.

Almost there!

Seriously, this bit is the last bit I need ironed out:

FASA Notes
    Though several of the ships appearing in this guide are originally from FASA’s Starship Tactical Combat Simulator, the numbers and specifics are wildly different, reflecting both a stricter adherence to ‘canon’ references, as well as a more ‘modern’ focus on starship capabilities. None of the ships, as listed, will match the specifications given within FASA’s guides.

That said, they’re still playable when broken down to their key components. Specific numbers will be different than FASA, of course, and a ships’ performance may play quite as expected, but the combat rules will still work.

Phasers: The standard Class IX phaser in this guide replaces a swath of phasers found in the FASA guide. The ‘exact’ match of the Class IX is FASA’s FH-3 type phaser bank.

Photon Torpedoes: The MK-IV launcher referenced heavily in this guide roughly corresponds to the FP-5 listed in FASA’s.

Shields: The standard shield grid in this guide is the PFF 2a. This most closely translates to the FSO type shield from FASA’s rules.

Warp Drive: The PB-32 ‘standard’ warp drive used in this manual covers a large swath of systems from the FASA manuals. The closest match, performance-wise, to the PB-32 would be the FWF-1 engine.

The PB-32S, for its part, most closely matches the FWC-2 in performance.

Impulse Drive: The IPI86E commonly referring to in this guide most closely matches the FIE-2 found on the Constitution class from the Federation Starship Recognition Manual.
    That's it. Should I keep the 'rough FASA conversion' information (as in, which component matches to which), or should I just ditch this section for now?

Otherwise, guide #1 is done.

Starfleet #1 is done and out. Woot! (Aside from errors to be fixed in its 'living guide' state, natch).

For now I'll be throwing stuff into the big book until it's all sorted for Starfleet #2. There's still a mess of things out there. I was thinking of making #2 into the 'transport/tug' volume, primarily, with some notes on using them in game, as well as ships with related functions (such as the Solumnus and Consolation).

I would like to detail/write-up the 'pods' that are in use in this era. I've got:

Products (Finished Goods)
    Refeer (Refrigerated Goods)
    Liquids (Water, oil, Romulan Ale)
    Dry Bulk (Grains, ore, etc)
    Starliner
    Colony Pod
    Mobile Repair (portable space dock)
    Marine Transport
    Shuttle Carrier
    Deutronium Fuel Carrier
    Battle Pod (Phasers, torp launcher)
    Field Starbase Component Pod

If anyone has any thoughts on these, please let me know!

I was looking over at the PDF document and I was wondering: how come most if not all of the ships' classes and names are from Earth? Aren't those supposed to be Federation ships? Where are the Vulcan/Andorian/Tellarite,etc names?
    "No captain kicked ass, took names, outsmarted the machines, and then scored the babes like the Kirkmeister" -Liquidator Queeg

Quote Originally Posted by Snake_Plissken
    I was looking over at the PDF document and I was wondering: how come most if not all of the ships' classes and names are from Earth? Aren't those supposed to be Federation ships? Where are the Vulcan/Andorian/Tellarite,etc names?
    Do you remember any (okay, let's say two ) ships from TOS with names that have nothing to do with Earth? As Azetbur said in The Undiscovered Country, the Federation was (for the largest part) a Homo Sapiens-only club in those days.
    What bothers me more is that this wasn't changed in the later series, when the percentage of aliens noticeably increased.

Quote Originally Posted by Snake_Plissken
    Actually, I had something where , during Kirk's time, the UESPA officially became Starfleet. So the ship names, structure, etc, were all taken from the UESPA, even if crews were not.

Makes more sense in Kirk's time, since Starfleet IS humano-centric, and most non-Terran fleets within the Federation are for planetary-defense. Earth, building up its fleet again after the Romulan and Klingon wars, fell into the role as 'peacekeeprs of the Federation' around Pike and Kirk's time.

Hell, at that time, Vulcan (and others) were HOSTILE to the needs of the Federation fleet, with Earth being its primary backer.

By TNG, the naval traditions should have varied a bit more than they did, at least certainly more integrated given the PC-ness of that universe. But, if they 'stuck to tradition', then ship names likely kept up the old British and American traditions.

I do break away from that somewhat where I can, but it's a pain. There's almost no canon references to alien ship names (other than Klingon, and some scant Romulan and Vulcan references), very little official sources, and almost no 'fandom' references to go by.