Thread: CODA Starship Combat using FASA Characters

CODA Starship Combat using FASA Characters

Hi I'm trying something new with my gaming group.We've always had a problem with FASA's starship combat rules.Never thought it "recreated"the feel of the series/movies very well.What I am need to figure out is using CODA's Starship design & combat system,what /how would modifiers for players change using FASA character's / Skills.(TN vs % , and the +/- from the helm/Command/etc. on the ships) I have a tendancy to underestimate modifers when I try to do conversions.Thanks in advance for any & all help.

I'm not a big CODA player myself, but I did put together an alternate starship combat system for FASA at my Yahoo! group. It's still a draft, but, maybe it can help you sort out some things. And if you do, please let me in on it, because i fizzled out all my creative juices!!

Joe

The biggest problem I found with the FASA combat rules was the shields. I got around that by sort of combining it with the system of starfleet battles. For many ships, a single phaser bank can take down their shields. Just too weak. I took the normal value of the shields and made them reinforcement. I also added in base shields which are brought up for one point (no base shields, no reinforment possible) which surrounded the ship with shielding. This was more consistent with overall protection of a ship and what we saw in episodes. The base shields could be figured by taking the half the reciprocal of the shield ratio and multiplying it by the maximum the shields could be raised to. An example is Enterprise Class with a 1/4 shield ratio and a maximum value of 16. It would have 32 base shields and could still reinforce each shield up to 16. Damaged shields stay damaged, but could be repaired by allocating one power point to fix one damaged shield box.
    I also changed the damage charts to reflect a d100 roll instead of a d10, which would lessen the chance of a catostrophic hit. I once had a battle where an Enterprise took out a Nova with two photons. The first broke down the shields and the 2nd took out 20 superstructure with 5X casualties (100%).
    The other problem with the system was movement was too expensive. It never made sense to move more than three so that you could turn a new shield face to the enemy each phase or bring new weapons to bear.
    Last edited by whoman69; 02-11-2006 at 01:56 PM.