Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Decipher Trek RPG announcement?

It's been dead for years, Neale; I don't have any illusions that this is anything other than Decipher trying to get some cash flow out of the remaining products that they've got lined up without ever having to do anything more. No illusions at all.

I'd like to think I'm wrong, but I know I'm not.
    Patrick Goodman -- Tilting at Windmills

"I dare you to do better." -- Captain Christopher Pike

Beyond the Final Frontier: CODA Star Trek RPG Support

Quote Originally Posted by PGoodman13
    It's been dead for years, Neale; I don't have any illusions that this is anything other than Decipher trying to get some cash flow out of the remaining products that they've got lined up without ever having to do anything more. No illusions at all.
    I know that it's been effectively dead for some time. I was just kinda hoping that Decipher would do SOMETHING for it - even if just to open up an OGL SRD or something...

Quote Originally Posted by TFVanguard
    I know that it's been effectively dead for some time. I was just kinda hoping that Decipher would do SOMETHING for it - even if just to open up an OGL SRD or something...
    I did make one, unofficial though it is, but there is a CODA Basic System Reference available (see top link in sig)
    Former Editor, The Hall of Fire, Beyond the Final Frontier
    http://www.geocities.com/gandalfofborg25/index.html

Quote Originally Posted by GandalfOfBorg
    I did make one, unofficial though it is, but there is a CODA Basic System Reference available (see top link in sig)
    Let me wrap up the next version of the Recognition Manual ( I want to get the FASA basic four done ), then I'll take a huge stab through the SRD. I've been wanting to convert my 'Pulp Heros' game to something.. and d20 just wasn't appealing.

Quote Originally Posted by TFVanguard
    That won't happen simply because no one at Decipher is a RPG developer; I'm willing to bet no one there knows what an OGL SRD even is.

As far as I know, there have been zero RPG developers working for Decipher for 2+ years. That means all the documents they're planning to release have been untouched by developers in that span of time.

So, for example, the Enterprise sourcebook they release will be missing the last 2 years worth of info, if not more, simply because there is no one at Decipher able to create new content for the game.

I fully expect Decipher to release these products, take the proceeds, and sit on the license so that no other company can have it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ineti
    I fully expect Decipher to release these products, take the proceeds, and sit on the license so that no other company can have it.
    Well, to be fair, right now - no company that can AFFORD the rediculous fees that Paramount demands actually WANTS the Star Trek license. :S

...Borderline Over? it's been that for some time Still it plays well and it works

The things which Ineti mentions worry me... what exactly is the state of these products? Yes Worlds was scheduled to go to press not long before it went all horribly wrong, but that doesn't mean it's not full of typo's and errors still. And the others will be equally less complete?! Are they paying someone to finish them or are we going to have to pay for half finished, half baked rubish?

the fact they won't print them tells me they aren't because they'd look bad.

PS: On a related note.. what sort of DPI do those type of netbooks come out as? I am thinking maybe rather than commission artists to finish or even make artwork for the books, they are just going to use a bunch of screen-resolution grabs and scans from then net... Hmmmm
    Ta Muchly

Quote Originally Posted by Tobian
    Yes Worlds was scheduled to go to press not long before it went all horribly wrong, but that doesn't mean it's not full of typo's and errors still.
    So the book's quality will be on par with the PG's (sorry, couldn't resist).

This announcement sounds to me like "ok, we're flushing what was left of the Trek RPG, now grab it and don't bother us you nerds, we have interesting CCGs to release".

Mind you, the Worlds book was all that I was missing, and not that much. Between GandalfOfBorg's BSR, KillerWhalle's ESO and another work I can't seem to remember right now , I'm quite happy with the CODA RPG as it is
    "The main difference between Trekkies and Manchester United fans is that Trekkies never trashed a train carriage. So why are the Trekkies the social outcasts?"
    Terry Pratchett

Hello everyone, my first post here.

As a Star Trek gamemaster (running a LUGTrek campaign, leaning toward CODA more and more) I can't really say I am happy with such news.

On one hand, I could say "at least, I get something"
    On the other hand, I am unsure about the final quality of the products (be it proofreading, organization, content, images, layout...), when I can get a rough idea about this when handling the book in a store.

There is one last technical issue in my case : I don't have a printer.
    So I am forced to rely on the goodwill of friends or use the printer at work.

Pierre

[By the way, many thanks to everyone on trek-rpg.net. My first post but I've read a lot here since months getting infos, ideas, comments, etc...
    Special thanks to BFF, ESO and starbase-coda contributors]
    Last edited by kridenow; 10-06-2005 at 04:49 AM.

Hmm I'm thinking of how much paper and ink the ESO used up.. That's allot of good will!

Welcome to the boards, and I hope you enjoy your stay!
    Ta Muchly

*sigh!*

I just noticed something...

In just a couple weeks new titles for each game will be available. The line of The Lord of the Rings e-books will launch with Paths of the Wise. After the initial launch you can look forward to new titles such as Magicians & Loremasters, Isengard, and Barbarians & Warriors.

The Star Trek line will kick off its series of releases with Worlds. You can then look forward to titles such as Mirror Universe, Peacekeepers, Klingons, and Enterprise.
    Not only could they not be bothered to look up the actual planned titles of the books, but they also didn't even realize that "Paths of the Wise" is the Magicians & Loremasters book...

And you know, I'm not even angry. Not even disappointed really. Just, just... *sigh*
    Former Decipher RPG Net Rep

"Doug, at the keyboard, his fingers bleeding" (with thanks to Moriarti)

In D&D3E, Abyssal is not the language of evil vacuum cleaners.

Get me up to speed here please, what exactly does this mean: That one like me living in Europe will have to pay via credit card or paypal to get what? A download right or a CD-ROM? What exactly is an e-book?

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Burke
    Not only could they not be bothered to look up the actual planned titles of the books, but they also didn't even realize that "Paths of the Wise" is the Magicians & Loremasters book...
    This surprises me as much as it surprises anybody, but I'm going to come to Scott Gaeta's defense here. In a message on the Decipher LOTR RPG forum, he came on and said, essentially, "Oops, my mistake; I should have said Rogues & Minstrels but was typing too hastily."
    Patrick Goodman -- Tilting at Windmills

"I dare you to do better." -- Captain Christopher Pike

Beyond the Final Frontier: CODA Star Trek RPG Support

Quote Originally Posted by PGoodman13
    This surprises me as much as it surprises anybody, but I'm going to come to Scott Gaeta's defense here. In a message on the Decipher LOTR RPG forum, he came on and said, essentially, "Oops, my mistake; I should have said Rogues & Minstrels but was typing too hastily."
    That may excuse the redundnacy, but not the fact that he didn't use "Feilds of Battle" for "Warriors & Barbarians" or "Through a Glass Darkly" (or whatever they decided to use) fro "Mirror Universe". I mean, he has access to the files already, how mcuh longer would it take?

Mind you, I actually like Scott. He can be a very nice guy. Just... Yeah...
    Former Decipher RPG Net Rep

"Doug, at the keyboard, his fingers bleeding" (with thanks to Moriarti)

In D&D3E, Abyssal is not the language of evil vacuum cleaners.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Burke
    That may excuse the redundnacy, but not the fact that he didn't use "Feilds of Battle" for "Warriors & Barbarians" or "Through a Glass Darkly" (or whatever they decided to use) fro "Mirror Universe". I mean, he has access to the files already, how mcuh longer would it take?
    You need a sharper razor to split that hair.