Thread: Starship edges

Starship edges

Hey all great site!

I was wondering if there was a way for someone to hook me up with a rundown of the starship edges and flaws from the Starships book, i have the ESO but can't get the Starships book for now unless someone is feeling charitable

let me know if anyone can help out! Thanks all.

Or at least the following:

Spiral-wave upgrade

Monotanium plating

Prototype

Thanks anyone who can help me out! I should be able to get the Starships book in December...

I highly recomend you do get it, it's a good book: and welcome to the boards oh wise one

I shouldn't really reporduce the copywrited material, but to giv eyou a quick rundown, in a PM..
    Ta Muchly

A list of the ESO traits shouldn't be a big deal.

Anyway, I had a suggestion to add for a 'flaw', which I used already on the 'Mustang' - 'limited ammunition' weapons. By this, I mean something like ordinance, like the missiles on a fighter-jet, or something with decidedly low stock.

I like that idea too, makes good sense that the ships don't have an unlimited number of torps / missiles.

How does the limited ammo flaw work?

Quote Originally Posted by Wiseman
    I like that idea too, makes good sense that the ships don't have an unlimited number of torps / missiles.

How does the limited ammo flaw work?
    I basically treated each launcher as a 'one shot' weapon, and added 5 space back for the pair accordingly. There's probably a more elegant solution to this, but it seemed to make sense at the time.

There definatelly does need to be a way to work out how many torpedo's a ship has, and it's a big flaw in Coda!

I thought up my own flaw for such a system which is basically: Limited missiles: a ship has only as many missiles as it's size X 2.. then it could afford to put in a missile launcher, but only get a couple of shots out (there was a Runabout Module which could do this, with full sized quantum torpedo's but only a few shots, rather than the rather silly micro torpedo's only 18cm long
    Ta Muchly

Quote Originally Posted by Tobian
    There definatelly does need to be a way to work out how many torpedo's a ship has, and it's a big flaw in Coda!
    Actually, in this case, it wasn't a flaw, it was a conscious design choice. ("It's not a bug, it's a feature!")

Seriously. On the shows/in the movies the two things you never saw the crews worrying about (even on Voyager, when they really should have) were torpedo inventory or power allocation. Unless it had a story point (as in Star Trek VI) or the occasional "switch to auxiliary power" line.
    Former Decipher RPG Net Rep

"Doug, at the keyboard, his fingers bleeding" (with thanks to Moriarti)

In D&D3E, Abyssal is not the language of evil vacuum cleaners.

Hmm you say potayto I say potahto

Yes Voyager was not the most consistent show, but running out of torpedo's did come up and on startrek 6, there was i can recall an inventory, so while yes I do agree Coda is more cinematic it should still have been a feature!
    Ta Muchly

Well, if you look at the inventory in TUC, you see that the Enterprise has effectively a LOT more torpedoes on board than an encounter would normally require. A fighter, though, would be more limited, often having only enough heavy weapons aboard for its mission.

I agree with Vanguard. The only time I'd worry about missile weapon inventory is, if rules ever came up for this, fleet combat for battles that lasted many minutes to hours like in the Dominion War. Besides in typical starship combat and especially fleet battles as seen in the shows, the range was VERY close, similar to naval combat up until mid- to late-20th Century. During these, they used phasers more than torpedoes because at very close ranges, the attacking ship would be in danger of taking damage too from the exploding missile.
    Former Editor, The Hall of Fire, Beyond the Final Frontier
    http://www.geocities.com/gandalfofborg25/index.html

In the game I am currently running, which is in fact set during the Dominion War, I used a bit of math to calculate the number of torpedos carried in the inventory, I'll try to express it here and you guys can tell me if it makes sense.

2 Quantum torp tubes

Assume average battle able to fire 6 salvos in 1-on-1 engagement. I came across this number by figuring that an average ship battle would last 10 rounds (that may be high I'm not sure) and a ship would only be able to fire every other round (reloading) plus the fact that the ship arrived with the tubes loaded.

6 * 2 = 12 torpedos / engagement (Where 2 is the number of tubes)
    12 * 6 = 72 (Where 6 = the number of engagements before the average ship is able to arrive at a Starbase and rearm)
    72 + 28 = 100 to account for an assumed prolonged period away from any rearmament facilities.

That figures to be 50 torps / torpedo tube.

The real question to me is whether or not the Hardware Replicator(s) aboard a ship would be able to replicate a torpedo? I find that unlikely.