Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Starfleet Acadamy the only way?

FYI, there were other presidios in Spanish-owned California, not just in S.F. and Monterey. I understand that wherever the Spanish built a fort in CA, it was called a presidio. I've visited the one in S.F. & have visited a former presidio in San Diego which is now a museum.

RE: the Academy. My personal opinion is that there's only one Starfleet Academy in the Federation (in S.F.) where most Starfleet cadets go to become officers. Enlisted go through a different process. However, I think there's also a Starfleet Medical Academy. I don't believe going through the Academy is the only way to become an officer, but it's the method by which most Starfleet officers become officers.

"Haven't had this conversation before" J. Seinfeld

Seriously though; last time we went through this, I reached the conclusions:
    1) There are more than one SF Academy (concluded by: the population of member worlds, size of the San Fran. 'campus'...accomedations alone would be a nightmare, let alone class sizes...say, what's that building over in Paris France for anyways )

2) ROTCs ARE possible (BCIT, CalTech, MIT, and so forth [as Earth examples] would be able to turn out fantastic engineers. And they and other colleges and universities would be able to turn out science officers, medical officers, security officers, and so on; the student would have to take an ROTC in order to be an officer however. And there's probably a 'GI Bill' equivalent out there somewhere as well...say, minus the ROTC, 'GI Bill' grads could/would be the equivalent to enlisted, and would be placed/played as such...hmmm).

Now; to add this, for the variant to the old question:
    3) Advancement of an enlisted person: two methods spring to mind:
    a) Field Promotion: The individual is raised in rank and authority by a ranking officer, as means to better command of the rest of the troops and control the situation. This is usually occurs during times of war/battle, sometime not. It's also usually temporary, sometime not.
    b) Traditional promotion: Through a combination of: good, hard work and diligent study, and enlisted person can rise to an officer rank, with all rights and privileges thereof. This is of course, a slow route, but (IMO) has the advantage of not going to the Academy (SF ships/stations/base have all the training equipment and facilities to do the training [Holodecks, LCARS computers, and other equipment]), but can contact SFA for clairification/explanation/assistance to any problems that occure during training onboard (sort of like what US does for the crew on submarines).
    ...and that's about the time it hit the fan...

Truisms I know:
    1) Marvel is NOT better than DC (nor should EVERYTHING be ‘ULTIMITED’),
    2) D20 is NOT the best gaming system out there (nor should EVERYTHING be ‘crammed’ into it),
    3) And No matter how ‘THEY’ dress it up, Regardless of how ‘THEY’ title it, and even if ‘THEY’ say “BASED ON…”; “ENTERPRISE” IS NOT STAR TREK!!!
    4) 'Reality' T.V. ain't 'Real'