Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Fun with Greyscale II

USS Manhattan Class Automated Transport/Tug

USS Consolation Class Hospital Ship

(And, yes, the model-maker for this one DID take a medical pod and strap a saucer and engines onto it...)

Quote Originally Posted by TFVanguard
    USS Consolation Class Hospital Ship

(And, yes, the model-maker for this one DID take a medical pod and strap a saucer and engines onto it...)
    Which makes one wonder, since there are about 15 different tug/pod transports why combining one with a medical pod into a dedicated medical ship would be strictly necessary.

Reinventing the wheel, as it were.

It's a well done model, nice job on that.

Alex

USS Daedalus Class Cruiser

Nothing special here, just the 'canon' version of the Daedalus, which I'm putting down as a 'cheap, quickly-built cruiser built for the Romulan war'. I did enlarge her from 105 to 150 meters, just to make some SENSE of the deck listings, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Blake
    Which makes one wonder, since there are about 15 different tug/pod transports why combining one with a medical pod into a dedicated medical ship would be strictly necessary.
    For the backstory, I had this be an 'emergency replacement' design, fufilling an urgent and underestimated need in the star-fleet (how many times did Kirk have to send vital supplies somewhere?!). I figured that they would only 'bash' a few of these ships out in a pinch, with the first true dedicated Medical Frigates coming out with 2271 technology a decade later.

For the backstory, I had this be an 'emergency replacement' design, fufilling an urgent and underestimated need in the star-fleet (how many times did Kirk have to send vital supplies somewhere?!). I figured that they would only 'bash' a few of these ships out in a pinch, with the first true dedicated Medical Frigates coming out with 2271 technology a decade later.
    Neat. That's probably one of the best parts of this, how you attempt to make a hodgepodge of random designs all fit together.

Kudos.

Alex

This is the 'other' FASA ship that I really wanted to avoid doing. Like the Aaken, I found it really hard to reconsile the lines with a TOS-era ship (despite the thrown on FWF engine) , and, of course, the lines on the three views didn't match up. This time, I went with the 'port view bias' to redraw the ship. Overall, it came out pretty good, but the top view looks positively barge-like.

Which doesn't bother me, since it IS a colony ship.

Honestly I wouldn't of tapered the main hull of the Cochrane.

Also, error with the top view vs. the side view:
    Bridge dome on the side is round with the air-lock, top view looks like it's continuing to the end of the...deck 2-3 extention.

Hate to keep doing this to you.
    Phoenix...

"I'm not saying there should be capital punishment for stupidity,
    but maybe we should just remove all the safety lables and let nature take it's course"

"A Place For Everything & Nothing In It's Place"

Out of curiousity, do you happen to have the SFB War Destroyer done up in greyscale, TFVanguard? I noticed you mentioned it on the mailing list, but I don't think I've seen it on these boards. If you did, I must have missed it.

USS Arcus Class Heavy Destroyer

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix
    Hate to keep doing this to you.
    Don't worry about it. The good thing about 'online publishing' and netbooks is that these mistakes can be caught and fixed very easily, right?

This is the Cochrane as per FASA.

I am curious as to your changes and why?

Not that I don't like you image, it is different enough that I am curious

Quote Originally Posted by AslanC
    This is the Cochrane as per FASA.

I am curious as to your changes and why?

Not that I don't like you image, it is different enough that I am curious

Basic summations...

1) No deflector dish on a Federation TOS ship.

2) No impulse drive.

3) Lines look too 'movie-era' or 'TNG-era' and don't fit any other TOS asthetic.

4) Lines in the three views don't entirely match up.

5) Scale of components shot incredibly wrong.

6) Statistics and abilities given in the description text do not remotely match the ship shown.

Basic summations...

1) No deflector dish on a Federation TOS ship.
    Well you already know my feelings on those, no need to elaborate.

2) No impulse drive.
    What does a TOS ID look like?

3) Lines look too 'movie-era' or 'TNG-era' and don't fit any other TOS asthetic.
    I dunno... it looked fine to me... like a bridge between TOS and Movie Gen.

4) Lines in the three views don't entirely match up.
    Most of the Fasa ones don't.

5) Scale of components shot incredibly wrong.
    Beyond me so I will trust you on this one.

6) Statistics and abilities given in the description text do not remotely match the ship shown.
    Explain further please... I am not sure I follow what you are getting at here.

Quote Originally Posted by AslanC
    Well you already know my feelings on those, no need to elaborate.
    That was a minor change, though. You just need someplace to put one!

What does a TOS ID look like?
    It helps if there's one THERE. Basically, though, the section on the back of the Connie, Sherman, or Surya is a good start.

I dunno... it looked fine to me... like a bridge between TOS and Movie Gen.
    Again, it shouldn't. It's supposed to be OLD in Kirk's time. The ship's lines would mesh a lot more with an LN-72 on it than the PB-32 system. (The Aaken also suffers from this).

Explain further please... I am not sure I follow what you are getting at here.
    FASA's really bad about this, depending on the ship. Phasers and torp launchers are a common problem (two banks listed on this ship, none shown). The number of shuttle-bays are off. The listed measurements are completely off, etc, etc...