Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Fun with Greyscale II

USS Lotus Flower Class Fuel Transport

FASA 'purists' are going to hate me for this one. I started off with FASA's Lotus Flower class, then started to make it a more TOS ship (Kirk DID save the thing as a CADET after all) ... and wound up going my own way with it. I'm thinking that FASA's Lotus Flower (seen in canon in TNG) would be a later movie-era ship and NOT the class that would contain the Kobayashi Maru. :S

It also gives me ideas for touching up the Cochrane and Aaken...

I did feel the need to retouch the Cochrane, though. The top view wasn't quite what I wanted. I decided to just revamp the top lines completely and go from there. I'm much happier with the result, and it has a slightly more consistant feel with the rest of the ships of the era.

Okay, decided to take a stab at one of Steve Long's ships, the Hellespont, instead of just reusing the name. The sizes are off (Spacedock is miserable at TOS for these things), but I kept the look based on the ship's description...

Quote Originally Posted by TFVanguard
    USS Lotus Flower Class Fuel Transport

FASA 'purists' are going to hate me for this one. I started off with FASA's Lotus Flower class, then started to make it a more TOS ship (Kirk DID save the thing as a CADET after all) ... and wound up going my own way with it. I'm thinking that FASA's Lotus Flower (seen in canon in TNG) would be a later movie-era ship and NOT the class that would contain the Kobayashi Maru. :S

It also gives me ideas for touching up the Cochrane and Aaken...
    While I'm not a 'purists', as you call them, I don't think that's the Lotus Flower. Yes the design is of the proper era and a Federation ship, but it's not a Starfleet ship. look to canon/cannon (yeah whatever) designs of the Type-Y and other transports from ENT long, skinny, nothing at all like Earth's Star Fleet (flat and round).

BTW, I like the new version of the Cochrane.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Phoenix...

"I'm not saying there should be capital punishment for stupidity,
    but maybe we should just remove all the safety lables and let nature take it's course"

"A Place For Everything & Nothing In It's Place"

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix
    While I'm not a 'purists', as you call them, I don't think that's the Lotus Flower. Yes the design is of the proper era and a Federation ship, but it's not a Starfleet ship. look to canon/cannon (yeah whatever) designs of the Type-Y and other transports from ENT long, skinny, nothing at all like Earth's Star Fleet (flat and round)
    Not really. We've only seen a few (the Bontany Bay model, then the two decidedly boxy ships from TAS). And, besides, this version actually matches the dimension shown on screen. FASA's doesn't. ^_^

And, besides, this version actually matches the dimension shown on screen. FASA's doesn't. ^_^
    Huh? What dimensions would that be? Now that you have peaked my interest.
    Phoenix...

"I'm not saying there should be capital punishment for stupidity,
    but maybe we should just remove all the safety lables and let nature take it's course"

"A Place For Everything & Nothing In It's Place"

Dimensions of the Kobayashi Maru were shown on screen during the test at the strt of TWOK.

So, if (and it is an if) the KM is a member of the Lotus Flower class then the design as given by FASA is wrong.

I'd keep the FASA design as the LF class and make TFVanguard's design another class, and assign the KM to that class. Seems like the best compromise.
    "And all I ask is a tall ship, and a star to steer her by."
    "Though a cloaking device, pulsed phaser cannons
    and a full load of quantum torpedoes would be quite nice too."

USS Ashanti Class Frigate

From Steve Long's 'Ships of the Original Series Era'. The measurements are, of course, off. (Steve couldn't be arsed to do any CHECKING, I guess), but the ship is as close to what I could get with what he ponied up.

Thumbs up

From Steve Long's 'Ships of the Original Series Era'. The measurements are, of course, off. (Steve couldn't be arsed to do any CHECKING, I guess), but the ship is as close to what I could get with what he ponied up.
    Really nice, but with all due respect, bashing people who are investing a lot of their time into free netbooks just because of some minor (obviously we disagree on this point) inaccuracies isn't a good idea. I can understand your frustration nontheless, doing drawings based on wrong, or even worse, several sets of conflicting figures, is annoying.
    “Worried? I’m scared to death. But I’ll be damned if I’m going to let them change the way I live my life.” - Joseph Sisko - Paradise Lost

Quote Originally Posted by Ergi
    Really nice, but with all due respect, bashing people who are investing a lot of their time into free netbooks just because of some minor (obviously we disagree on this point) inaccuracies isn't a good idea. I can understand your frustration nontheless, doing drawings based on wrong, or even worse, several sets of conflicting figures, is annoying.
    Actually, with Steve's stuff, it's more a frustration that it's quickly apparent that he really really hates the original series era. The guides for TNG-VOY were meticulous and accurate. But, in TOS, everything's just plain wrong - even the Enterprise herself.

Since it's a netbook, I just have to wonder why Steve didn't just ask a TOS fan to do the write-ups for Spacedock instead? Guess it doesn't really matter these days, though...

Quote Originally Posted by Identity Crisis
    I'd keep the FASA design as the LF class and make TFVanguard's design another class, and assign the KM to that class. Seems like the best compromise.
    Actually, if you strip off the LN-64 warp engine from FASA's design (and its pylon), you've got a really nice Romulan or Klingon Frieghter from the TMP era. I'm really considering going that route with it, but once there's a consensus.

I'm not necessarily a FASA purist, by any stretch of the imagination, but I have to agree with someone that this is not, by any stretch of the imagination, a Lotus Flower-class ship. It's a nice TOS-era freighter, and I'll probably use it, but it's not a Lotus Flower.

As for the Kobayashi Maru, I'm of the opinion that the class of that ship changes on occasion; it's a non-existent ship, after all, and it probably changes from time to time to reflect the era that the test is given in. My objection to this ship as the Kobayashi Maru is that it seemed fairly clear from context in ST2:TWOK that she was a civilian vessel, and this is clearly a Star Fleet design.
    Patrick Goodman -- Tilting at Windmills

"I dare you to do better." -- Captain Christopher Pike

Beyond the Final Frontier: CODA Star Trek RPG Support

I, uh, have some issues with his ship designs in general. They're just... not pretty.
    Portfolio | Blog Currently Running: Call of Cthulhu, Star Trek GUMSHOE Currently Playing: DramaSystem, Swords & Wizardry

USS Taurus Class Cruiser

This is the last of Steve Long's original TOS-era designs (not including the pre-TOS or 'alien' ship designs). I've redone this ship a bagillion times, and never found a version I was happy with that came close to his specs and description. I finally settled on this, which keeps the TOS look but... isn't pretty, I'll admit. Ah well, I'm finally letting this one go now.

Hey TFV... have you seen the "Ships of the Line" 2006 calendar?

I ask because there's one bit of artwork in there of a previously-unseen TOS-Era ship at the "Starfleet Proving Grounds."

There's no dimensions, or anything, just one oblique view, but on the off chance you'd be interested in it for this project, I thought I'd mention it.

I might be aple to scan a pic and link to it later. It might even be a "prettier" Taurus alternative... depending on whether the saucer is supposed to blend into the secondary or not.
    "It's hard being an evil genius when everybody else is so stupid" -- Quantum Crook