Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Fun with Greyscale II

Fun with Greyscale II

(Started new thread, since old one is very.. very long)

USS Cochise Class Torpedo Destroyer

I am in a PBEM on the USS Constitution. I was wandering if we could pinch, err.... borrow your greyscale of her?
    Nope. Feel free, that's what they're posted for, after all!

Now that's a sleek looking ship! Your doing wonderful work TFVanguard, keep it up.
    Phoenix...

"I'm not saying there should be capital punishment for stupidity,
    but maybe we should just remove all the safety lables and let nature take it's course"

"A Place For Everything & Nothing In It's Place"

USS Soyuz Class Patrol Frigate

USS Marco Polo Class

Sadly, there are ships you want to apologize for. This is one of them.. the USS Bakker from Marvel Comics.

Quote Originally Posted by TFVanguard
    (Started new thread, since old one is very.. very long)

USS Cochise Class Torpedo Destroyer
    Wow. Neat.

Alex

USS Marco Polo Class

Sadly, there are ships you want to apologize for. This is one of them.. the USS Bakker from Marvel Comics.
    not so neat.

Actually, it looks a little like an old toy my cousin had. It was an Enterprise you could take all the parts off and re-arrange. Take the Connie hull, bend the nacelles down rather than up, stick something on the back end to make it go up.

Hmmm.

Alex

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Blake
    Actually, it looks a little like an old toy my cousin had.
    The 'South Bend' Enterprise. I had one of those as well. You.. can't really make the Bakker out of it, though. (Even ignoring the second saucer assembly). I don't remember any of the SB variants getting that ugly.

But, yeah, it's obvious that Marvel took a schematic of the Connie, and promptly ruined everything good that was the Enterprise to make a new ship.

What are the four long "dohickeys" on the Soyuz? They look like they would be something like a turbolaser, if such a thing existed in Trek, but having a weapon that size on a Trek ship is just weird. I hope it's something other than a weapon.

Please tell me it is...

not so neat.
    Acvtually, I kind of like it. I could see it being used in my game as an outdated AOFW cruiser from the pre-Federation membership days...
    Former Decipher RPG Net Rep

"Doug, at the keyboard, his fingers bleeding" (with thanks to Moriarti)

In D&D3E, Abyssal is not the language of evil vacuum cleaners.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimace
    What are the four long "dohickeys" on the Soyuz? They look like they would be something like a turbolaser, if such a thing existed in Trek, but having a weapon that size on a Trek ship is just weird. I hope it's something other than a weapon.
    It's officially supposed to be a sensor suite, which is just about as bizzare. To me, it makes more sense as a 'heavy phaser' - like an early version of the 'phaser lance', making the Soyuz a heavy-weapon frigate used for defense along the neutral zone. The basic reason they didn't make many? The Khitomer accords rendered the need for the ship moot.

It's officially supposed to be a sensor suite, which is just about as bizzare. To me, it makes more sense as a 'heavy phaser' - like an early version of the 'phaser lance', making the Soyuz a heavy-weapon frigate used for defense along the neutral zone. The basic reason they didn't make many? The Khitomer accords rendered the need for the ship moot.
    Maybe if they had left off the original tank turrets, or at least the barrels. But the look just screams "big A guns".

I like the Heavy Phasor idea, honestly. It makes sense for the time period (let's upgun the Miranda frame, we've done everything else to it), with strife and trouble with the neighbors.

but, officially it's supposed to be sensors (which makes a ton of sense, since the ship was designed to patrol the various Neutral Zones sepatating us from the cloak users) so....

[/engage fanwankery]

When the ship was originally created, the designers included high power phaser cannon arrays to create an upgunned variant of the versatile Miranda chassis. After the Khitomer accords, many of the vessels were shifted over to the Romulan neutral zone, where the heavier weapon pods were replaced with sensor pods to detect cloaked vessels better. While the game stats reflect the later variant with it's sensor pods, the Soyuz was lost before the upgrade, and so, was found in it's original, upgunned configuration; hence the barrels.

More advanced phaser materials later caused similar power outputs for weapons, so the phasor cannon idea was phased out in favor of regular ship phasors.

Further work on phasor cannon emplacements was suspended in the shift of Starfleet away from military solutions, and more toward exploring the galaxy around them.

[/end fanwankery]

Alex

but, officially it's supposed to be sensors (which makes a ton of sense, since the ship was designed to patrol the various Neutral Zones sepatating us from the cloak users) so....
    Well, the same 'source' for this also calls Kirk's Enterprise 'Exploration Cruiser' (despite the on-screen Heavy Cruiser reference), declares there are no fighters in Starfleet, and also says that the Saratoga in DS9 also has sensor pod extensions... that HAPPEN to fire phasers, I guess.

I'll go with Occam this time.

Federation 'Mustang' Fighter

It's not often that I get to try out something new and run with it, so I enjoyed doing this. Basically, this is the SFB Fighter, only made with lines matching the shuttles shown through the TOS instead of a bad Flash Gordon episode.

I'll be statting this puppy for CODA soon enough. The design includes placement of two phasers and two torpedo/ordinance assemblies. We'll see what Starships and the Fasa Construction Manual allow for soon enough!

Well, the same 'source' for this also calls Kirk's Enterprise 'Exploration Cruiser' (despite the on-screen Heavy Cruiser reference), declares there are no fighters in Starfleet, and also says that the Saratoga in DS9 also has sensor pod extensions... that HAPPEN to fire phasers, I guess.

I'll go with Occam this time.
    Hee. True dat. I forgot about the Saratoga.

Alex