Thread: Recalibrating DC Heroes for a Grittier Century

Recalibrating DC Heroes for a Grittier Century

Recalibrating DC Heroes for a Grittier Century (NY Times 10-12-05)

If there was ever a job for Superman, this is it.

DC Comics is in the midst of a major effort to revitalize the company's fabled superheroes for the 21st century and better connect with today's readers. The undertaking, which began in 2002, has involved a critical look at DC's characters - from Aquaman and Batman to Zatanna - and developing story lines that sometimes have heroes engage in decidedly unheroic deeds.

One of the goals, DC executives say, is to hold on to a more sophisticated readership. "Our characters were created in the 1940's and 50's and 60's," Dan DiDio, the DC Comics vice president for editorial, said. "There's a lot of elements where we've had a disconnect with the reader base of today."

Readers now, Mr. DiDio said, "are more savvy, and they're looking for more complexity and more depth for them to be following the stories on a monthly basis." A crucial phase of the campaign starts today with the release of "Infinite Crisis," the first of a seven-part monthly series that will bring together all the story threads - and the superheroes - that have been evolving in separate series over the past three years.

Toward the end of "Infinite Crisis," the characters will be catapulted a year into the future, some emerging with significantly new outlooks. To explain their transformation, next May DC will begin publishing "52," a yearlong weekly series set in "real" time chronicling the gap in the heroes' lives. By the end of the process, DC hopes to have recreated a universe of superheroes more in keeping with the times.

"Our audience is much smarter, much more sophisticated, and not necessarily because it's older," said Greg Rucka, a writer working on DC's plan. "A 12-year-old 20 years ago and a 12-year-old today are reading at very different levels. That's just the way it is." He added: "Everything has to evolve."

Several writers are working to further that evolution. They include Geoff Johns, a fan-favorite creator who helped revitalize "Teen Titans" and "Green Lantern"; Grant Morrison, who pushed the Justice League to new heights of popularity; Mr. Rucka, a novelist whose comics work includes runs on Batman, Superman and Wonder Woman; and Mark Waid, a former editor at DC and an expert on the accumulated histories of DC's heroes. Others involved in the project include Keith Giffen, who will provide page layouts for "52," and George Pérez, an artist held in high regard whose style guides will give DC's heroes a consistent look.

The approach was more like the team model for writing a television series than the traditional solitary one for comics, said Paul Levitz, the president and publisher of DC, a unit of Time Warner.

Revitalizing old characters is not without risk. In 1996, Marvel Entertainment, DC's archrival, made over some of its oldest heroes. The "Heroes Reborn" project included new origin stories that took place in a parallel universe. But the project was not popular with readers; eventually the characters were returned to their original stories. In 2000, Marvel tried again with a much more successful "Ultimate" line of comics.

DC's move to remake its superheroes has led to bold decisions:
    Last year, the "Identity Crisis" mini-series, written by Brad Meltzer, a novelist, had the Justice League retaliating for the rape of a hero's wife by brainwashing the villain - a turn of events that drove some fans to the Internet to vent their concern over DC's direction. The series was one of the year's best-selling titles.
    This past year, tension among Batman, Superman and Wonder Woman, the pillars of the DC universe, has been running high and erupted in July when Wonder Woman resorted to killing a man to save the Man of Steel.

The one-year gap that results from the "Infinite Crisis" will allow a hard look at every DC title with the question "What works about this character for the 21st century?" Mr. Waid said. Some titles may end up being canceled. Others will get a change of editors or writers.

"52," the weekly series that begins in May, will be a story-telling and production challenge. A weekly series leaves little room for delays in writing, illustrating or printing, and the "real time" concept means no inventory story can be dropped in to fill a gap in the narrative.

The commitment of resources "scared a lot of departments," Mr. DiDio said, adding, "This is not just an editorial risk; it's a company risk." If fans embrace the new DC superhero universe, the gamble will be worth it. Last year, the comic book industry generated nearly $500 million in sales. Milton Griepp, the publisher and founder of ICv2, an online trade publication that covers popular culture for retailers, estimated that monthly comics accounted for about $290 million of that sum. (The rest came from trade paperbacks.) Industry estimates for August's market share, in dollars, placed DC at 38 percent and Marvel at 41 percent.
    What about fans who feel that DC is becoming too dark a place to visit?

Mr. DiDio and Mr. Levitz agreed that there would be opportunities for course correction. If one of the writers feels "we're off track, we'll regroup," Mr. DiDio said.
    While some readers have posted complaints on the Internet that superheroes have become entangled in grimmer stories of late, DC creators note that even its most illustrious heroes' tales have dark roots. It was the murder of Bruce Wayne's parents that spawned Batman; the story of Superman began with the destruction of his home planet, Krypton.

"I think people feel it's dark because it's so compelling," Mr. DiDio said. "They don't know how our heroes are going to get out of the danger." Mr. Rucka agreed: "When they're saying 'it's too dark,' they're saying, 'I'm scared.' "
    He added, "It's not a crisis if they know they're going to win."

Is this a good thing or a bad thing? I'm old-school and have not been reading current issues of new DC Comics, but I prefer my superheroes to be larger-than-life, yet deal with issues we "ordinaries" have.

If anything, I'd like to see the JL storyline take a 180 spin and realize that the villain they have been brainwashing it NOT the actual rapist. Is what they're doing still okay because a villain is a villain, or have they gone too far in finding swift justice for the victim?

For Wonder Woman, I'd like to see her turn to deviant behavior before she has to end up in therapy. For a cop involved in a shooting incident, it's usually mandatory for them to have a psych briefing, but that policy is not placed on superheroes as well as ordinaries.
    Anyhoo, just some random thoughts...

"My philosophy is 'you don't need me to tell you how to play -- I'll just provide some rules and ideas to use and get out of your way.'"
    -- Monte Cook

"Min/Maxing and munchkinism aren't problems with the game: they're problems with the players."
    -- excerpt from Guardians of Order's Role-Playing Game Manifesto

A GENERATION KIKAIDA fan

DISCLAIMER: I Am Not A Lawyer

Who needs a psych briefing when you've got a telepath on staff?

Meh, I only buy the JLA TPB's, because there are already too damn many infinite crisis crossover collisions that affect the whole damn comic universe.

I did that ONCE for "Age of Apocalypse" when I was in college and my inheritance was paying for everything. - and that was just 7 or 8 titles. Now, I can't afford it.

Still, I DO like some of the "Ultimate" storylines... and those first issues are actually worth something now...
    "It's hard being an evil genius when everybody else is so stupid" -- Quantum Crook

*sigh*....y'know, sturm und drang gets pretty damned old after a while. It's turned into a joke with the X-titles. The Angst is so plastic you could burn it for fuel. I mean, the whole 'everybody hates us, yet we must protect them' schtick has gotten long in the tooth at this point.
    A brave little theory, and actually quite coherent for a system of five or seven dimensions -- if only we lived in one.

Academician Prokhor Zakharov, "Now We Are Alone"

*sigh*....y'know, sturm und drang gets pretty damned old after a while. It's turned into a joke with the X-titles.

Ah....The Uncanny Angst Men.

I like my superheroes to be dealing with their crises in ways that normal people do not. They have codes against killing, and find other ways to deal with villains (unless of course they are much darker heroes!)

Why does everyone have to be made over to fit the times? The majority of heroes seem to be just fine, at least IMHO.

Cheers

Tas
    "Wherever you go....there you are!"

Yeah, this whole thing isn't really because "today's audience is much smarter, much more sophisticated" it's because comic sales are on the decline and they want to do something that they hope with "shake up sales" and put money back into the industry (specifically in their coffers). I'm tired of revamps of heroes. Some super heroes should just be how they are, and if readership causes them to slip into the annuls of history, then so be it. If they want to go having superheroes do "not so heroic" things, and have more grit and darkness, then they need to make new heroes that are based on modern society, not go tweaking with things that were made back in the golden age of comics and the good ol' "four color superheroes".

What they don't realize is that they may have a group of people that want things to be shaken up, but some of those same people, any many others that didn't want a change in the first place, will eventually want things back to the familiar way it was. Any immediate profit increase will be a flash in the pan in the overall scope of the comic/superhero run, and may alienate more in the longer run than it attracts in the short term.

Want higher sales? Stop charging $5+ bucks an issue.

Revamps aren't bad, if they're done well. However, not everything requires an Ultimate or All-Star revisit. And, haven't super-heroes been getting "grittier" since V for Vendetta and Dark Knight Returns anyway? In fact, something lighter might be a breath of fresh air.

Apathy and self-destruction as themes have been mined to oblivion. I think, something more like Mark Millar's Ultimates is on the mark. His political satire is hard-hitting and funny as hell.

But, I guess facelifts are what we're going to get. The properties are too well-known and too lucrative to brush aside for new ideas and original concepts. Some writer-original titles (like 100 Bullets, Atomika and Ex Machina) are the only things that keep mainstream alive with some level of integrity.

And lastly, concerning super-heroes and the "problems" they face; I think that being godlike does not necessarily preclude one from facing the same problems we all face. While Alan Moore's Dr Manhattan may have demonstrated the aloof detachment of a deified being in the Watchmen beautifully, I can't imagine Superman or Thor being *that* dehumanised. To root them in the psyche of the reader, they need to face everyday ups and downs like the rest of us. It's a case of using hyperbolic situations to make acute statements.
    Last edited by Squick; 10-13-2005 at 05:56 AM.

I'm not too fond either of the revamps things... Oh, it can be fun for a while to see 60s-heroes starting over in our world, but usually, this comes to having the same stories rehashed over, with a lot more swearwords, mobile phones, internet, and different science (come on, we all know radiations are lethal, let's use genetic manipulation for a change). Oh, and a usually darker mood as well.

Ah the mood. It seems now every comic hero (and super heroes don't escape this rule) have to be angsty, tortured by some inner demons, unlucky, unsure of himself... to the point that, without the special powers and costumes, one would wonder if they shouldn't belong to a pyschiatric ward instead. Okay, we're supposed to want heroes we can relate to (that I'm not entirely agreeing with BTW, since I also want heroes who can make me dream about something else than my current life), but maybe that doesn't mean they have to be angst tanks with a bad karma the size of Earth.
    For one thing, having more multi dimensional villains, or people who can switch sides, would be much more interesting (okay, that's done too... but not enough IMHO). And newer heroes - hey, if the comics guys had been doing Star Trek, I feel that every sequel would have had the same crew as the original series (with different actors of course).
    And for the ideas - we're still using ideas that are decades old : mutants, aliens with strange powers, accidental mutations.... why can't we have new ideas ?
    Okay, everything seems to have been done as far as superheroes go, but then... that's what creativity is all about.
    "The main difference between Trekkies and Manchester United fans is that Trekkies never trashed a train carriage. So why are the Trekkies the social outcasts?"
    Terry Pratchett

I have been collecting comics since I was old enough to read. Over time, my preference has been for Marvel Comics over DC Comics. I just found Marvel's stories/characters more interesting, at least in the 80s & early 90s.

I rarely buy superhero (in the traditional sense) comics anymore, either Marvel or DC. That's b/c I find they tend to rehash the same stories over & over again, just different characters involved or 1 or 2 different details.

My preference now is for sci-fi & horror comics and non-traditional heroes. I've been reading some of the Vertigo Comics recently (which is owned by DC) and I like a few of their titles including Preacher, Sandman Mystery Theatre, Y: The Last Man & my favorite of them all: Transmetropolitan.

I also like many titles from Dark Horse Comics. I collect Conan and Star Wars: Empire & some of their miniseries.

I'm also a big fan of The Walking Dead published by an independent comic publisher.

About the only "superhero" comics I collect regularly are the Authority (by Wildstorm which is owned by DC) and Supreme (Marvel). I like them b/c I find them very different from the traditional superhero stories & the writing & art are quite good.

Quote Originally Posted by black campbellq
    Want higher sales? Stop charging $5+ bucks an issue.
    Most issues are $3 each.

Is it true that while comic book readership have declined, the manga readership have increased in the US?

"My philosophy is 'you don't need me to tell you how to play -- I'll just provide some rules and ideas to use and get out of your way.'"
    -- Monte Cook

"Min/Maxing and munchkinism aren't problems with the game: they're problems with the players."

A GENERATION KIKAIDA fan

Quote Originally Posted by Jem'hadar
    About the only "superhero" comics I collect regularly are the Authority (by Wildstorm which is owned by DC) and Supreme (Marvel). I like them b/c I find them very different from the traditional superhero stories & the writing & art are quite good.
    How so? Are they grittier?

-- Monte Cook

A GENERATION KIKAIDA fan