Thread: Transparent Aluminum is real

Transparent Aluminum is real

Or, close enough.

http://www.afmc.wpafb.af.mil/HQ-AFMC.../AFMCNS020.htm

In a demonstration at Fort Drum’s Team Patriot East in June 2004, ALON test pieces held up to both a .30 caliber Russian M-44 sniper rifle and a .50 caliber Browning Sniper Rifle with armor piercing bullets. While the bullets pierced the glass samples, the ALON withstood the impact, resulting in no penetration.
    Neat.

Salinas, Calif., USA (a Chiefs fan in an unholy land)
    Very cool. You knew it was just a matter of time. I wonder if they went to Paramount to ask them about using the name.

(Probably not, but it's humorous to think about it.)
    Davy Jones

"Frightened? My dear, you are looking at a man who has laughed in the face of death, sneered at doom, and chuckled at catastrophe! I was petrified."
    -- The Wizard of Oz

Nice. Talking about reality repeating fiction.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Tyger
    Very cool. You knew it was just a matter of time. I wonder if they went to Paramount to ask them about using the name.

(Probably not, but it's humorous to think about it.)
    Somewhere inside a Paramount building, a legal suit is banging his head on the metal wall for not registering a trademark on the name.

Like I care about them suits...
    Anyhoo, just some random thoughts...

"My philosophy is 'you don't need me to tell you how to play -- I'll just provide some rules and ideas to use and get out of your way.'"
    -- Monte Cook

"Min/Maxing and munchkinism aren't problems with the game: they're problems with the players."
    -- excerpt from Guardians of Order's Role-Playing Game Manifesto

A GENERATION KIKAIDA fan

DISCLAIMER: I Am Not A Lawyer

That is just too cool.. the fact it's actually Aluminium and not something else is what makes it amazing !
    Ta Muchly

Now . . . the question is, I know it'll be a long time until this happens. Who wants a transparent Car?

Actually...

I'm wondering who going to be the first business to use this stuff: Coke or Pepsi

Honestly, I hope it's niether, I'd love to hear that this stuff come WAAAAAAAAAY down in cost to produce, so as it could become a viable building product (imagine if buildings in say New Orleans had this stuff for windows...)
    ...and that's about the time it hit the fan...

Truisms I know:
    1) Marvel is NOT better than DC (nor should EVERYTHING be ‘ULTIMITED’),
    2) D20 is NOT the best gaming system out there (nor should EVERYTHING be ‘crammed’ into it),
    3) And No matter how ‘THEY’ dress it up, Regardless of how ‘THEY’ title it, and even if ‘THEY’ say “BASED ON…”; “ENTERPRISE” IS NOT STAR TREK!!!
    4) 'Reality' T.V. ain't 'Real'

Hmm yes I think it'll be some time before they can manufacture a window big enough to make an impromptu whale tank

Somehow I think if this stuff was in New Orleans.. you'd have a pile of unbroken windows, scattered liberally amongst rubble! It is strong, but if the huricane is strong enough to reduce a timber house to kindling, I don't think, sadly, it comes with a built in structural integrity field to shore up the rest of the house.. that's a way off yet !
    Ta Muchly