Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Starfleet #1

IIIIIIIIII like it! Good work. One suggestion -- the little tab on the right-hand pages that says "Constitution"? Since you're indicating a timeframe, not a ship class, consider changing it to "Consitution Era."
    - Daniel "A revolution without dancing is a revolution not worth having."

Quote Originally Posted by Sho-sa Kurita
    IIIIIIIIII like it! Good work. One suggestion -- the little tab on the right-hand pages that says "Constitution"? Since you're indicating a timeframe, not a ship class, consider changing it to "Consitution Era."
    The other tabs are 'NX', 'Daedalus', 'Armstrong', 'Baton Rouge', 'Constitution (R)', 'Excelsior', 'Ambassador', 'Galaxy', 'Soveriegn' ... so, with that in mid, makes it a bit more clear, right?

It's not so much that is was unclear. I guess it's just a preference. You've got a ship-class name at the top of the page for the write-up, and then another ship-class name for the era on the side of the page...

Other than that personal issue I really like the layout. Simple and clean, and the covers are very nice.
    - Daniel "A revolution without dancing is a revolution not worth having."

Why not just change it to the date, date range, or Circa 2360's?
    Phoenix...

"I'm not saying there should be capital punishment for stupidity,
    but maybe we should just remove all the safety lables and let nature take it's course"

"A Place For Everything & Nothing In It's Place"

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix
    Why not just change it to the date, date range, or Circa 2360's?
    You wanna know why?!

I'll tell you why!!!

THE FARGIN' OBERTH!!!!

Damn the Oberth! From hell's heart I stabbeth thee!

Erm, sorries. Actually, I grouped the ships by technology level. The Revenge class, for instance, wouldn't be built until 2380, but it's using tech that's from the 2280's.

Quote Originally Posted by TFVanguard
    You wanna know why?!

I'll tell you why!!!

THE FARGIN' OBERTH!!!!

Damn the Oberth! From hell's heart I stabbeth thee!
    TFVanguard let me introduce you to a concept...it's called Decaf
    Really, based on the tech level makes sense. In my own break downs of Star Fleet I had given names to the ship "generations" so to speak. There not as refined or populated as yours however.

Ah, just for the heck of it here's my era list:
    Pre-Federation (2050-2160’s) (Valent - NX)
    Generation 1 (2150-2240’s) “The Beginning” (Daedalus)
    Generation 2 (2230-60’s) “The Awakening” (Connie)
    Generation 3 (2270-2310’s) “The First Expansion” (Refit Connie)
    Generation 4 (2290-2330’s) “The Great Experiment” (Obirth, Excelsior)
    Generation 5 (2320-2350’s) “The Second Expansion” (Springfield, Wambandu, lots of the lost ships mentioned but never seen)
    Generation 6 (2330-2360’s) “The Peace Initiative” (Ambassador, Olympic)
    Generation 7 (2350-2370’s) “The Next Generation” (Galaxy, Nebula)
    Generation 8 (2360’s on) “Perimeter Defense Action” (Akira, Intrepid)
    Generation 9 (2370’s on) “Post Dominion Designs” (Nova, Soverign)

And as you noticed there is some over lap in the tech area.
    Phoenix...

"I'm not saying there should be capital punishment for stupidity,
    but maybe we should just remove all the safety lables and let nature take it's course"

"A Place For Everything & Nothing In It's Place"

When you do Vol. 2 of TOS

Can I suggest:
    http://www.starshipmodeler.org/gallery10/ja_pioneer.htm

It's not a bad design, it looks like it would fit in either early 'Connie'-era, or just refore refitting began...my guess anyway, YMMV
    ...and that's about the time it hit the fan...

Truisms I know:
    1) Marvel is NOT better than DC (nor should EVERYTHING be ‘ULTIMITED’),
    2) D20 is NOT the best gaming system out there (nor should EVERYTHING be ‘crammed’ into it),
    3) And No matter how ‘THEY’ dress it up, Regardless of how ‘THEY’ title it, and even if ‘THEY’ say “BASED ON…”; “ENTERPRISE” IS NOT STAR TREK!!!
    4) 'Reality' T.V. ain't 'Real'

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix
    TFVanguard let me introduce you to a concept...it's called Decaf
    Yeah yeah, but why is the Oberth around even in DS9? I mean, it seemed a bit hopeless in the 2280s, much LESS 100 years later. Why would there be so many? (Yes, I know the 'real' reason, but it's not good enough). Coupled with the size issues and the performance issues, it's just.. gah... just a frustrating bastard, really.

Quote Originally Posted by Modem
    Can I suggest:
    http://www.starshipmodeler.org/gallery10/ja_pioneer.htm

It's not a bad design, it looks like it would fit in either early 'Connie'-era, or just refore refitting began...my guess anyway, YMMV
    You know, if it were a TMP-era ship, I would just throw it into the 'scrapyard fleet' pile, where it would make the most sense. As a TOS ship, I'm really - really iffy on this one. The overall lines are doable, but all those little 'greeblies' really turn the thing into the dreaded 'space dragster', particularly on the primary hull.

The 'rear scanners' harken to SFB and the tech manual, but we know those aren't scanners anymore...

I might do a 'clean hull' version of it, but, I dunno.. there's a lot of points on this ship that I'm really hesistant to work on, accordingly... just too many 'space dragster' bits all over it. :S

Quote Originally Posted by TFVanguard
    Yeah yeah, but why is the Oberth around even in DS9? I mean, it seemed a bit hopeless in the 2280s, much LESS 100 years later. Why would there be so many? (Yes, I know the 'real' reason, but it's not good enough). Coupled with the size issues and the performance issues, it's just.. gah... just a frustrating bastard, really.
    I got yer back on this one.
    ____

Were they ever called Oberth class in TNG/DS9? I can't remember (and I'm too cheap to spend that much on the DVDs and go look for myself).

Could we use a scaling issue thing kinda like the old FASA TNG Officers Manual by creating the Sagan class?

It looks just like the Oberth (same model for tv), but it's bigger, heartier, and generally more useful. I mean, after all, if there can be like 4300 different sized of the Klingon bird of prey model...

Alex

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Blake
    Were they ever called Oberth class in TNG/DS9? I can't remember (and I'm too cheap to spend that much on the DVDs and go look for myself).
    As far as I know, the class name was never said on screen, but a couple of dedication plaques did indeed say 'Oberth'. Granted, the SFX came seperately from the bridge redresses, so it's possible that, at the time (the Tsicho..ts.. the russian one) may have originally meant to be a new class completely that was /retconned/ into the Oberth. (Neither Oberth nor Miranda were official class names until TNG was on the air...)

Could we use a scaling issue thing kinda like the old FASA TNG Officers Manual by creating the Sagan class?
    I'm actually not going ot bother. I don't really mind the Oberth's size except for the hull connections, and that only needs a little tweaking up to make it work. The Sagan, to me, could be an 'upgraded' Oberth - but the 'magnify the hull' concept is just plain dumb. I'll chalk it to bad VFX.

It looks just like the Oberth (same model for tv), but it's bigger, heartier, and generally more useful. I mean, after all, if there can be like 4300 different sized of the Klingon bird of prey model...
    *shudder*

Something I'm not looking forward to when I do a Galaxy-Era Klingon book.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Blake
    The Oberth name was coined for TNG. They never named the class in ST3.
    Former Decipher RPG Net Rep

"Doug, at the keyboard, his fingers bleeding" (with thanks to Moriarti)

In D&D3E, Abyssal is not the language of evil vacuum cleaners.