Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: To our French Members

i ok

tank you for your concerne

i m lived far from Paris, nothing to report here!!

@+
    Kalamaro, le poulpe de l'espace qui va dejeuner
    Last edited by kalamaro; 11-07-2005 at 03:35 PM.

Ah good I've been looking at this stuff. Reminds me of the 'Rodney King' riots, but much, much uglier
    A brave little theory, and actually quite coherent for a system of five or seven dimensions -- if only we lived in one.

Academician Prokhor Zakharov, "Now We Are Alone"

Quote Originally Posted by BouncyCaitian
    Ah good I've been looking at this stuff. Reminds me of the 'Rodney King' riots, but much, much uglier
    Ain't it amazin' how people always seem to burn down their own neighborhoods?

After nine nights of this, it's more than some disgruntled immigrants.

Quote Originally Posted by black campbellq

After nine nights of this, it's more than some disgruntled immigrants.
    Yup.

With every night that France's rundown suburbs burn, officials grow increasingly convinced that drug traffickers and Islamist militants are using frustrated youths to challenge law and order here.
    "It's hard being an evil genius when everybody else is so stupid" -- Quantum Crook

For the sake of peace I hope this will die down soon. If they have serious grievences with the government, the best way to voice them, is to get involved with the government. For government is suppost to be, in most of the western world, representative. So if they want change, or if they want support they can do one thing . . . VOTE.

Destroying private property helps no one, and hurts those communities more then it helps.

Well I'm living in Paris and so far things are normal in the city... but from what the media say the suburbs are indeed becoming... agitated, to put it mildly.
    And it apparently things are starting to deteriorate in the outskirts of Paris as well and in a few other cities.
    Anyway, I spend saturday in the center of Paris and saw nothing unusual (not even more policemen).

Apparently, the guys in the suburbs are competing against each other on who be most heard about in the news. The extra news coverage given to this event leads me to think that more than a few politicians are trying to use this to push their personal agendas.

Anyway, I thank everyone for their concerns and will keep you informed.
    "The main difference between Trekkies and Manchester United fans is that Trekkies never trashed a train carriage. So why are the Trekkies the social outcasts?"
    Terry Pratchett

Dude that is just a little racist no?

Thank you BC and all for your concern. So far, so good, I would even say I have not seen a sign of the unrest for the moment, but I heard things went a bit rough just north of where I live, so I will keep my fingers crossed.

Just one thing: As the discussion about the causes and consequences of this unrest borders on the political, I would respectfully suggest they are not tackled here, and that pre-made judgments are left at the gate (*looks pointedly in black campbellq's direction*: I'll be honest dude, your comment really set me on edge here).

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    Expanded Spacecraft Operations, a 100+ page sourcebook for CODA Trek

I'll back up KW here, and suggest we maintain this topic for reports on the situation in France (I completely failed once again to notice anything unusual on my trip to work today - I'm waiting for news from a friend who lives in one of the concerned suburbs).

Let's keep the racist one-liners and broad generalisations to the political forum, if anyone feels interested in starting a discussion here.

No relation here, but that was my 2000th post
    Last edited by C5; 11-08-2005 at 04:04 AM.
    "The main difference between Trekkies and Manchester United fans is that Trekkies never trashed a train carriage. So why are the Trekkies the social outcasts?"
    Terry Pratchett

Ah...the old "racist" cannard. Yeah, why not...okay, I'm a racist.

*hammering the topic back on course*

http://www.cbc.ca/cp/world/051107/w110774.html

Three hundred cities? umm...that's not a riot, people.
    A brave little theory, and actually quite coherent for a system of five or seven dimensions -- if only we lived in one.

Agreed, more like the beginning of a revolution.
    Phoenix...

"I'm not saying there should be capital punishment for stupidity,
    but maybe we should just remove all the safety lables and let nature take it's course"

"A Place For Everything & Nothing In It's Place"

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/grap...wfran08big.gif

major flashpoints.

Definitely sounding like a revolution