Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Fun with Greyscale III

USS Baker Class Heavy Destroyer

You know, I can almost accept this as a heavy destroyer when compared to the Saladin, really. The stats given the ship don't jive with that, of course, but FASA had a lot worse designs out there...

Quote Originally Posted by First of Two
    So... any plans on doing FASA's Andor and/or Thufir? There's an interpretation I'd like to see.
    Right now, as a favour, I'm getting the FASA 1st Edition manual done. (I've got three more classes to draw, and then I get to writing it. AIEE!) After that, I need to wrap up the second Connie era book (a few pods, etc..)

I was thinking of hitting FASA Feddie book #2 at that point, which would be classes from the 2nd edition FASA guide not in the first. (Of which Andor would be included). So, eventually, yes, I plan on doing it - it's just a matter of when. ^_^

My goal, honestly, is to average out a 'netbook' a month with these puppies.

Very nice! Very nice! Very nice!

C'Laih Class Runabout

(Drawn on scale with shuttlecrafts)

I suspect heavily that this ship was an aborted attempt to draw the Vulcan warp-sled from The Motion picture that just didn't pan out. I took the basic lines, and actually made the ship fit the parameters that it's SUPPOSED to serve, using from lines from the TFF shuttles.

I'm not too thrilled, but it's an extremely obscure ship as it is...

And.. before anyone mentions it.. I got the labelling fixed already - just not on the uploaded version. :P

TF....you're doing very good work, but....ummm......that's more of a runaway than a runabout.

"......first, we construct a large wooden badger......"

<<<<sproing>>>>

"Run Away!!!!!!!!!"

Sorry, friend, but that design may be a violation of the Geneva Conventions.

Given the good work you do, I'm terrified to find out what it looked like before.

You're doing great work, nonetheless.

Quote Originally Posted by selek
    Given the good work you do, I'm terrified to find out what it looked like before.
    Upper half of a TOS shuttle, scrubbed of its detailings , shoved onto a warp sled, with the sled made twice as thick - again scrubbed of its detailings, with a pair of LN-64 engines (of course) cribbed from the Spaceflight Chronology and stuck onto the sides.

Structurally, the main thing I did here was make the lines more consistant with the TFF shuttlecraft and added the docking ring mentioned in the text. I very nearly just chopped off the 'porta-camper' top... but went ahead and kept it to keep /something/ consistant.

Actually, I rather like that thing.. Kind of reminds me of the alien ship at the beginning of Wrath of Khan, and a precursor to the Runabout. The profiles could use a little work to make it more elegant, but it has a lot of potential!
    Ta Muchly

Quote Originally Posted by Tobian
    Actually, I rather like that thing.. Kind of reminds me of the alien ship at the beginning of Wrath of Khan, and a precursor to the Runabout. The profiles could use a little work to make it more elegant, but it has a lot of potential!
    FASA's? Actually, it's not terrible in and of itself, the problem is that it didn't mesh up with what it's SUPPOSED to be - something you see a lot of in FASA, really. In this case, the ship was simultaneously too big and too small. (Too big to be a shuttle, too small for two decks, given the supposed dimensions.)

You're doing excellent work on converting over all of the designs, but to be honest, I can't see a point to most of them. How many designs do you actually NEED?!

I know many of the ships are meant to LOOK as if they are based on modules, but really, they are massive superstructures.. The ammount of R&D time, work and effort involved in designing what is effectivelly not much different than before, I can't really see that the extra effort involved could not be used to adapt existing hull frames? Hmm.
    Ta Muchly

SS Laweya Class Frieighter

Nothing much to see here, being basically a smaller version of the Overfield with a
    new 'hood' on the saucer.

Quote Originally Posted by Tobian
    You're doing excellent work on converting over all of the designs, but to be honest, I can't see a point to most of them. How many designs do you actually NEED?!
    Me, personally? I was fine with the basics. ^_^

Though, when using the US Navy (circa post-wwII era) as the base, we get about 750 mainline ships divided up amoungst about 40 classes (most of which destroyer to frigate size). So, for TOS era, that's what I'm looking at.

Quote Originally Posted by TFVanguard
    SS Laweya Class Frieighter

Nothing much to see here, being basically a smaller version of the Overfield with a
    new 'hood' on the saucer.
    Now THAT is how a freighter should look!! It's got a hint of Fed lines, but doesn't scream "I'm a sloppy hull slapped on to an elegant looking saucer section!"

Kudos on a nice looking freighter!

Quote Originally Posted by selek
    As a brief aside, what program are you using to generate these fantastic images? And is there any chance of the Remora Class?

Please, please, please- keep up the good work!
    I'm using Paint Shop Pro currently (and about to get a couple of tonal-add-ons for it to play with!). So, there's nothing fancy about the ships, just lines and fills, with a grayscale palette. Keeping these simple /really/ helps the look, though.

The Remora is in SRM 2nd edition, right? So, probably when I hit that one - though I suspect some people here are getting sick' of FASA ships and wanting me to move forward. ^_^

SS Kareth Class Scout

I kept fairly close to the original lines this time, but had to redo the saucer completely because the specs given made the ship IMPOSSIBLE once again. Rather than be too much of a stickler for another largely-unheard of ship, I upped the size all around to make some sense of it in both form and function.

And this concludes the 1st Edition FASA Feddie SRM!