Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Maximum number of torpedos

Arrow Maximum number of torpedos

Hello,

just a really short question. Where can I find the maximum number of torpedos availiable in a certain starship class? Are those numbers contained in the sourcebooks? I didn't find them up to now. And if they in deed aren't in the books - where else could I find them? Anyone around, that got some useful links?

I thank for all your help in advance.
    'How the heck did you wipe out that whole armada of Borg cubes with only one ship, captain?!'

'We just beamed over some old 21th century personal computer, attatched it to the Borgsystem and installed an operation system called Windows - and BANG... they went bluescreened immediatelly!'

Do you need them in general, for Icon or for Coda System?

Shouldn't they all be the same?

Well, anyway... I play Coda, so I suppose that would be the most important one. But the general numbers wouldn't hurt either. Just hand me, what you've got. I appreciate every info I can get.

Thanks so far for your answer. I'm away for some days now, but I'll check your tips as soon as I'll be back. So long...
    'How the heck did you wipe out that whole armada of Borg cubes with only one ship, captain?!'

'We just beamed over some old 21th century personal computer, attatched it to the Borgsystem and installed an operation system called Windows - and BANG... they went bluescreened immediatelly!'

np.

For Coda look in the Starships book.

For General go here: www.ditl.org or get a copy of Steve Longs Spacedock.

In CODA, the maximum number of torpedoes is not tracked. This is to mirror what was seen onscreen, where they never worried about torpedo inventory unless it was a plot point (Star Trek VI, anyone?).
    Former Decipher RPG Net Rep

"Doug, at the keyboard, his fingers bleeding" (with thanks to Moriarti)

In D&D3E, Abyssal is not the language of evil vacuum cleaners.

The Enterprise-E ran out of photons during the big battle with Shizon's battleship in ST:Nemesis, so there has to be a limit that is possible to reach in heavy battle.
    "For to win 100 victories in 100 battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill." Sun Tzu - The Art of War

Quote Originally Posted by Pericles
    The Enterprise-E ran out of photons during the big battle with Shizon's battleship in ST:Nemesis, so there has to be a limit that is possible to reach in heavy battle.
    Like I said, it only comes into play as a plot point.

When did Voyager run out of torpedoes or even keep track of how many they had on hand?

Everybody, now! <i>Only when it was part of the plot!</i>
    Former Decipher RPG Net Rep

"Doug, at the keyboard, his fingers bleeding" (with thanks to Moriarti)

In D&D3E, Abyssal is not the language of evil vacuum cleaners.

I think citing ST: Nemesis and Voyager are huge mistakes anyway. (Voyager went so far as to say the number of torpedoes that they had, explain that they can't replicate them, and then proceed to use more than than in the first 13 episodes... idiots.)

ST:TUC has the Enteprise-A (and therefore, the Enterprise Refit) at 60 torpedoes, stored in the two torpedo decks. The Enterprise-D had 250 photon torpedoes. In either case, with most engagements lasting no more than a few torpedoes' worth of attacks, the ships were well equipped.

The Enteprise, pre refit, (and thus all ships with a similar saucer design w/ torpedo launcher) would likely have 40 torpedoes of a smaller type (hence they didn't need the huge launcher decks shown from TMP onward).

The only official word on how many this version of the ship carries is a ludicrous 400, from the Spaceflight Chronology.

Speaking of torpedos, there is one thing that's always made me wonder:
    Can a ship make more torpedos, or are they something that can only be supplied by SF? I mean the casing and components cant be TOO hard to replicate, which would leave the warhead/explosives, which I seem to remember at some time was anti-matter, which TOS and NG seemed able to create readily.

So, could an advanced enough ship (Galaxy class or higher) make their own torpedos?

Quote Originally Posted by Tricky
    So, could an advanced enough ship (Galaxy class or higher) make their own torpedos?
    I think the answer, in TOS time, is no (TOS had much more limited replication technology, primarily limited to molecules for food processing and some other simple materials.)

Then in TNG time, it would be 'yes', hence some of the problems in Voyager. TNG was shown to replicate nearly anything, including anti-matter. So, when you can do THAT, making new torpedoes shouldn't be all that hard - so long as there's some source mass to draw upon.

And, of all forms of anti-matter, the heavy anti-hydrogren atom, or anti-dueterium, the very type of anti-matter found on Feddie ships and torpedoes, would indeed be the simplest to replicate.

I'm not sure why there would be a need to know how many photon torpodoes a starship has unless the ship in question is far from a base from which they could re-supply their stock for an extended period of time.

That was Voyager's situation & even they didn't keep track of how many photon torpedoes they had or even how many shuttles.

Even in a pitched battle, as GM I would rule the ship has an ample supply of torpedoes for the battle in question.

I agree w/ Doug Burke. Unless there's a plot reason to say the ship has run out of torpedoes, I don't see any reason to know the exact number.

And if you do absolutely need this info., just make up a reasonable number. Since it's not started in any of the Coda books (as far as I know) nor has it ever been stated on the show, you're free as GM to make up the number.

'Canon' References

Voyager - 55 Torpedoes
    Enterprise (Refit)/Enterprise-A - 60 Torpedoes
    Enterprise-D - 200 Torpedoes

'Assumptions'

Enterprise - 40 Torpedoes
    Excelsior - 80 Torpedoes
    Ambassador - 120 Torpedoes
    Soveriegn - 200 Torpedoes

Note, mileage may vary with plot.

I agree the Enterprise-E running out of torpedoes was a plot point, but seeing as how they were firing a dozen at a time in rapid succession, if she did indeed carry 200 total, then expending all of them was actually fairly believable.
    "For to win 100 victories in 100 battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill." Sun Tzu - The Art of War

Afaik the replicator makes mistakes in replicating things, so would it not be too dangerous to replicate something complex like an Torpedo shell?

The problem with knowing how many torpedo's you have on any given ship in CODA is fairly moot because the damage you do is calculated from how many LAUNCHERS you have.. this, to me, implies you are firing off more than one at a time. it should be easy to track down the canonical torpedo numbers from any starship, but how these marry with how many shots you can fire in Coda, I have no idea!

As for replicattion.. in TNG era - no they cannot. I have never seen an episode where they have replicated antimatter using the replicators. They can make antimatter in TNG, and they can probably slowly make the components, but I am fairly sure they cannot be replicated.. If they could be replicaded why do they not just keep 10, and replicate them as they need them? manufacture yes.. Replicate no.. I do recall a Voyager episode where they mentioned refitting alien tech into their torpedo systems.. I think there are some things which are hard to simply make, so adapting equiptment is easier.

While I agree running out of torpedo's is a plot point, as has also been pointed out, most ships never go through their inventory regularly! You don't see ships firing off volleys of dozens of them, except when fighting the Borg Usually!
    Ta Muchly