Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: On Screen: Another TNG Movie?

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Tyger
    I'd rather have an Enterprise movie than a TNG movie, if only to give that crew a more proper sendoff (and repair the damage done by the apocryphal garbage Berman imposed on them in "These are the Voyages...").
    I'd rather not. What's done is done. Your asking that is like asking to re-do Star Trek V.

And though I may be flamed, but I prefer a greater ensemble cast of Trek characters, not just TNG. If they want to bring in the Enterprise cast in a temporal-related story (one that actually make sense and devoid of Braga's crap), so be it. Have Sisko the Prophet worked on two different time periods, fighting an antagonist who is known as the Dark Prophet, a being born of a prophet and a pah-wraith.
    Anyhoo, just some random thoughts...

"My philosophy is 'you don't need me to tell you how to play -- I'll just provide some rules and ideas to use and get out of your way.'"
    -- Monte Cook

"Min/Maxing and munchkinism aren't problems with the game: they're problems with the players."
    -- excerpt from Guardians of Order's Role-Playing Game Manifesto

A GENERATION KIKAIDA fan

DISCLAIMER: I Am Not A Lawyer

Hmm, let think.. NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO that sounds worse than a Berman Bragga plot!
    Ta Muchly

Destroying the Earth...nah...overdone.
    A brave little theory, and actually quite coherent for a system of five or seven dimensions -- if only we lived in one.

Academician Prokhor Zakharov, "Now We Are Alone"

Quote Originally Posted by Tobian
    Hmm, let think.. NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO that sounds worse than a Berman Bragga plot!
    Oh, I'm sure Manny Coto can fill in the details and polish up my story proposal.

"My philosophy is 'you don't need me to tell you how to play -- I'll just provide some rules and ideas to use and get out of your way.'"
    -- Monte Cook

"Min/Maxing and munchkinism aren't problems with the game: they're problems with the players."

A GENERATION KIKAIDA fan

I know you like him Reg, but with that set of story threads he's more than likelly to walk off the set and never come back.. I thought you wanted him to come back, not scare him off forever!
    Ta Muchly

Question

You got something better to bring them ALL back (or at least a handful from each series), without revisiting the awful Romulan-Reman story?

-- Monte Cook

A GENERATION KIKAIDA fan

Quote Originally Posted by REG
    I'd but I prefer a greater ensemble cast of Trek
    No, I do not think this would work. Its only two hours and we've seen what a mix of crews does to a story in "Theses are the Voyages". I think the TNG crew deserves a grand send-off like the TOS-crew had and I think Frakes should do it. I like ST VIII and IX and since he is part of it, he knows Trek and that crew.
    We came in peace, for all mankind - Apollo 11

Actually given Brian Singer is probably one of the few directors I'd be happy to see take the helm. And his interest might be one of the only things that might get such a movie made.

"You can't take a picture of this; it's already gone." -Nate Fisher, Six Feet Under.

I don't know. I did not like the X-Men movies at all - which may be because I am no great fan of comics, though. On the other hand he knows Trek - he had a guest role in Nemesis.
    But I think he is too inexperienced for such an undertaking and has too few involvement with Trek. I would like an insider do it. But taking a look at your newse production, Cpt., why don't you do it ?
    We came in peace, for all mankind - Apollo 11

Quote Originally Posted by Evan van Eyk
    But I think he is too inexperienced for such an undertaking and has too few involvement with Trek. I would like an insider do it.
    The best Trek movie out of all of them was directed by a man who had never watched Star Trek and knew nothing about the franchise going into it. And yet, by paying attention to what was there uinstead of trying to make his own fannish contribution, he was able to not only remain true to the spirit of the franchise, but also to make a great movie.

Insiders gave us things like Star Trek V, Insurrection, and the first three seasons of Enterprise.

With that in mind, which sounds like a better idea?
    Former Decipher RPG Net Rep

"Doug, at the keyboard, his fingers bleeding" (with thanks to Moriarti)

In D&D3E, Abyssal is not the language of evil vacuum cleaners.

Salinas, Calif., USA (a Chiefs fan in an unholy land)
    Quote Originally Posted by Doug Burke
    With that in mind, which sounds like a better idea?
    ...Well, the first two seasons of Enterprise, at least.

Would anyone want to see Leonard Nimoy direct another Trek film?
    Davy Jones

"Frightened? My dear, you are looking at a man who has laughed in the face of death, sneered at doom, and chuckled at catastrophe! I was petrified."
    -- The Wizard of Oz

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Tyger

Would anyone want to see Leonard Nimoy direct another Trek film?
    That would be great! With Frakes being a good second choice, and maybe Mr. Singer third.

but the best director in the world won't save you if there isn't a good story.

No, I do not think this would work. Its only two hours and we've seen what a mix of crews does to a story in "Theses are the Voyages".
    You're using a Berman-Braga written episode to support your argument?

-- Monte Cook

A GENERATION KIKAIDA fan

I don't know. I did not like the X-Men movies at all - which may be because I am no great fan of comics, though. On the other hand he knows Trek - he had a guest role in Nemesis.
    But I think he is too inexperienced for such an undertaking and has too few involvement with Trek. I would like an insider do it. But taking a look at your newse production, Cpt., why don't you do it ?
    Singer's a pretty experienced director, and a hot property in Hollywood though. If anything is likely to make them sit up and listen, it's the idea that someone with a proven track record, who is in high demand as a director, and whose movies are big earners, wants to work with them.

Sadly, that isn't me. But it is Singer.

"You can't take a picture of this; it's already gone." -Nate Fisher, Six Feet Under.

Singer, as a fan and as a talented director, could bring alot to the table, despite earlier statements about how insiders tend to give us fannish contributions.

Once again, I think that the director is just one peice of the puzzle. You need a good, perhaps even great story. I'm probably one of the biggest fanboys you'll even meet, and even I know that sifting through the entire mythos and making something that will appeal only to fans is dooming the project.

Look at First Contact: That is the anti-Trek Trek movie: You don't really need to know about the federation, warp mechanics, alien religions or which ensign was turned into what geometric shape and crushed by Andromedans.

Basicly, the whole movie is a mesh between the Terminator films (time travel to fulfill/prevent one's destiny), and a zombie horror movie (getting away from the enemy as they slowly fill their ranks with your former allies). I know people who won't watch a second of any trek series, or movie, except for that one.

What I'm tryin to say here is IF they made another Trek movie, it's gonna have to be some kinda story that will appeal to the mass audience: I mayself would love a movie with a Gorn/Tholian/Fed allience against extra-dimentional invaders, but I know in my heart that it wouldn't work. (unless it's written like ID4 or LotR.... )