Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: On Screen: Another TNG Movie?

Quote Originally Posted by Tobian
    I'm sure a comic was good because guess what.. comic book characters can be any age, don't age BUT can also look exactly like our favourite stars as they were.. You can't put Kirk, Spock, McCoy on the screen without them being a) pensioners pretending to be teenagers (shivvers) or b) somebody else... and then the fanboy arguments start!
    Actually, the comic was DS9 era, and had no connection (except setting wise and the return, of sorts, of Captain Pike). And I would NEVER want to see any of the originals try and play teenagers either. IF someone were to do this, it would have to be a new franchise, just like all the other shows.

Quote Originally Posted by Tricky
    Actually, the comic was DS9 era, and had no connection (except setting wise and the return, of sorts, of Captain Pike). And I would NEVER want to see any of the originals try and play teenagers either. IF someone were to do this, it would have to be a new franchise, just like all the other shows.
    You want an Academy-style show that have nothing to do with Star Trek? Why not?
    Anyhoo, just some random thoughts...

"My philosophy is 'you don't need me to tell you how to play -- I'll just provide some rules and ideas to use and get out of your way.'"
    -- Monte Cook

"Min/Maxing and munchkinism aren't problems with the game: they're problems with the players."
    -- excerpt from Guardians of Order's Role-Playing Game Manifesto

A GENERATION KIKAIDA fan

DISCLAIMER: I Am Not A Lawyer

Quote Originally Posted by REG
    So which is more important ... the story or actors' airtime?
    OK, bad writing on my side. What I meant was that if they keep busy with providing every character with airtime to pull the fans, we won't have a story. In most movies character and story is interlinked and not exchangable. Therefore I hope we won't have a crossover.
    We came in peace, for all mankind - Apollo 11

Quote Originally Posted by Evan van Eyk
    OK, bad writing on my side. What I meant was that if they keep busy with providing every character with airtime to pull the fans, we won't have a story. In most movies character and story is interlinked and not exchangable. Therefore I hope we won't have a crossover.
    Then the story must come first.

If one or few of the actors complain they don't have enough airtime, cast last-minute replacements.

"My philosophy is 'you don't need me to tell you how to play -- I'll just provide some rules and ideas to use and get out of your way.'"
    -- Monte Cook

"Min/Maxing and munchkinism aren't problems with the game: they're problems with the players."

A GENERATION KIKAIDA fan

While I don't think we should outright pander to their ego's one thing any nrew Trek movie needs is.. the actual actors! If the franchise has anything to sell it's self on it's the actors who make up the crew, and it would be throwing the baby out with the bathwater to get rid of them!
    Ta Muchly

Quote Originally Posted by Tobian
    While I don't think we should outright pander to their ego's one thing any nrew Trek movie needs is.. the actual actors! If the franchise has anything to sell it's self on it's the actors who make up the crew, and it would be throwing the baby out with the bathwater to get rid of them!
    Not just actual actors but the more visible stars. I mean to some fans, Seven is more appealing than B'Elanna, fair-haired blue-eyed Paris more to Kim. Kirk is more than Sulu or Uhura. Let's face it, there is a hierarchy of appeal when it comes to the franchise. It's the thing I don't believe in as a Trek fan, based on the fact that I'm a non-haole ethnic minority.

-- Monte Cook

A GENERATION KIKAIDA fan

After reading this... I'm wondering if I was the only person in the entire universe to actually LIKE Nemisis.

Quote Originally Posted by Brite Dip Man
    After reading this... I'm wondering if I was the only person in the entire universe to actually LIKE Nemisis.
    Yes you are.

Just kidding.

But seriously, you are.

Sorry, but if they hadn't introduced the Remans or the Picard clone, it wouldn't have ruined my love-hate passion for Romulans.

-- Monte Cook

A GENERATION KIKAIDA fan

Ahhh *headshaking* and you making such a good first impression...
    We came in peace, for all mankind - Apollo 11

I'll guess I'll join the heretics movement and admit I liked Nemesis. Regardless of problems, the biggest of which is that in the episode "Tapestry" they bloody showed what Picard looked like as a cadet and he WASN'T freaking bald! That aside, despite its problems, Nemesis is still a billion times better than ST:V. I know that isn't much of a standard, but ST:V is my standard for god awful Trek.
    "For to win 100 victories in 100 battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill." Sun Tzu - The Art of War

Both are part of the Apocrypha of Star Trek, IMHO. And maybe I'll throw in VOY and ENT to boot.

I mean . . . alien of the week, huge giant ship, explosions . . . oh my!

To quote Foamy:

OH, COME ON!

I expect better from my Trek. Explosions are fine . . . but story too, please!

DeviantArt Slacker MAL Support US Servicemembers
    "The Federation needs men like you, doctor. Men of conscience. Men of principle. Men who can sleep at night... You're also the reason Section Thirty-one exists -- someone has to protect men like you from a universe that doesn't share your sense of right and wrong." Sloan, Section Thirty-One

Actually, the clone was bald due to cloneing error in the clone processing. These things happen.

My personal favorite fan complaint of Nemisis was one guy I heard complaining about the 'vampiric' quality of the Remulans: He wondered if Joss Whedon (of Buffy fame) had ghost written the script, and when Troi was gonna start spouting witty remarks as she staked them.

Still, as Trek enters the long dark night until another series or movie (how long was the stretch between TOS and ST:TMP?) comes around, i guess all us armchair producers are gonna argue over this stuff for a while.

I still think the Gorn Vs. NG would be the coolest.

jk

How about a followup to all the problems that Voyager caused in the Delta Quadrent... I mean they had to break quite a few heads, I could see all these disseperate groups banding together due to the "common" threat of the Federation and launching some sort of mission to the Alpha Quadrent.

Not an attack, not at first. However some AQ factions want the Delta Quad goodies (like Quantum Slipstream and stuff like that) and our Favorite People (either TNG or DS9) have to prevent this from turning into a huge interstellar war.

There. Its got plot, it'll patch some Voyager Holes, some explosions, some technobabble and it just might work.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Pericles
    Regardless of problems, the biggest of which is that in the episode "Tapestry" they bloody showed what Picard looked like as a cadet and he WASN'T freaking bald!
    Hey. I and my receding hairline resent that. You thought he was as bald as Lex Luthor throughout his adolescence and the early part of his adulthood?

-- Monte Cook

A GENERATION KIKAIDA fan