Thread: Large scale ship battles

Post Large scale ship battles

Im wanting to make a large scale conflict as real as posible for my players. The setting is a major conflict during the dominion war with nearly 100 Dominion ships confronting an appropriately sized fleet in a nearly equal (at the start) combat. 2 questions:

What type of fleet would you configure to confront such a fleet (consdering the majority are oging to be AC's and a few exotice Dreadnought-sized ships (for fun).

Also, what is the best way to run the NPC battles? Im thinking of rolling quickly for TActics, tactical and conn and letting the best roll between two ships or a small formation win. Any ideas or input ?

This message has been removed on request by the
    poster

Alright, Styrofoam Man...

Having been an aquarist for years (no, that's not my sign... <nyuk> but it is, ironically, Pisces!) and having worked in more petshops than I care to own up to, not to mention having developed a deep dislike of Plecostomi...

I'm asking...

Yeah, since you brought it up, SFG, what's up with the fish? Oh, yeah, we'd probably better move this somewhere else, how about General Chat?

Oooh....
    Any chance of you posting your Starship combat system ?

A cross between SFB and LUG sounds very interesting....

Renny

poster

well...

it all started one day when I was cleaning my tank and I reached under a piece of driftwood. My pleco apparently took that as an invitation to travel up my arm. (and out of the water!)

Then, in the last pet store I worked in, I used to have to stick my arm in a tank full of 'em...

and then, of course, when they contracted some exotic disease, I had to dispose of them by the netful!!!

I dunno. I can handle fish poop and dead things; but when it comes to plecos I'm squeamish...

but if I had known you back then, I could have gotten you an entire FLEET plecos...

Robert

Lightbulb

poster

How to make your large-scale/mass battles more real, huh? Well here's my idea:

As a GM you generally know which way the battle will go (and if the players' ship is destroyed) anyway, so why not just set up several quick individual encounters that will determine the casualties of the players' side?

Say your characters are posted to one of two or three Defiant-class ships assigned to run interferance for and defend the Galaxy-class
    U.S.S. Bismarck on a "capture the station/base/planet" mission.

You decide that the Federation will win the battle, and that there are twenty capital ships on the mission, including the Bismarck. As GM you decide that there will be seven individual encounters that the players will face, and that Feds will suffer 20% casualties should the characters survive each one. In Trek style though, friendly ships will cover your players' butts, preventing their ship from getting destroyed outright. For every encounter during the battle that the players do poorly with, add 10% to the causualty count.

That way, you don't have your story's ending hanging by a thread, while simultaniously having the bulk of the battle's success directly on the players' shoulders.

Hope this helps!

Aw! But that takes all the fun out of it!

------------------
    '...The Borg have stopped at deck 10...'
    '...Deflector Control, no vital systems...'

Not a vital system! What the heck do you think stops the ship going 'poof' every time it goes to warp?

- ST:First Contact; Lt Hawk

:P

BTW, please, please, please tell me that the pleco was a cardie battleship!

I had one game using SD rules and had the PC's roll all the hit locations.

Multiple torps straight for the bridge they couldn't blame that one on me

Fortunely for them and unfortunely for me it was a critical time travel ep so they survived in a round about way

------------------
    SIRSIG
    AKA: SirPostalot
    AKA: The MapMaker
    AKA: The Trek Cartographer
    AKA:...Well I could keep going forever