Thread: Official Site in danger of Closure

Official Site in danger of Closure

Well it does seem like its open season on Trek, officially anways. The offical StarTrek.com website is in endanger of being shut down now. No trek on TV, no Communicator now this whats next? Pocket books shuts down trek line.

http://www.trektoday.com/news/061205_03.shtml
    Draftsmen in Training

That's rather sad. I wonder if they're considering selling the property
    A brave little theory, and actually quite coherent for a system of five or seven dimensions -- if only we lived in one.

Academician Prokhor Zakharov, "Now We Are Alone"

Quote Originally Posted by BouncyCaitian
    That's rather sad. I wonder if they're considering selling the property
    Sadly, right now, I don't think there's anyone who wants it that a) could afford it, and b) could do anything with it.

Unhappy

Hai....so ka.

Give it to Strazynski....he's about our only hope
    A brave little theory, and actually quite coherent for a system of five or seven dimensions -- if only we lived in one.

Academician Prokhor Zakharov, "Now We Are Alone"

Please god no! know we want it bad, but all that stuff is just fluff, if a handy archive.. all the cool fan websites will remain I am sure *eyes Magnus*
    Ta Muchly

I am hardly there at all, so actually I do not care too much. The only negaive side would be that with that a return of Trek become more and more unlikely.
    We came in peace, for all mankind - Apollo 11

Last I heard from the fine folks at Pocket, the Trek book line is alive and well and will be through at least 2007; given that it's a licensed property, though, that could change, I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Ineti
    Last I heard from the fine folks at Pocket, the Trek book line is alive and well and will be through at least 2007; given that it's a licensed property, though, that could change, I guess.
    But the license is interior to the Viacom congolerate as Pocket Books is an imprint of Simon & Schuster.

According to the above article, where the Star Trek property ends up is still up in the air (or atleast not announced). You would think that they would spend some time to decide where it is going consider Paramount is being split up between the new Viacom & CBS and get the word out as it would seem to be a major cash cow atleast right now in license and reruns. They even moved up the split from 1st quarter 2006 to 12/31/2005.

The above article indicates the most likely home is at CBS and Simon & Schuster is definitely is there, too. And give the fact that Pocket Books is still putting out Trek books it would seem a good ideal for them to take over the startrek.com site as long as they 'draw a line' between the TV & movies material and the book material if it is added to the site.
    Member, TrekRPGnet Development Team | OD&D Guild - The Guild for Original (Classic) D&D | FlintGamers |Free Web Hosting

Guys, you're doing a Chicken Little schtick here. The reason the site is in danger of closing is because the entire Paramount Digital Entertainment is being trashed. The reason that Star Trek Communicator died was Decipher Inc. There's no connection. Get a grip, guys.

Quote Originally Posted by Owen E Oulton
    Guys, you're doing a Chicken Little schtick here. The reason the site is in danger of closing is because the entire Paramount Digital Entertainment is being trashed. The reason that Star Trek Communicator died was Decipher Inc. There's no connection. Get a grip, guys.
    I'm being a realist. Trek has been cancelled, there's virtually no interest in it - at least not enough to garner the numbers that Paramount demands. Of course, this isn't THAT big of a deal to me, when you think about it ... the 'fanon' years were some of the best years of Trek, after all. ^_^

Question

Quote Originally Posted by Owen E Oulton
    So, which media group gets the Star Trek franchise?

If Paramount Digital Entertainment is being shut down, what will replace them with regards to digital and electronic licensing?
    Anyhoo, just some random thoughts...

"My philosophy is 'you don't need me to tell you how to play -- I'll just provide some rules and ideas to use and get out of your way.'"
    -- Monte Cook

"Min/Maxing and munchkinism aren't problems with the game: they're problems with the players."
    -- excerpt from Guardians of Order's Role-Playing Game Manifesto

A GENERATION KIKAIDA fan

DISCLAIMER: I Am Not A Lawyer

Quote Originally Posted by TrekToday.com
    Eugene "Rod" Roddenberry and Trek United may join forces to try to save Startrek.com, according to Save Enterprise.
    Trek United is also running a "Save Startrek.com 100,000 email Campaign".
    Member, TrekRPGnet Development Team | OD&D Guild - The Guild for Original (Classic) D&D | FlintGamers |Free Web Hosting